[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.5.2

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:27 pm so should I just post my error message there?
I had to switch back to 6.14 of wine-staging. was hoping 6.16 would fix things
No, Wine 6.15 and Wine 6.16 broke yabridge. See the #announcements channel on the Discord for more information (or the readme, but that's kept brief and doesn't mention how you can build a version of wine-tkg 6.16 that works).
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.5.2

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:29 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:27 pm so should I just post my error message there?
I had to switch back to 6.14 of wine-staging. was hoping 6.16 would fix things
No, Wine 6.15 and Wine 6.16 broke yabridge. See the #announcements channel on the Discord for more information (or the readme, but that's kept brief and doesn't mention how you can build a version of wine-tkg 6.16 that works).
I'll stick with 6.14 for now as it works great
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.6.0, October '21 edition

Post by robbert-vdh »

Yet Another yabridge update, just in time for the quarterly release pact. This update is mostly about quality of life improvements and small bug fixes for obscure plugins. The Wine->X11 drag-and-drop implementation has been made even more robust so it can handle more curve balls thrown at it, like the nonstandard drag-and-drop implementation in Samplab. The warnings for incorrect system configuration have also been made more visible through desktop notifications, so it should no longer be possible to miss these and run into weird issues later. We also added a workaround for a bug in an underlying library that would cause yabridge to crash when using an invalid system locale, which can happen on Arch (btw) after skipping part of the installation process. And finally, the real reason for the bump to 3.6.0 (which is definitely not just to be able to reach yabridge for Workgroups 3.11), we replaced an old yabridge.toml compatibility option intended to fix window sizing issues in PSPaudioware E27 with a better version that also fixes similar GUI issues in SoundToys Crystallizer.

The full changelog with all fixes and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.6.0
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.6.0, October '21 edition

Post by Toejam76 »

Awesome as ever :) One thing plagues me a little that is maybe not even related to yabridge, but I don't know what causes it.
Example: Carla runs a wine-bridged plugin, then adding a "yabridged" plugin takes down the DAW instantly and leaving Carla zombified. The weird thing is, after restarting the DAW it may just work for some reason. Currently using Reaper 6.37,wine 6.19 staging, UbuntuStudio 21.10, but that happened on older versions, too.
This output is from yabridge trying to start the plugin before the crash:

Code: Select all

[Wine STDERR] Carla prevented a plugin from calling 'fork', bad plugin!
 The Wine host process has exited unexpectedly. Check the output above for more information.
Carla prevented a plugin from calling 'exit', redirecting to '_exit' instead, bad plugin!
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Toejam76 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:34 am Awesome as ever :) One thing plagues me a little that is maybe not even related to yabridge, but I don't know what causes it.
Example: Carla runs a wine-bridged plugin, then adding a "yabridged" plugin takes down the DAW instantly and leaving Carla zombified. The weird thing is, after restarting the DAW it may just work for some reason. Currently using Reaper 6.37,wine 6.19 staging, UbuntuStudio 21.10, but that happened on older versions, too.
This output is from yabridge trying to start the plugin before the crash:

[Wine STDERR] Carla prevented a plugin from calling 'fork', bad plugin!
 The Wine host process has exited unexpectedly. Check the output above for more information.
Carla prevented a plugin from calling 'exit', redirecting to '_exit' instead, bad plugin!
You enabled an experimental option in Carla that prevents plugins from forking. When a plugin does it anyways, Carla will terminate itself. You'll have to disable that option.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

You'll have to disable that option.
Thanks for the quick answer. I guess that would be the Wine plugin bridge. I found out why it worked sometimes before, I have added plugins with Carla after yabridge and that works until I add another yabridge plugin. Not a biggie, I can work around that.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Toejam76 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:17 pm

You'll have to disable that option.
Thanks for the quick answer. I guess that would be the Wine plugin bridge. I found out why it worked sometimes before, I have added plugins with Carla after yabridge and that works until I add another yabridge plugin. Not a biggie, I can work around that.
No, you need to disable the option that blocks these functions. Not Carla bridges. I'm not in front of a computer right now so I can't make a screenshot for you.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

Got it, it's "Prevent unsafe calls from plugins". Thanks again!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Sorry to interrupt here but congrats on the new release I'm just getting up to speed..

