Spitfire Audio LABS (SOLVED, WORKING!)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

NomadJago
Established Member

Spitfire Audio LABS (SOLVED, WORKING!)

Post by NomadJago »

I was able to install Spitfire Audio LABS, but the problem is I can not get Carla to recognize the LABS vst probably because it is in ~/.wine which is a hidden folder. Any tips on how to get Carla to show LABS so I can load it up and try it with my Reaper for Linux DAW?
Last edited by NomadJago on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philotomy
Established Member

Re: Spitfire Audio LABS ?

Post by Philotomy »

You should be able to add the appropriate path by opening Carla, then choosing "Configure Carla", then "Paths", selecting VST2 and/or VST3, and adding the path where it should look for VSTs.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2
NomadJago
Established Member

Post by NomadJago »

Philotomy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:28 pm You should be able to add the appropriate path by opening Carla, then choosing "Configure Carla", then "Paths", selecting VST2 and/or VST3, and adding the path where it should look for VSTs.
I had tried that, using the ~/.wine/yadayada path to the VST folder, but Carla would not display the .wine folder in the Carla left side panel.

However, I copied the LABS vst (LABS (64 Bit).vst3 file to a visible folder in my home folder, added that new path (/home/me/SpitfireVSTs) as a vst3 path to Carla. Then, when I ran the standalone version of Carla I was able to see the LABS vst3 as an option in Carla and load it; and, when I clicked the loaded LABS in Carla and clicked the gears icon of it to configure it the LABS graphical interface appeared-- huge progress.

Problem-- when I run Reaper for linux, then load a Carla rack, and try to load LABS I get an error from Reaper saying the file is unrecognized. Sigh. I am going to play with this a little more, there must be a way to get it working if I was able to see the LABS gui when using standalone Carla.
NomadJago
Established Member

Post by NomadJago »

Hah! I got it working!

So after installing Spitfire's library manager app using Wine, I then logged into my Spitfire account and downloaded/installed just one of the LABS instruments to test this out. I also (not sure if needed) enabled experimental features in Carla including bridging of wine. On the left side of Carla I added a new directory, ~/.wine. Closed Carla.

I ran Qjackctl and started Jack.

I started a project in Reaper for linux and added a track and then added Carla as a VSTi plugin. Midi input all midi all channels. In Carla, I loaded LABS (64 bit).dll (not vst3!) from:
~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VSTPlugins/LABS (64 bit).dll

I clicked the gear icon for the loaded LABS in Carla and the Spitfire Audio LABS gui appeared and I was able to hear music!

This is a MAJOR breakthrough in composing in Linux! The LABS instruments are amazing and FREE. I have the more expensive Spitfire instruments in Windows 10, and perhaps those will install and work in a similar manner and if they do, well, wow that would be a total game changer so I would not have to dual boot into Windows 10 much at all.
NomadJago
Established Member

Re: Spitfire Audio LABS (SOLVED, WORKING!)

Post by NomadJago »

I was able to get ALL the Spitfire Audio LABS working! :mrgreen:
mianhe
Established Member

Post by mianhe »

NomadJago wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:18 pm I was able to get ALL the Spitfire Audio LABS working! :mrgreen:
Hi! What version of Wine are you using? I tried to install Spitfire Audio yesterday but no success :/ I have Wine version 3.6 running on Ubuntu18.04 LTS and while install I got an error message code 0029 about problems to load WineHID and the Spitfire GUI freezed showing the message "Downloading libraries..." then I got the message "Unable to download, installation will continue but Spitfire will not work correctly"

If someone can give me some advise I will appreciate it!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, that's a really old wine version, the latest is around wine-staging 6.21.
You'll need to fully uninstall your version with your package manager,
before installing a wine-staging release. You may have to reinstall items
that the package manager removes while removing wine.

https://www.winehq.org/ It has the files and instructions to use them.
Cheers
Orlev

Post by Orlev »

Took me over a month of tweaking and trying to get it...
Finally got working on Ardour with Carla and jack... Was tough, but worth it!
Did you manage to get it working in the end?