Non-linux alternative to music playback via calf bass enhancer (wine reversal)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nick87720z
Established Member

Non-linux alternative to music playback via calf bass enhancer (wine reversal)

Post by nick87720z »

My question is about somewhat reverse, comparing to wine. I previously had experience, configuring PulseEffects with bass enhancer (using calf bass enhancer) to extend percieved bass frequency range. For some return I made a preset (for now only one): https://github.com/nick87720z/pulseeffect-dev-preset
I don't do fine EQ tuning through visible range due to lack of reference to compare with, so bass enhancer is the only thing I left in use. Although from begining I followed guide by Markus Schmidt, found in PulseEffects manual, I found most of things of little use for simple music listening - e.g., multiband compressor looks great for audio analysis, but not to enjoy music. I use Defender Audio USB instead of speakers due to damaged jack port. It's range is relatively good, so I just had to slightly enhance it. As for test - well, as I'm fan of Alizbar & Ann'Sannat group, I could proposed this for test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNRz4crlJtk. Without bass enhancer only base G-dur note has more or less good bass, while lowest note, which is 3 tones lower (stage VI) has pure sound. Another difference to mentioned guide - assuming all processing is in floaring point, I place enhancing before cutting unaudible frequencies, as after cutting there should be nothing to harmonize.

Back to main goal - I want to write short post about bass enhancer way, but would prefer if that could be doable not only in linux (otherwise I see no point for such a post). Although I have no way to test anything in Mac OS, I have a wine. First idea was to find native PulseEffects equivalent. I found win10 dedicated article, which mentioned two things - Equalizer APO and FxSound. However, first one needs real hardware, and showes empty hardware list for wine. For second one - even installer doesn't run. So, I could not even check if they ever have harmonic bass enhancer. Next option was to check players, I could remember. I checked VLC, smplayer, clementine, quodlibet and audacious. Nothing has bass enhancer. Audacious has ladspa plugin, with GTK3 editor. But even with LADSPA_plugins-win-0.4.15 from audacity - I found no ready to use bass enhancer. Modern calf doesn't even provide LADSPAv1 interface. And harmonic generator from swh is only usable in modular systems like carla or ingen. Could be doable if new qjackctl patchbay was used as patchbay editor in audacious-qt. Yet I still have to test this approach (using ladspa, included to win installer from audacity, with carla).