[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.3.1

Post by robbert-vdh »

GMaq wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:20 pm Having come this far I have to ask... Is there any kind of bridging script that could be run with EnergyXT to translate Plugins using `VSTPluginMain`to`main` or would that involve creating something as complex as yabridge itself all over again. Unfortunately obtaining the EnergyXT source code isn't possible... but man if it was Open Sourced it could sure be a contender again pretty quickly!
If the plugin's open source then you could add that entry point and compile the plugin yourself. Otherwise you'd either need some shim plugin exposing both entry points that loads another 32-bit Linux VST2 plugin and calls that plugin's VSTPluginMain entry point, or you can load the plugin in a 32-bit version of Carla (but I personally find interacting with plugins through Carla a bit awkward).
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:54 pm
GMaq wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:20 pm Having come this far I have to ask... Is there any kind of bridging script that could be run with EnergyXT to translate Plugins using `VSTPluginMain`to`main` or would that involve creating something as complex as yabridge itself all over again. Unfortunately obtaining the EnergyXT source code isn't possible... but man if it was Open Sourced it could sure be a contender again pretty quickly!
If the plugin's open source then you could add that entry point and compile the plugin yourself. Otherwise you'd either need some shim plugin exposing both entry points that loads another 32-bit Linux VST2 plugin and calls that plugin's VSTPluginMain entry point, or you can load the plugin in a 32-bit version of Carla (but I personally find interacting with plugins through Carla a bit awkward).
Yeah I have experimented with 32bit Carla on 32bit systems and it works pretty well (as well as you'd expect to load something up in a 3rd party Rack) I've experimented with running 32bit Carla on a 64bit system and in theory according to falkTX it should work but I haven't got it working yet and it would be too cumbersome for it to be an install and go setup on a 64bit system..
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@robbert-vdh

I whipped up a little basic UI script for the most common yabridge options, it is set up for your default installation location in ~/.local/share/yabridge.. It is crude but effective but it also only requires yad and xterm which are included by default in most distros now.. It is not intended to supplant yabridget! I will probably make it part of the Wine setup stuff in a new AVL-MXE Assistant for bullseye but if you have any interest in it I can pass it along once it's prettied up a bit... no blacklist or prune functions yet though.

yabridge1.png
yabridge1.png (18.34 KiB) Viewed 11793 times
yabridge2.png
yabridge2.png (15.35 KiB) Viewed 11816 times
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

To any who may be interested..

Here's a tiny self-contained very simple yabridge-ui script using zenity/xterm, no special icons etc. and with your file manager set to allow scripts and by making this script executable you simply double-click on it in the file manager (ie Thunar) and run it..

If you are using XFCE4 with Thunar and you aren't able to run scripts and want to enable that ability you can set it with this command:

Code: Select all

thunar -q && xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default --create --type bool --set true
*NOTE it is important to realize by doing this any scripts can be executed by clicking NOT just the script linked here! As a side benefit the '.run' files that the official Ardour and Mixbus bundles come in will also then simply launch and run by clicking in the file manager.. For the record AVL-MXE comes with this feature enabled by default..

*EDIT: Here is a minor update that also allows you to check and verify your VST folder paths in the yabridge 'config.toml' file:

yabridge3.png
yabridge3.png (33.26 KiB) Viewed 11725 times

Script updated and attached let me know if it isn't working as expected:
yabridge-ui-zenity-2.zip
(920 Bytes) Downloaded 111 times
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.4.0, with the first-ever Wine->X11 drag-and-drop support, a complete audio rewrite, and much more

Post by robbert-vdh »

I'm very excited to finally be able to share this new yabridge release with all of you! In terms of changes this has been the largest update since yabridge 3.0.0. Usability improvements were the main focus of this update, but this release also includes another round of optimizations to reduce yabridge's DSP load overhead even further. The most important change there is that the audio processing implementation has been completely rewritten to use a hybrid approach of a shared memory audio buffer combined with yabridge's usual socket-based message passing. This reduces the amount of additional work needed to process a buffer of audio significantly while still maintaining all of the benefits of yabridge's flexible communication design.

On the usability front, the main standout feature here is support for drag-and-drop from a Windows plugin running under yabridge to a native application, such as your DAW. This is the first time that this has been possible under Wine, and it should make using plugins that can generate audio or MIDI much more enjoyable. Another improvement worth mentioning is that yabridge will now actively prevent plugins from hiding the mouse cursor in incorrect ways. This prevents the cursor from permanently disappearing at random when using JUCE based plugins without breaking any functionality where the mouse cursor is supposed to be hidden, like when dragging knobs.

The full changelog with an exhaustive list of new features and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.4.0
Last edited by robbert-vdh on Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.4.0, with the first-ever Wine->X11 drag-and-drop support, a complete audio rewrite, and much more

Post by sysrqer »

Just gave this a try with Ozone 8. When I've used this before with different bridges it is a very resource intensive plugin but it seems much lighter now with yabridge. I don't have any numbers to compare this but there's definitely an improvement.
Kott
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.4.0, with the first-ever Wine->X11 drag-and-drop support, a complete audio rewrite, and much more

Post by Kott »

The sad irony that d'n'd doesn't work in native Linux JUCE plugins.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Kott wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:17 am The sad irony that d'n'd doesn't work in native Linux JUCE plugins.
Does dragging things from native JUCE plugins also not work? I know that at least for Vital drag-and-drop to the plugin doesn't work, while it does work fine for the standalone version. Don't know if this has ever been reported to the JUCE folks though.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

robbert-vdh wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:25 am
Kott wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:17 am The sad irony that d'n'd doesn't work in native Linux JUCE plugins.
Does dragging things from native JUCE plugins also not work?
Yes.
Don't know if this has ever been reported to the JUCE folks though.
Cannot say for sure now.
At least it was reported to plugins / hosts devs, TAL, Tracktion iirc. (I haven't opensourced reproducible example yet)
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

When I open a plugin loaded with yabridge in Ardour or Mixbus it runs in fullscreen. Is there a setup to make the window the size of the plugin (like in LinVst)?
Attachments
yabridge_.png
yabridge_.png (252.61 KiB) Viewed 11631 times
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

luciorgomes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:56 pm When I open a plugin loaded with yabridge in Ardour or Mixbus it runs in fullscreen. Is there a setup to make the window the size of the plugin (like in LinVst)?
What version of Ardour are you using? I've never seen that.
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:35 pm
luciorgomes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:56 pm When I open a plugin loaded with yabridge in Ardour or Mixbus it runs in fullscreen. Is there a setup to make the window the size of the plugin (like in LinVst)?
What version of Ardour are you using? I've never seen that.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

luciorgomes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:46 pm <snip>

Does this happen with all plugins? Or just this one? I could only find Guitar Amp 2.0 FE online, and that one doesn't do this.
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 pm
luciorgomes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:46 pm <snip>

Does this happen with all plugins? Or just this one? I could only find Guitar Amp 2.0 FE online, and that one doesn't do this.
It happens with all wine plugins. I believe it's related to KDE. I've tryed to change the windows rules for Mixbus (in KDE) but no sucess. The same on Ardour.
In Reaper works fine.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

It's definitely not just related to KDE Plasma. I've been using KDE Plasma since way before I started work on yabridge, and I've never seen this (nor has it happened for anyone else). So something else must be at play here. What Wine version are you using, and does this also happen with a clean Wine prefix (to account for things like the virtual desktop option being enabled, although it still works just fine for me even with that option enabled)?