So is there a consensus on a functional new Wine-Staging version? I'm still on hold at 6.4..
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

GMaq wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:14 pm Hi!

Sorry to interrupt here but congrats on the new release I'm just getting up to speed..

So is there a consensus on a functional new Wine-Staging version? I'm still on hold at 6.4..
Wine Staging 6.19 seems to have fixed all of the regressions I ran into in 6.8-6.14, and there should have been a lot of improvements compared to previous versions. For instance, some Direct3D11 based plugin GUIs that would previously cause everything to hang for a couple of seconds when closing the GUI now close instantly.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:50 pm
GMaq wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:14 pm Hi!

Wine Staging 6.19 seems to have fixed all of the regressions I ran into in 6.8-6.14, and there should have been a lot of improvements compared to previous versions. For instance, some Direct3D11 based plugin GUIs that would previously cause everything to hang for a couple of seconds when closing the GUI now close instantly.
Thanks for the tip...upgraded Wine-Staging for the first time literally in months and upgraded to yabridge 3.6.0 and so far on my very old and conservative collection of WinVST's everything seems happy! Great work!
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

Hey!
I've tried following the pipewire guide on your github, but I keep getting the RTlimit error. Any ideas as to why it wont take? I've managed to change from 48 to 44.1 through the config files but for some reason this setting doesnt seem to stick.

Note, I have tried placing the config files in both etc/pipewire and .config/pipewire.
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

christobal wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:16 pm Hey!
I've tried following the pipewire guide on your github, but I keep getting the RTlimit error. Any ideas as to why it wont take? I've managed to change from 48 to 44.1 through the config files but for some reason this setting doesnt seem to stick.

Note, I have tried placing the config files in both etc/pipewire and .config/pipewire.
So are you trying to get rid of the RTTIME limit, or are you trying to change your sample rate? Those are two unrelated things. For the RTTIME limit, copy /usr/share/pipewire/jack.conf to ~/.config/pipewire/jack.conf, remove the # before the two lines mentioning rt.time.soft and rt.time.hard, and changes those values from 2000000 to -1. Make sure that you're using your DAW's JACK backend and that you you're not accidentally using the PulseAudio backend.
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:26 pm
christobal wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:16 pm Hey!

So are you trying to get rid of the RTTIME limit, or are you trying to change your sample rate? Those are two unrelated things. For the RTTIME limit, copy /usr/share/pipewire/jack.conf to ~/.config/pipewire/jack.conf, remove the # before the two lines mentioning rt.time.soft and rt.time.hard, and changes those values from 2000000 to -1. Make sure that you're using your DAW's JACK backend and that you you're not accidentally using the PulseAudio backend.

The RTTIME limit! I worded it badly, i mentioned the sample rate as an example of the conf files being read.

And yes, I followed those steps, I use Ardour with the jack backend - but it still throws me those errors.

When I changed the sample rate I had to do put he conf file in /etc/pipewire/ for systemwide for some reason, but neither location worked with the jack.conf and rt.time params.

This is from the jack.conf (i've tried not uncommenting the first two also):

{ name = libpipewire-module-rt
        args = {
            nice.level   = -11
            rt.prio      = 88
            rt.time.soft = -1
            rt.time.hard = -1
        }
        flags = [ ifexists nofail ]
    }
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

christobal wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:31 pm The RTTIME limit! I worded it badly, i mentioned the sample rate as an example of the conf files being read.

And yes, I followed those steps, I use Ardour with the jack backend - but it still throws me those errors.

When I changed the sample rate I had to do put he conf file in /etc/pipewire/ for systemwide for some reason, but neither location worked with the jack.conf and rt.time params.

<snip>
How are you launching Ardour? What do you get when you open a terminal and run

bash -c 'LANG=C ulimit -a'
in there? What's the value of the topmost entry there (real-time non-blocking time)? If that's set to unlimited, then try launching Ardour from that terminal. Do you still get a notification about your RTTIME limit?