(Solved now) How to use Carla and Windows VST Plugins?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

LAM
Established Member

Re: (Solved now) How to use Carla and Windows VST Plugins?

Post by LAM »

@TAERSH that's an interesting approach. :D
It reminds me some old distro i tried some 20 years ago...

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

TAERSH
Established Member

Re: (Solved now) How to use Carla and Windows VST Plugins?

Post by TAERSH »

There's some GNU/Linux Operating Systems using the path of the (how I call it) Modular use of an Operating System.
I think the perhaps most popular to be is Tiny Core. Another one is Puppy Linux. But, perhaps Puppy is more popular?

My ArtStudio64 is created from WoofCE, which is the so-called Puppy Linux builder.
Though, it's definitely different from Puppy Linux, as usually you'll need to have at least a save file or save folder in use to make settings persistent in Puppy Linux. My OS doesn't need that save file or folder. I can configure my OS by a simple plain text file for the most options needed. Almost everything can be setup at boot by plain text files and scripts. All this is stored inside the N.E.M.E.S.I.S. directory. That's why I'm calling my OS by its full name as: N.E.M.E.S.I.S. LazY Puppy ArtStudio64. The part N.E.M.E.S.I.S. herein is a recursive acronym.

It means: N emesis E xtension M akes E veryone S earching I n S ources

Off Topic:

I have another funny recursive acronym in German. The name of our chancellor, MERKEL.

M erkel E rlaubt R eichsbürgern K ein E igenes L and :lol:

However, on Topic:

Meanwhile I composed my first song using the Windows VST plugin Synthesizer Crisalys. Pretty cool! 8)
So, thanks for pointing me to LinVST 3.21. :D
roiikka

Re: How to use Carla and Windows VST Plugins?

Post by roiikka »

Toejam76 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 am You need a few things installed beside carla and WINE like the bridges for Windows VST (carla-bridge-win32, carla-bridge-win64)
Check the ubuntu studio ppa or for the latest carla-git kx studio ppa, don't mix both or be very carful if you do so,
because they hold some of the same software and may collide.

Set the path to the DLLs, make sure WINE can access it in winecfg.
The bridges should show up in the scan screen of carla.
It should look something like the attach pic.
It can be a little tricky but once it works, it works.
BRO. OH MY GOSH .. .. .. I could not figure this out for the life of me for sooo LONG. THANK YOU! I had to make an account on here just to thank you. I care not if these answers are out there in abundance about this. You are the first of many then. All I had to do was enable experimental features and they show up now in Carla. WHAT. THEE. EFF.
Toejam76
Established Member

Re: How to use Carla and Windows VST Plugins?

Post by Toejam76 »

roiikka wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:06 pm BRO. OH MY GOSH .. .. .. I could not figure this out for the life of me for sooo LONG. THANK YOU! I had to make an account on here just to thank you. I care not if these answers are out there in abundance about this. You are the first of many then. All I had to do was enable experimental features and they show up now in Carla. WHAT. THEE. EFF.
LOL oki doki. Glad that helped. You are welcome :D