[Solved] Plugin disappeared from Carla's list

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Toejam76
Established Member

[Solved] Plugin disappeared from Carla's list

Post by Toejam76 »

This is strange and not really expecting an answer, but who knows.
Updated to Wine 6.5 today and finger crossed Carla still loads. Wanted to add a plugin (EmulatorX3) and
noticed that it's gone from the Favorite list and it's not in other lists either.
Rescanned all plugs again and it's still gone. I was just about to vomit blood, because I am working on something that involves it but decided to load the standalone .exe instead and it f-ing works!
Fortunately I had an older reaper project with that plugin and that loads too. It's in the Carla Rack, but definetly not in the list and I checked back and forth and yes, the search bar is empty. Had that before.
So I can't add this plugin anymore to new projects, only load the the old one that still contains it and I have no idea what's going on. Carla was a bitch today.

EDIT:

After hours looking and trying everywhere and everything, I rescanned the plugins without the "Run processing checks during scanning" option and the plugin reappeard. This option was always enabled and the plugin was found before.
Maybe Wine 6.5 has something to do with it. I have around 150 VSTs and EmulatorX3 is the only one affected by this.
Maybe this is helpful to someone with a similar problem.
jolinemelina

Re: [Solved] Plugin disappeared from Carla's list

Post by jolinemelina »

This totally depends on which Linux distribution are you using? Also how you installed the Audacity?
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

I am using Ubuntu Studio 20.10 and didn't install Audacity. Are you replying in the right thread? :D
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

There seem to have been issues with every other WINE release lately. Maybe you already know there's an issue with 6.5, at least for yabridge. On my computer (but not on every computer), there was also an issue with OpenGL and Mesa (I'm not even sure what that is!) so many of my plugins wouldn't load. I rolled back to WINE 6.4 Staging, and a somewhat earlier Mesa, and now everything works again.

Maybe this is similar to your issue - in Carla, I could run the plugins as long as I didn't try to open their GUI.

I'm using yabridge for Reaper, and Carla's native bridge, and these were definitely WINE/Mesa issues, since it affected them both.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

Yeah, I came across that issue. Yabridge seems better for my stuff than carla. Seems smaller and I don't need a patchbay usually. I have Wine 5.5 currently installed , because I realized after updating to Ubuntu Studio 21.04 that there is no repo for it yet. Wine5.5 doesn't work right with Yabridge (failed to load windump). I guess that resolves when the update comes around.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Failed to load winedump means that you don't have winedump installed (it's usually just part of the Wine package, but not in the Ubuntu or Debian repos). The binaries on GitHub probably also aren't going to work with Wine 5.5 since they're built with Wine 6.0 and Wine makes some backwards incompatible changes regarding the Winelib format form time to time (last time being when Wine 6.0 got released). So you'd either have to compile yabridge from source (and given your repos contain Wine 5.5 and not some 6.0 version you're probably on Debian Stable or Ubuntu 18.04, which makes compiling from source a bit difficult) or you need to install Wine Staging 6.4 from the winehq repos. You can do the latter by adding the repos according to the instructions on the WineHQ wiki (https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu), and then installing Wine Staging 6.4 using the command below: (replace focal with your distro's code name)

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging=6.4~focal-1 wine-staging=6.4~focal-1 wine-staging-amd64=6.4~focal-1 wine-staging-i386=6.4~focal-1
You may also want to temporarily prevent these packages from upgrading using the command below. You can later repeat this with unhold to allow these packages to be updated again.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-mark hold winehq-staging wine-staging wine-staging-amd64 wine-staging
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

Thanks for the help, but the thing is I can't update from WineHQ, because the 21.04 repo isn't there yet. But it's not that bad. As a "workaround" I use the Windows version of reaper for a few plugins that are working with wine 5.5 and Linux reaper for the native rest.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Toejam76 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:26 pm Thanks for the help, but the thing is I can't update from WineHQ, because the 21.04 repo isn't there yet. But it's not that bad. As a "workaround" I use the Windows version of reaper for a few plugins that are working with wine 5.5 and Linux reaper for the native rest.
You should be able to just use the focal or groovy repos for the time being. Or you could even just manually download the .debs from https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/ if needed.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

Oh neat, didn't know that. I thought I had to use the current repo. So winehq-devel 6.6 works, staging didn't work with Carla and I could run yabridge again. Carla found most of the plugins, some are still missing like Korg Legacy Collection and Emulator X3, but they work standalone. Yabridge is a step further and syncs the plugins, but reaper hangs when it scans them. Maybe it's the copy protection.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Toejam76 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:16 pm Oh neat, didn't know that. I thought I had to use the current repo. So winehq-devel 6.6 works, staging didn't work with Carla and I could run yabridge again. Carla found most of the plugins, some are still missing like Korg Legacy Collection and Emulator X3, but they work standalone. Yabridge is a step further and syncs the plugins, but reaper hangs when it scans them. Maybe it's the copy protection.
No it's Wine 6.6. Wine 6.5 had a bunch of regressions caused by a change in the way launching applications works, and they're still present in Wine 6.6 (I listed all of them in this wine bug). Yabridge's master branch has a workaround for these issues (there will be a release on Thursday) so you can either download that from the automated builds page (and run `yabridgectl sync` after replacing the files to upgrade yabridge), or you can downgrade to Wine Staging 6.4 for the time being until these issues are fixed.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

That's great and thanks for your support. I will keep an eye on it.