[SOLVED!] Trouble with Best Service/Magix Engine library (Era II Medieval Legends)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

orocroon
Established Member

Re: Trouble with Best Service/Magix Engine library (Era II Medieval Legends)

Post by orocroon »

Death wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:51 pm After a lot of messing around for hours and cutting a long story short, I got dotnet48 installed in my 64 bit prefix. I had to download it from Microsoft rather than via Winetricks though. The Winetricks version wouldn't show up as an installed program in a 64 bit prefix.

Anyway, I've tried running ENGINE but I just can't get the license manager to show up so I'm still getting the same error with finding the files like in my original post. I've tried uninstalling ENGINE and deleting any leftover files I can find then reinstalling it but it's the same. I've tried running the license manager exe but it just asks to uninstall itself when I do so.

Did the license manager just open on its own for you after adding a library and then trying to load a patch or did you need to do something else to trigger it?

I'm so close to getting this all working now after all this time... :wink:

Cheers.
Exactly, it shows up automatically when I try to load a patch. The missing license/registration is what triggers the "locate files" dialogue.

Did you try with a 32bit prefix? That seems to be the only differentiating piece in the puzzle at this point. I have a 32bit prefix only for the Engine 2 installation, everything else goes into my 64bit prefix. As I mentioned earlier, I think dotnet 4.8 is 32bit specific so it might just not be compatible with a 64bit prefix. There might be some other workaround for 64bit, but I have no idea what that might be.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

I tried making a 32 bit prefix and installing dotnet48 with Winetricks and it worked. I'm so close to what I need now..

I've just realised that the dotnet48 installer I got from Microsoft is apparently an update file even though it wasn't advertised as such. If I can find the full installer for 4.8 I might be able to get it all working in a 64 bit prefix.

The reason I need it to work in a 64 bit prefix is because all of my music software (including my DAW) runs in a 64 bit prefix. I'm not bridging this plugin to a Linux DAW so I can't really use it in a 32 bit prefix. That said, I now know it can infact work after all this time :) I'll have to just go off on a quest to get dotnet running in 64 bit now.. If anyone has any solutions to that then please post!

Thankyou to everyone that's helped figure this out! I've been waiting years to use this software... :wink:
orocroon
Established Member

Post by orocroon »

Death wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:39 pm I tried making a 32 bit prefix and installing dotnet48 with Winetricks and it worked. I'm so close to what I need now..

I've just realised that the dotnet48 installer I got from Microsoft is apparently an update file even though it wasn't advertised as such. If I can find the full installer for 4.8 I might be able to get it all working in a 64 bit prefix.

The reason I need it to work in a 64 bit prefix is because all of my music software (including my DAW) runs in a 64 bit prefix. I'm not bridging this plugin to a Linux DAW so I can't really use it in a 32 bit prefix. That said, I now know it can infact work after all this time :) I'll have to just go off on a quest to get dotnet running in 64 bit now.. If anyone has any solutions to that then please post!

Thankyou to everyone that's helped figure this out! I've been waiting years to use this software... :wink:
Here are 2 links to the offline installer for .NET 4.8, not sure if these are different from the ones you have tried.

WineHQ has a Download Offline Installer link beneath the list of dotnet versions. (it's links to Visual Studio's download section for .NET 4.8)
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=38203

The other is from Microsoft's support page for .NET 4.8
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 3c3e7495e0

I would guess that the plug-in file will still be the same one regardless of which prefix it was installed to. If you aren't using Yabridge, maybe copying the VST/.dll file from a 32bit prefix to your main 64bit prefix would work just fine after license registration is done, which can be done via the standalone version of Engine 2. This is guesswork on my part.
Death
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED!] Trouble with Best Service/Magix Engine library (Era II Medieval Legends)

Post by Death »

I've tried the Microsoft download already. I'll try that wine one you linked but I think it'll probably be the same.

I did actually manage to get dotnet40 installed into a 64 bit prefix via winetricks; I've edited my opening post with info about this. I'll keep testing and see if I can get a newer version installed but I think 4.0 will probably work ok otherwise.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting would work. It might be worth a shot if all else fails but I probably won't have to seeing as I got 4.0 installed in a 64 bit prefix anyway. I can't seem to install dotnet into my existing prefix with my music software so when I get the time, I need to create a fresh 64 prefix and set up all of my software again but with dotnet installed and Engine working first.

I'd say the issue is pretty much sorted now really. I will have to do a final test with everything installed of course. But the big mystery of why this plugin wouldn't work is out of the way and I'm relieved :)

Thanks for the help!