Wine Staging 6.3 bug affecting Wine vst bridges

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Wine Staging 6.3 bug affecting Wine vst bridges

Post by ubuntuuser »

Wine Staging 6.3 has a bug that stops Wine vst bridges loading.

Try rolling back to 6.2 or installing Wine Stable 6.

Wine Staging 6.4 should be ok.
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: Wine Staging 6.3 bug affecting Wine vst bridges

Post by Toejam76 »

So it's not just here on my installation. I didn't make a thread, because I thought I screwed something up.
I had the same issue after updating to 6.3 and went back to Wine 6.0 stable which works fine.
a.d.
Established Member

Post by a.d. »

I hit this issue because Fedora upgraded to Wine 6.3. LinVst has a bug for it: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/issues/179
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Some AVL-MXE Users have reported this issue as well and I strongly suggest being patient and cleanly updating to Wine 6.4 when it arrives rather than trying to backtrack with Wine versions that are not from WineHQ, this has potential to be a real mess so please just wait and update..

I also STRONGLY suggest pinning Wine-Staging 6.4 (if it is working properly when released) WinVST is like juggling knives, all it takes is a Wine Update, a Bridge update, A WinVST Plugin update or a DAW Update to pull the rug out from under you. This is a hack, a useful hack, a beneficial hack but still a house of cards that shouldn't be taken for granted to be safe with constant blanket upgrades IMHO.

[opinion]
In my home studio on our production machine all off the pieces for WinVST support are pinned and not upgraded for literally years at a time, if a new Windows plugin comes out and doesn't work to me it is never worth risking the 100 that work perfectly, also in general we should be trying to look for Linux plugin solutions and using these VST hacks to fill in the blanks until Linux stuff gets there.
[/opinion]
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

GMaq wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:54 pm I also STRONGLY suggest pinning Wine-Staging 6.4 (if it is working properly when released) WinVST is like juggling knives, all it takes is a Wine Update, a Bridge update, A WinVST Plugin update or a DAW Update to pull the rug out from under you. This is a hack, a useful hack, a beneficial hack but still a house of cards that shouldn't be taken for granted to be safe with constant blanket upgrades IMHO.

[opinion]
In my home studio on our production machine all off the pieces for WinVST support are pinned and not upgraded for literally years at a time, if a new Windows plugin comes out and doesn't work to me it is never worth risking the 100 that work perfectly, also in general we should be trying to look for Linux plugin solutions and using these VST hacks to fill in the blanks until Linux stuff gets there.
[/opinion]
Wine-Staging 6.2 works, so downgrading to it works. And sure, that is possible for pinning, nearly as good as 6.4.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tavasti wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:08 pm Wine-Staging 6.2 works, so downgrading to it works. And sure, that is possible for pinning, nearly as good as 6.4.
In the specific case of AVL-MXE the Wine-Staging versions are coming from the WineHQ repository for Debian Buster, is there a clean downgrade path from there that you know of?

And yes absolutely if you haven't upgraded you can pin version 6.2 (or prior) to avoid the 6.3 breakage.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

GMaq wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:19 pm In the specific case of AVL-MXE the Wine-Staging versions are coming from the WineHQ repository for Debian Buster, is there a clean downgrade path from there that you know of?

And yes absolutely if you haven't upgraded you can pin version 6.2 (or prior) to avoid the 6.3 breakage.
At least for my ubuntu bionic I just commanded apt to install older version from winehq repos, and everything worker again. Most likely same thing works for that?

My command was:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install wine-staging=6.2~bionic-1 wine-staging-i386=6.2~bionic-1 wine-staging-amd64=6.2~bionic-1 winehq-staging=6.2~bionic-1

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tavasti wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:44 pm
GMaq wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:19 pm In the specific case of AVL-MXE the Wine-Staging versions are coming from the WineHQ repository for Debian Buster, is there a clean downgrade path from there that you know of?

At least for my ubuntu bionic I just commanded apt to install older version from winehq repos, and everything worker again. Most likely same thing works for that?

My command was:

sudo apt install wine-staging=6.2~bionic-1 wine-staging-i386=6.2~bionic-1 wine-staging-amd64=6.2~bionic-1 winehq-staging=6.2~bionic-1
Thanks for the info, as a note to readers the naming for bionic won't work for Debian Buster users and would need to be changed in the command for this to work.. I'm not on a Linux box to check what the correct naming would be at the moment.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Copied from the MX Forum

The way to downgrade from 6.3 to 6.2 is actually not so difficult since all these versions are still in the WineHQ repo.
To downgrade..
As Root:

apt install winehq-staging=6.2~buster-1 wine-staging=6.2~buster-1 wine-staging-amd64=6.2~buster-1 wine-staging-i386=6.2~buster-1 wine-staging-dev=6.2~buster-1
And then you can lock the packages with:

apt-mark hold winehq-staging
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I have moved from 6.3 to 6.4, in two Ubuntu setups, and my wrapped vst plugins are working again! Hurray...
Several core system libs were also updated in synaptic, and after a reboot, I was very happy to have a full toolchest.

And also a newly added 'Swanky Amp', and updates for Vitalix synth 8)
Cheers
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:13 am I have moved from 6.3 to 6.4, in two Ubuntu setups, and my wrapped vst plugins are working again! Hurray...
Ok, thanks for notifying. I can now update from 6.2 -> 6.4

Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

There is a fresh bug in 6.5 ( can't load start.exe). I noticed when several programs stopped working. Staying with 6.0 for now.
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

I have two (that I've found) VSTs I can't run, Tritik's "Moodal" and Sound Guru's "The Mangle." I've already rolled back my Wine to 6.4 (6.5 was breaking yabridge), but I couldn't get a functioning system when I tried going back to 6.3 (neither yabridge nor Carla liked me anymore).

Does this sound like it's the same issue? Maybe I just see if 6.6 fixes it... GMaq, I'm really understanding your "pinning" advice.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Wine 6.5 had some last minute changes in the way applications are launched, which introduced a few regressions. With the help of some other people in #winehackers I made a list of all of them here:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50869

Yabridge 3.0.2 is not able to terminate anymore because of that second issue. The current master branch version (see thee automated builds page) contains a workaround for this, but it's probably going to be easier to just use Wine 6.4 like you already were using because this new start.exe behaviour also breaks some other non-yabridge related things (if you were also using Wine for other things). If you do install the new master branch version, don't forget to re-run yabridgectl sync to update your yabridge installation.

If you want, you can join the yabridge Discord. We have an announcements channel there for tracking issues like this so you don't have to find these things out yourself.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

There seems to be 6.7 available, anybody tested it yet?