[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.5.0, with lots of small fixes and a rewritten embedding implementation

Post by robbert-vdh »

Toejam76 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:04 pm Adding a path works, but with a dll:

Code: Select all

./yabridgectl blacklist '/home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll'
error: Found argument '/home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

If you tried to supply `/home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll` as a PATTERN use `-- /home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll`
Doing so, does this:

./yabridgectl blacklist `-- /home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll`
bash: command substitution: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `('
bash: command substitution: line 1: `-- /home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll'
yabridgectl-blacklist
Did I get the syntax wrong? Tried blacklist -- 'path' too.
It's `./yabridgectl blacklist add`. Type `./yabridgectl blacklist` to see all available options for the blacklist subcommand.
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.5.0, with lots of small fixes and a rewritten embedding implementation

Post by Toejam76 »

Sorry, just saw it and edited my post while you posted :oops:
But it's the same thing:

./yabridgectl blacklist add `-- /home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll`
bash: command substitution: line 1: `-- /home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll'
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Toejam76 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:08 pm Sorry, just saw it and edited my post while you posted :oops:
But it's the same thing:

./yabridgectl blacklist add `-- /home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll`
Backticks in bash (or any Bourne compatible shell) are for shell substitution. This lets you run a command, and use the output of that as an argument for another command. The more modern, preferred syntax uses $() instead of backticks. Bash is telling you that there's a syntax error in this command (because of the parentheses). But, you don't want a subshell! Instead, you should use single quotes (not backticks), and you can drop the double dash because whatever path you're going to add doesn't start with a dash. So then you'd get this:

~/.local/share/yabridgectl blacklist add '/home/plasma/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Steinberg/Vstplugins/KORG/MidiFilter.dll'
Just repeat that for the other invalid plugin files and you should be good! When you then rerun `~/.local/share/yabridgectl sync` it will ask you if you want to remove the .so files created for those .dll files. You can then just rerun the command once more with the --prune option appended at the end to clean up those files.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

Thanks a ton for explaining this Linux black magic. This indeed works now!
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.5.1, more editor tweaks!

Post by robbert-vdh »

This release addresses an important regression in yabridge 3.5.0 where using multiple instances of a single VST3 plugin in Ardour and Bitwig Studio could cause the plugin's editors to not work at all until you open every instance's editor at least once. Other than that, there have been a lot of tweaks and refinements to yabridge's editor handling. There's a new feature that allows you temporarily directly focus the plugin's GUI to prevent the host from stealing key presses (as Bitwig Studio for instance normally allows you to still press Space to pause and resume the transport while interacting with plugins), and there have also been a lot of refinements to how and when yabridge grabs and releases input focus.

The full changelog with a complete list of fixes and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.5.1
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.5.2

Post by robbert-vdh »

Yet Another small bugfix release. This fixes a regression in yabridge 3.5.1 where a small number of VST3 plugins (including the new Kontakt VST3 plugin) would not resize their editor correctly. And technically SysEx support for VST2 plugins is a new feature in this release, but the only reason it wasn't implemented earlier is because I was sure nothing needed it (I was wrong).

The full changelog can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.5.2
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.5.2

Post by funkmuscle »

I'm on ArchLinux and it seems like every other wine-staging update, I have issues.

Finished setting up 56 plugins using copies (0 new), skipped 7 non-plugin .dll files

Warning: Could not run 'yabridge-host.exe'. Wine reported the following
    error:

00f4:err:seh:NtRaiseException Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
    addr 0x7bc2dc17

Make sure that you have downloaded the correct version of yabridge for your
    distro.
    This can also happen when using a version of Wine that's not compatible with
    this version of yabridge, in which case you'll need to upgrade Wine. Your
    current Wine version is '6.15 (Staging)'. See the link below for
    instructions on how to upgrade your installation of Wine.

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge#troubleshooting-common-issues
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:03 pm I'm on ArchLinux and it seems like every other wine-staging update, I have issues.

<snip>
Wine Staging 6.16 won't work with any 64-bit Winelib application compiled with C++, so that's the problem. See Wine bug #51596 (the technical explanation is missing calling conventions in function pointer casts resulting in UB). Openglfreak submitted a patch for this, so it should be fixed by Wine 6.16. If you want to stay up to date with these kinds of things, then I encourage you to join the Discord! I posted about this there and in yabridge's readme ten minutes after the update got released. :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Ok so I'll downgrade wine-staging for now and I just deleted discord off of my phone :mrgreen:
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

Looks like wine 6.16 staging still has some bug:

Warning: Could not run 'yabridge-host.exe'. Wine reported the following error:
010c:err:seh:NtRaiseException Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x7bc2e067
Well, back to 6.14
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Toejam76 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:56 am Looks like wine 6.16 staging still has some bug:

010c:err:seh:NtRaiseException Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x7bc2e067
Well, back to 6.14
The regression has indeed not been fixed yet (it's in the readme and on the Discord :D). I also posted some instructions there on how you can build your own wine-tkg 6.16 with the fix for this if you're running Arch or Manjaro.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 am
Toejam76 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:56 am Looks like wine 6.16 staging still has some bug:

Well, back to 6.14
The regression has indeed not been fixed yet (it's in the readme and on the Discord :D). I also posted some instructions there on how you can build your own wine-tkg 6.16 with the fix for this if you're running Arch or Manjaro.
how to find you on discord?
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:40 pm how to find you on discord?
Seems like you got it. :D
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:02 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:40 pm how to find you on discord?
Seems like you got it. :D
yep :mrgreen:
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

so should I just post my error message there?
I had to switch back to 6.14 of wine-staging. was hoping 6.16 would fix things