How do I add Carla as a plugin to Reaper for Linux? (SOLVED)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

NomadJago
Established Member

How do I add Carla as a plugin to Reaper for Linux? (SOLVED)

Post by NomadJago »

Help needed, I am stumped. I have Reaper for Linux and Carla installed and I even added a couple of instruments to Carla. But I can not figure out how to "add Carla as a plugin to Reaper".
https://appuals.com/how-to-use-windows- ... ve-builds/
My goal today is to try and figure out how to use Carla with Reaper for Linux to get a basic instrument or two as tracks in Reaper for Linux.
Last edited by NomadJago on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Largos
Established Member

Re: How do I add Carla as a plugin to Reaper for Linux?

Post by Largos »

There is an FX button on each track, this brings up a window to add plugins. You should be able to find plugins in there, including the carla ones. I think it should be there by default but if you can't find it in there, then you need to add the directory Carla is in by going to Options>>Preferences and clicking the "VST" section.
NomadJago
Established Member

Re: How do I add Carla as a plugin to Reaper for Linux?

Post by NomadJago »

Largos wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:38 pm There is an FX button on each track, this brings up a window to add plugins. You should be able to find plugins in there, including the carla ones. I think it should be there by default but if you can't find it in there, then you need to add the directory Carla is in by going to Options>>Preferences and clicking the "VST" section.
Doh! I knew all that from using Reaper in Windows, but I did not pay perfect attention to the specifics in this video
https://youtu.be/KuO39baiBGw

to see that the carla vst to add to the Reaper VST paths is:
/lib/vst/carla.vst/
AND I needed to pay attention that carla.vst is a FOLDER not a FILE! I searched my system for carla.vst using whereis and find but of course I was looking for a FILE but it is a folder. Once I added /lib/vst/carla.vst/ to the Reaper vst paths and did a rescan for new vsts, now when I add an FX to a track I see the Carla rack in the VST section of the available FXs! :)

Time to play with Carla in Reaper today! :mrgreen: