Problems Installing 64bit Windows VST

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

G M Slater
Established Member

Problems Installing 64bit Windows VST

Post by G M Slater »

I am running Ubuntu 20.04 and have wine64 5.0-3ubuntu1 and wine32:i386 5.0-3ubuntu1 installed. I have created a 64bit wine prefix by running:

WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 winecfg

In winecfg I set the default Windows build to Windows 10.

This all works fine, but when attempting to run Windows VST installers from .wine64/drive_c/ I get the following error "This program can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for the following processor architectures: x64". I am not ultra wine savvy, so I am assuming I am missing something pretty basic? Do I need to run the installer from the command line to specify that 64bit wine needs to be used? If so, what is the syntax? If not, what other advice can anyone give?

Thank you in advance.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Problems Installing 64bit Windows VST

Post by glowrak guy »

Try renaming that wine folder so it is not detected.
Then use a package manager to remove the 32 bit wine.

Then find the wine 32bit compatability app in the package manager,
or find the related command in a web search.

When successful, run winecfg.
This should create a new and working .wine folder,
based on the one wine version that is installed, capable of using
both 32 and 64 bit plugins, assuming your daw also can do that.
Reaper does, don't know about the others.
Cheers
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

You may try q4wine, is in the software center and with four clicks you can install in your favorite folder whre you have the rest of windows vsts.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I strongly recommend installing winehq wine, https://www.winehq.org/

I've installed dozens of vst plugins, and no problems. Currently I am using wine-staging

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Cyberkeys
Established Member

Post by Cyberkeys »

I did a pacman -Syu yesternight (I'm on Arch Linux) and normally, I directly downgrade Wine back to 5.11 staging, as this was the last version that worked for me.

Buuuut this time, I made a new .wine to see if problems got resolved in wine-staging 6.3-1 (which was my system-wide installation yesterday). I tried it at first with my old .wine where Kontakt was up and running, but I couldn't get carla bridges to load the plugin, neither could I get any sound out of the standalone application. Then, setting up a new .wine, there was still no sound until I somehow got wineasio running and I could hear sound coming out of the freshly installed Kontakt. However, the plugins could not be loaded in carla as it somehow got stuck on initialisation. On top, the wine-debug-logger froze on loading, so I could not find out what the problem might be. Same with other windows vsts like sforzando. And same with linvst-wrapped vsts. (This is painful :cry: )

I don't know what to try next, so I downgraded again and after wine set itself up, it worked again. And as glowrak guy said in another thread, it might be a better option to just keep the old wine version when the system is running.

So for me, the latest wine-staging does not work with vst-plugins and does break a lot of things which I am unable to solve.

(This thread has helped me a lot getting it to run in the first place:)
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16620
cyber cyber
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Wine 6.3 broke Winelibs (I reported it here shortly after Wine 6.3's release and it's been fixed in the next batch of commits). Temporarily downgrading to wine-staging 6.2 or building your own version of TK-Glitch's Wine fork are the two recommended solutions. If you use yabridge, then I strongly recommend joining our Discord so you don't miss things like this.