Airwave: not getting host response

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

quoiDraught
Established Member

Airwave: not getting host response

Post by quoiDraught »

Hello.
I'm currently struggling with running windows plugins on my Linux system.

I was using LinVst before but it stopped working on me one day, so I've decided to switch to easier run and debug alternative: airwave.
And turns out it also doesn't want to work on me. Here's log (log level: flood):

Code: Select all

1615293364.161331615293375.409456611    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Initializing plugin endpoint 1.3.3
1615293375.409466115    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Plugin binary: /home/zaloope/opt/so/TDR Kotelnikov.so
1615293375.409475339    TDR Kotelnikov.so : WINE prefix:   /home/zaloope/.wine
1615293375.409482447    TDR Kotelnikov.so : WINE loader:   /usr/bin/wine
1615293375.409489070    TDR Kotelnikov.so : VST binary:    /home/zaloope/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steinberg/VSTPlugins/TDR Kotelnikov.dll
1615293375.415397328    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Host binary:   /usr/bin/airwave-host-64.exe
1615293375.415410327    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Main thread id: 0x7f29fe155140
1615293375.416056596    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Child process started, pid=82403
1615293375.416288667    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Callback thread started
1615293375.416347652    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Waiting response from host endpoint...
1615293376.346392444    TDR Kotelnikov.so : Child process terminated
For some reason host binary (/usr/bin/airwave-host-64.exe) just refuse to respond and process get terminated. I get the same result with every vst I've tried to run so far and to be honest I'm quite puzzled at this point as to why would that happen.

I don't know if that's going to be useful but I'm using wine-6.3 which seems to work fine with other exes outside of VST emulation.

Thanks to anyone for help on advance!

P.S.I've tried to use Carla as well and bridge there also refuses to run on wine, so I get error message from wine that process got terminated. As for LinVst, I don't know any way to debug what's going on so I can't comment on what is happening there, but the symptoms are similar.
Last edited by quoiDraught on Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
my albums
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Airwave: not getting host response

Post by tavasti »

Airwave looks like dead project, no updates in 5 years, so it is possible that some stuff that is interfacing has changed too much.

Most recent and bragged to be best alternative is https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

And you'll also have to make sure that you're not running Wine 6.3 because of this bug. On Arch based distros you can use the downgrade tool (in the repos on manjaro, in the AUR on Arch) and use

sudo env DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade wine-staging
to downgrade Wine. On Debian based distros with the WineHQ repos it's a bit more involved because apt doesn't seem to understand version constrained dependencies, but

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging=6.2~focal wine-staging=6.2~focal wine-staging-amd64=6.2~focal wine-staging-i386=6.2~focal
(replace focal by your distro identifier if you're not running Ubuntu 20.04) should do the trick.
quoiDraught
Established Member

Post by quoiDraught »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:43 pm And you'll also have to make sure that you're not running Wine 6.3 because of this bug. On Arch based distros you can use the downgrade tool (in the repos on manjaro, in the AUR on Arch) and use

sudo env DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade wine-staging
to downgrade Wine.
Oh yeah! True, I've done that and now Carla's bridge works LinVst I've used before works. Thanks a lot!
my albums
quoiDraught
Established Member

Post by quoiDraught »

tavasti wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:41 pm Most recent and bragged to be best alternative is https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge
It's first time I've heard about that bridge! I'll try this one, it looks as simple as LinVst and yet a little bit more easy to use, which is perfect.

I wish there was more easy to find tutorials/blogs about linux music workflow... Because sometimes it's hard to be up-to-date with all information, especially if you're new.
my albums
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

quoiDraught wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 pm
tavasti wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:41 pm Most recent and bragged to be best alternative is https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge
It's first time I've heard about that bridge! I'll try this one, it looks as simple as LinVst and yet a little bit more easy to use, which is perfect.

I wish there was more easy to find tutorials/blogs about linux music workflow... Because sometimes it's hard to be up-to-date with all information, especially if you're new.
Let me know what you think! I spent the last year trying to raise the bar for the the whole 'using Windows plugins on Linux' experience because I felt it didn't work quite as well as I thought it could be working And now with yabridge 3.x we now also now do real VST3 bridging, which has been a missing piece on the Linux audio ecosystem for years.
quoiDraught
Established Member

Post by quoiDraught »

robbert-vdh wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 pm Let me know what you think! I spent the last year trying to raise the bar for the the whole 'using Windows plugins on Linux' experience because I felt it didn't work quite as well as I thought it could be working And now with yabridge 3.x we now also now do real VST3 bridging, which has been a missing piece on the Linux audio ecosystem for years.
Sorry for late response, couldn't try it out before. Hey, it works! So far so good and setup is easiest one so far!
I'm going to post my questions/thoughts here for now but is there a dedicated thread for this bridge?

