How to install WineAsio? (Maybe I'm dub)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ZephB

How to install WineAsio? (Maybe I'm dub)

Post by ZephB »

Hey,
for those who don't wanna bother themselves with reading the full story here is my problem: I've installed wineasio in what seems to be the proper way to do so (via the Kx studio repo), I've registered it with the command wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll, but it doesn't show up in my installation of ableton live. What did I miss?
I'm using Linux Mint XFCE and I've installed ableton live 10 lite with play on linux! It's working really well but wineasio doesn't show in audio options...
Thanks for those of you who will take the time to help figure this out ^^
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: How to install WineAsio? (Maybe I'm dub)

Post by Toejam76 »

Can't really provide a good answer because I don't use wineasio, but maybe WINE has to set to wineasio as well beside registering the Windows files.
I set wine to ALSA with winetricks and it shows up as such in winecfg. Maybe that's what you have to do with wineasio. I would argue that ALSA might be the better choice, because just like on Windows you probably don't want to use ASIO for everything.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

ZephB wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:16 pm Hey,
for those who don't wanna bother themselves with reading the full story here is my problem: I've installed wineasio in what seems to be the proper way to do so (via the Kx studio repo), I've registered it with the command wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll, but it doesn't show up in my installation of ableton live. What did I miss?
I'm using Linux Mint XFCE and I've installed ableton live 10 lite with play on linux! It's working really well but wineasio doesn't show in audio options...
Thanks for those of you who will take the time to help figure this out ^^
What wine version you have? I think in some wine-staging version wineasio did not work.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

WineAsio is a really tricky poney, I highly recommend you to use Av linux, it has already it built in properly :wink: . By the way, a new AV LInux release is coming soon. Stay tuned :D
grayson

Post by grayson »

Hi,

I've been trying to install the audio software FL Studio (64 bit) for days now, and I just can't get the WineASIO driver to work properly, so i hope you guys can tell me what I'm doing wrong. :wink:

I am running a 64 bit Arch Linux (Linux zeros 4.0.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 6 18:37:49 CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux).

Packages installed manually or as a dependency are:
wine (1.7.44-2), wine-mono (4.5.6-1), winetricks (20150416-1), wine_gecko (2.36-1), wineasio (0.9.2-5), jack (0.124.1-3), qjackctl (0.3.13-1), lib32-jack (0.124.1-1) and lib32-ncurses (5.9-3)
I also copied the Microsoft fonts needed from a Windows machine to .wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts and did a usermod -aG audio.

When I run regsvr32 wineasio.dll, wine regsvr32 wineasio.dll or wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll, I get the following:
Code: Select all

$ wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
regsvr32: Successfully registered DLL 'wineasio.dll'
err:ole:array_write_variance_and_marshall unknown array format 0x60
err:ole:array_write_variance_and_marshall unknown array format 0x60
err:rpc:I_RpcReceive we got fault packet with status 0x6f7
err:rpc:I_RpcReceive we got fault packet with status 0x6f7
I'm no Wine expert by any means and I don't really know what I'm doing here, different websites tell me different things ...

I also don't know what exactly I should do with qjackctl, I tried disabling "Realtime", I enabled "Soft Mode" with 4 periods and checked "Force 16bit", following the instructions on a website. Interestingly, as I just found out by prefixing qjackd with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 to get the English option names, I cannot even set the last 2 things mentioned, because these options are greyed out.
Anyways, there are no connections shown (just "ALSA/14: Midi Through"). I'm a bit surprised that I actually can hit the "Start" button without an error, because that's what had happened all the time before.
2 days ago, FL studio kept on saying sth like "Couldn't find WineASIO driver." each time I selected WineASIO, now it just says "The needed sample rate (44100Hz) couldn't be set or is not supported by the ASIO driver. Please try another sample rate.", no matter what sample rate I choose from the drop-down list. After that, it says "Division by zero." ... :shock:

I would really be happy if any of you could say what the problem is and what I need to do (or did wrong)! :D
There are Best White Blackout Curtains Of 2021. White Blackout Curtains give an elegant look to your room get yours! ready to buy.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

You're plenty smart, things just move fast, it's easy to miss a few road signs at crucial turn-offs. Here's a list to consider,
not meant to be terse, just honest.

1. If you burn an AVLinux dvd, you can compare it's working wine/wineasio install locations with your own.
Also, you'll learn if it's a system you'd like to install that's in working order. It's using openbox now, instead of xfce

2. FLS is a dead end in linux, as are Ableton, Cubase, ProTools etc, long live microsoft, the big-box daw codebases
are just too big for wine, and the devs don't care about linux.

3. Because Reaper has a solid linux version to team with it's windows reaper running in wine, you'll find that a working wineasio is
mostly a non-issue, because the new yabridge and linvst plugin wrappers are so good, you'll be recording with alsa or jackd
97% of the time. yabridge setup is easy, run a path command like

yabridgectl add /home/grayson/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins"

for each of your vst folders, followed by:

yabridgectl sync

which will then do the wrapping. linvst is also easy, but the wrapper use and results should be kept on separate installations.
Put a price-per-hour card on your free time, and you'll find reaper is the cost-efficient choice for using windows plugins
with a record button in linux.

4. Without using a preconfigured distro, I recommend getting Wine-stable 6.0 from https://www.winehq.org/
(After Wine-Staging 6.4, serious regressions entered wine effecting audio in linux, so wine-staging V 6.4 is the newest
that should be used for now, and 6.10 is out with some things still not fixed. Avlinux uses a safe V 6.2 for now, and it works fine.
I copied over my vsts from a nicely working Ubuntu Studio setup, and am happy with the results.

Cheers
autumncheney
Established Member

Post by autumncheney »

i just installed the wineasio deb file from here: https://kx.studio/Repositories:Applications and ran this command:

wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll
and i was able to select it as my soundcard in openmpt

make sure to install both the deb for your architecture and the data files

btw the above command is for the x64 driver, for x86 run this:

regsvr32 wineasio.dll
please check out my newgrounds account, i post music and talk to people here: https://acheney.newgrounds.com

i have a soundcloud and bandcamp too (just music here):
https://soundcloud.com/officialacheney
https://acheney.bandcamp.com