Mogwai multiband gate

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sunrat
Established Member

Mogwai multiband gate

Post by sunrat »

I just came across this Win/Mac plugin - Mogwai Mgate-Multi which is a multiband gate, a class of dynamics processor I haven't seen before so I downloaded the Win version.
It installs OK but I have no idea how to make it work as it doesn't show in Carla after a scan. It's the first VST3 Win plugin I've tried so may be missing something. I have a few Win VST2 plugins working perfectly with LinVST or Carla and FirComp VST3 working fine too but that's a Linux native version iirc.
Plugin is currently free for a short time from https://mogwaiaudiotools.com.au/product/mgate-multi/ . You need to sign up to download it unfortunately but that was painless (except why do they need my street address for a digital download? :( ).
I figured it may be a useful tool and if anyone gets it working in Linux, I'd love to hear about it. I've seen gates where the trigger frequency is adjustable but never before one with 6 independent frequency bands.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: Mogwai multiband gate

Post by robbert-vdh »

I installed the plugin and everything works great here with yabridge 3.1.0, wine-tkg 6.4, and a clean Wine prefix. Yabridge is also the only way to do real VST3 plugin bridging at the moment, so I'd recommend giving it a try! There are comprehensive installation and setup instructions in the readme under the usage/automatic setup setction. Let me know if you have any questions.

EDIT: But, yeah, the plugin itself doesn't look that great. There's no visual feedback for the gate threshold, UI settings (for the visualizer for instance) are lost when you reopen the editor, and the mouse cursor sometimes disappears when you click on the in/out visualization buttons.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Thanks @robbert-vdh I'll give that a try sometime. I've reverted to winehq-stable as wine-staging wasn't working when I installed the distro a few weeks ago so presumably yabridge won't work with that.
The instructions are indeed comprehensive! BTW, the link to Steinberg " merged VST3 bundle" gives 404.
Good to know this plugin can be made to work.
I'm not too worried about the GUI deficiencies although they sound annoying. I learned audio when we used ears rather than eyes! :mrgreen:
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

sunrat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:37 am Thanks @robbert-vdh I'll give that a try sometime. I've reverted to winehq-stable as wine-staging wasn't working when I installed the distro a few weeks ago so presumably yabridge won't work with that.
The instructions are indeed comprehensive! BTW, the link to Steinberg " merged VST3 bundle" gives 404.
Good to know this plugin can be made to work.
I'm not too worried about the GUI deficiencies although they sound annoying. I learned audio when we used ears rather than eyes! :mrgreen:
Yabridge will work with any Wine version out there at the moment. The builds up on GitHub will only work with Wine (Staging) 6.0 and higher because of some internal changes in Wine, but if you compile from source it can adopt itself to work with any Wine version from Wine 5.0 and up. Oh and good catch for that broken link! With VST 3.7.2 they restructured the documentation website, so all existing links are broken now.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Close but no cigar:

Code: Select all

meson.build:98:2: ERROR: Problem encountered: Because of a bug in Wine < 5.7
you cannot build yabridge with VST3 support using these older Wine versions.
Use the '-Dwith-vst3=false' build option to disable VST3 support.
Guess I'll have to get a newer Wine. :( IIRC the wine-staging I installed was 6.5 and I recall reading it had it's own issues. I didn't get any Win VSTs to work with it. All the Win VST2 plugins I tried with winehq-stable seem to work fine with Carla or LinVST.

$ apt list -i winehq-stable
Listing... Done
winehq-stable/unknown,now 5.0.4~bullseye-1 amd64 [installed]
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

sunrat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:02 pm Close but no cigar:

meson.build:98:2: ERROR: Problem encountered: Because of a bug in Wine < 5.7
you cannot build yabridge with VST3 support using these older Wine versions.
Use the '-Dwith-vst3=false' build option to disable VST3 support.
Guess I'll have to get a newer Wine. :( IIRC the wine-staging I installed was 6.5 and I recall reading it had it's own issues. I didn't get any Win VSTs to work with it. All the Win VST2 plugins I tried with winehq-stable seem to work fine with Carla or LinVST.

$ apt list -i winehq-stable
Listing... Done
winehq-stable/unknown,now 5.0.4~bullseye-1 amd64 [installed]
On Ubuntu you'll probably want to use the official WineHQ repositories anyways, since Ubuntu's own Wine versions never get updated and the way they're packaged deviates a bit from how it's packaged in most other repos which can cause some headaches. You can find instructions on how to install winehq-staging on Ubuntu here. You may want to remove the existing Wine packages first to avoid confusion using `sudo apt purge wine*` (this will not touch your Wine prefix in ~/.wine). And on Ubuntu you'll probably also want to just use the prebuilt versions of yabridge that you can download from the releases page.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

This is on Debian Bullseye with winehq-stable from WineHQ OBS repo.

apt policy winehq-stable
winehq-stable:
  Installed: 5.0.4~bullseye-1
  Candidate: 5.0.4~bullseye-1
  Version table:
 *** 5.0.4~bullseye-1 500
        500 https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/Debian_Testing_standard ./ Packages
I originally installed winehq-staging 6.5 from there which didn't work. 6.6 is now available from there so might give that a try. Tomorrow.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

sunrat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:18 pm This is on Debian Bullseye with winehq-stable from WineHQ OBS repo.

apt policy winehq-stable
winehq-stable:
  Installed: 5.0.4~bullseye-1
  Candidate: 5.0.4~bullseye-1
  Version table:
 *** 5.0.4~bullseye-1 500
        500 https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/Debian_Testing_standard ./ Packages
I originally installed winehq-staging 6.5 from there which didn't work. 6.6 is now available from there so might give that a try. Tomorrow.
Wine 6.5 and 6.6 break a few things (I listed all of them in the OP of this Wine bug), but yabridge 3.1.0 can work around those issues.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:21 pmWine 6.5 and 6.6 break a few things (I listed all of them in the OP of this Wine bug), but yabridge 3.1.0 can work around those issues.
I guess winehq-staging 6.6 would break Carla again which I don't want to lose. I use it standalone to run LSP Parametric for system-wide room correction EQ which is essential. Will wait for a Wine version with these issues fixed. This is the first Win VST3 I've tried to run and it is definitely not essential. Thanks for your help anyway, I learned some more things eg. never set up Meson before.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

sunrat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:48 pm I guess winehq-staging 6.6 would break Carla again which I don't want to lose. I use it standalone to run LSP Parametric for system-wide room correction EQ which is essential. Will wait for a Wine version with these issues fixed. This is the first Win VST3 I've tried to run and it is definitely not essential. Thanks for your help anyway, I learned some more things eg. never set up Meson before.
Carla only uses Wine when you use the Wine versions of its plugin bridges. If you don't use those, then Carla doesn't care which Wine version's installed.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:53 pm
sunrat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:48 pm I guess winehq-staging 6.6 would break Carla again which I don't want to lose. I use it standalone to run LSP Parametric for system-wide room correction EQ which is essential. Will wait for a Wine version with these issues fixed. This is the first Win VST3 I've tried to run and it is definitely not essential. Thanks for your help anyway, I learned some more things eg. never set up Meson before.
Carla only uses Wine when you use the Wine versions of its plugin bridges. If you don't use those, then Carla doesn't care which Wine version's installed.
Aah, OK. I don't actually know much about how Carla works, time for more learning! I do have several Carla bridges including carla-bridge-win64 and carla-bridge-win32, can I remove those without losing functionality?