So I have several questions:
1) Is there a way to manually setup directory where yabridge is going to make its .so files or is it better to just symlink in the folder I want? Maybe I'm missing something from the documentation, so I'm sorry.
2) On plugin scan I'm getting timeouts in Reaper and Ardour. Scanning takes a lot of time and reaper complains about plugins not responding, but unlike with other bridges they work anyways. With ardour tho, only some plugins appear in plugin list, others are just timeouting and never appear in plugin list. Is there a way to have yabridge log what's going on?
my albums
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

quoiDraught wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:11 am 1) Is there a way to manually setup directory where yabridge is going to make its .so files or is it better to just symlink in the folder I want? Maybe I'm missing something from the documentation, so I'm sorry.
Yabridgectl's sync process is a two way synchronization process. Yabridgectl needs some way to associate .so files with Windows VST2 plugins and to associate Windows VST2 plugins with .so files so it can keep all of your plugins up to date and let you remove leftover .so files after you uninstall a plugin. Because the VST3 standard only allows user local VST3 plugins to be installed inside of ~/.vst3, we had to take a more complicated approach for VST3 plugins to adhere to the specification. But for VST2 plugins storing those .so files next to the VST2 plugin .dll files makes everything much simpler for yabridgectl, while also making it clearer for you as the user because it's immediately obvious what Windows VST2 plugin a yabridge .so file belongs to. If your DAW does not let you easily add another VST2 plugin search directory, then you can also symlink the VstPlugins directory from your Wine prefix directly to ~/.vst. There's a snippet that does exactly that in the readme.
quoiDraught wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:11 am 2) On plugin scan I'm getting timeouts in Reaper and Ardour. Scanning takes a lot of time and reaper complains about plugins not responding, but unlike with other bridges they work anyways. With ardour tho, only some plugins appear in plugin list, others are just timeouting and never appear in plugin list. Is there a way to have yabridge log what's going on?
Are you using Wine 6.5? Among a few others, Wine 6.5 has [this regression](https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50869) which prevents yabridge 3.0.2 from exiting. The master branch version contains a workaround for this. You can find binaries on the automated buidls page, and if you're using Arch or Manjaro you can use the yabridge-git AUR package. But it may be better to just downgrade to Wine Staging 6.4 for the time being, as Wine 6.5 can also break startup for a few non-yabridge related things (if you use those). If you do upgrade to the master branch version of yabridge, then don't forget to re-run yabridgectl sync after replacing yabridge's files to complete the upgrade process.

And if you want, you can also join the yabridge Discord. There's an announcement channel for keeping track of issues like this so you don't have to run into them yourself to find out about them haha.

Hope that helps!
quoiDraught
Established Member

Post by quoiDraught »

Wow, that's a fast respond! :D
robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:37 am But for VST2 plugins storing those .so files next to the VST2 plugin .dll files makes everything much simpler for yabridgectl, while also making it clearer for you as the user because it's immediately obvious what Windows VST2 plugin a yabridge .so file belongs to. If your DAW does not let you easily add another VST2 plugin search directory, then you can also symlink the VstPlugins directory from your Wine prefix directly to ~/.vst. There's a snippet that does exactly that in the readme.
Got it! Thanks for the response, symlinking seems the obvious choice than. It's not bad tho, yeah, I knew about symlinking method, just wanted to ask if I'm missing something.
robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:37 am Are you using Wine 6.5? Among a few others, Wine 6.5 has [this regression](https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50869) which prevents yabridge 3.0.2 from exiting. The master branch version contains a workaround for this. You can find binaries on the automated buidls page, and if you're using Arch or Manjaro you can use the yabridge-git AUR package. But it may be better to just downgrade to Wine Staging 6.4 for the time being, as Wine 6.5 can also break startup for a few non-yabridge related things (if you use those). If you do upgrade to the master branch version of yabridge, then don't forget to re-run yabridgectl sync after replacing yabridge's files to complete the upgrade process.
Yes I am running 6.5! I've expected something like this to happen, wine as of lately seems to have a lot of problems with those bridges, and that's sad... Okay, I'll build yabridge-git from AUR. Honestly I'm thinking of just putting wine into ignorePkg list and let it be on the last working version, because, yeah...
I'm compiling yabridge-git, let's see if that will fix this issue.
robbert-vdh wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:37 am And if you want, you can also join the yabridge Discord. There's an announcement channel for keeping track of issues like this so you don't have to run into them yourself to find out about them haha.
Honestly, that would've be perfect! I'm just really tired of all those other bridges having no up-to-date news so I keep praying to god that my projects will still open after new wine update. Yabridge seems really responsive so far! I have faith in this bridge the most now.

Thanks a lot for the fast support! Would've be great to join yabridge discord
my albums
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Yeah you're right, I know exactly what you mean! Not having an active news channel, or even changelogs makes plugin bridging through Wine much more of a potential headache then it needs to be. That's definitely one thing I wanted to address with yabridge.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Just had a quick read of this thread and i have not yet taken time to acquaint myself with yabridge but if you're going to juggle knives with WinVST support for actual music production I strongly suggest pinning or locking your version of Wine or Wine-staging..

Wine 6.2 seems to be the last proven solid good version for WinVST support..
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

There are also no issues with Wine (Staging) 6.4. That's the version I've been recommending people to stick with unless they feel like upgrading to a development version of yabridge.