I need help installing wineasio on Ubuntu 19.10

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Arkforest
Established Member

I need help installing wineasio on Ubuntu 19.10

Post by Arkforest »

Hello,

I am trying to install WineASIO on Kubuntu 19.10 but I am having trouble with installing it, whether that be trying to compile the wineasio tarball modified with a bit of the Steinberg ASIO SDK or installing it from the KXStudio repos.

I am using these two links mainly to help me with the process:
https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ ... g_WineASIO
https://lkubuntu.wordpress.com/2014/01/ ... -wineasio/

So far I've encountered issues with dependencies when installing through the KXStudio repos and issues with 'make' command fatal errors when compiling the modified wineasio tarball. I would like to know how to overcome these frustrating obstacles, or possibly a better method of installing WineASIO.

Any help is appreciated,

Arkforest
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: I need help installing wineasio on Ubuntu 19.10

Post by jonetsu »

What is WineASIO ? I've been using Windows plugins now for a year and never saw it. I'm only using wine staging and linvst and it works fine. What is the need for WineASIO ?
Arkforest
Established Member

Post by Arkforest »

jonetsu wrote:What is WineASIO ? I've been using Windows plugins now for a year and never saw it. I'm only using wine staging and linvst and it works fine. What is the need for WineASIO ?
I want to be able to record my voice with a microphone on FL Studio without xruns.

I've never heard of linvst and now that I'm aware of it, I'll look into that.
Arkforest
Established Member

Post by Arkforest »

UPDATE: I have also since reinstalled with Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS and the dependency issues have since gone, as the KXstudio repositories are mostly updated for LTS. My new issue is I have trouble registering the wineasio DLL, as if I type "regsvr32 wineasio" or the same thing with "wine64", if fails to load the wineasio DLL. I haven't found a solution to this problem online, so I think there is something I might have missed, and I would like for it to be pointed out.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I still wonder what this wine asio is all about.
Arkforest
Established Member

Post by Arkforest »

Never mind, I found out that I needed winehq-staging, not winehq-stable.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

That's what I use for a bit more than a year. wine staging and linvst. Windows plugins from Voxengo, Melda Production, Rob Papen, Tone2, Sonic Charge, KV331, and a few more. Never heard of wineASIO and they all work rather well.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, wineasio can help when using standalone apps that don't get wrapped
by the (great) linvst, and there will be a few plugins, and some new ones,
which don't yet work with linvst, that may be desirable to use with
typically, wine and windows reaper version, with wineasio as the asio driver.

There are a few standalones that have tools not part of their plugin version,
Amplitube .exe has looper and recording functions, and I'm pretty sure Kontakt
cpu usage varies between plugin and standalone.

It would be nice for wineHQ, Ubuntu Studio, AVLinux and others, to have
distro-specific guides for successful registration of wineasio.dll,
even if it benefits a small number of users, it might help attract
win 10 refugees, and those not cash-flush (or crazy enough) to buy macs.

That said, the plugin-wrapping success rate of linvst is delightfully amazing, these days 8)
Cheers
HGM

Post by HGM »

I'm currently attempting to install ubuntustudio 20 on one of my laptops. It is utterly bizarre, this laptop. An HP EliteBook, almost identical to another one I bought. However, with this laptop, every Linux distro I try (and I've tried over ten by now) is overwhelmed with cpus maxing out, especially, but not limited to when I go online with any Web Browser. Dual cores, 200% of my CPU, 100% of the time. A cookie for anyone who can figure that one out.

Wineasio. In 2012, using a tool released by the people who created Linux Mint (I think), I created an ISO that installs something I call ubunstustudioXT. Hundreds of windows audio apps, using energyXT2 as sequencer, all running through wine and wineasio. The wine studio then integrates through jack with linuxaudio apps. And most VST and VSTis then work in linux sequencers like QTractor, using dssi-vst.

The whole thing runs incredibly well due to some RT kernels I found and installed, one from A. Bogani and another from Liquorix. That was in 2012.

Since then, I've upgraded my linux OS several times, but I've managed to retain the essence of this ubuntustudoXT DAW, by copying my wine directory and all the VSTis etc from the flashdrive install onto the harddrive install.

And here is where I get to the point: While my original ubuntu12.04 installed wineasio in the right location, for it to be registered and used successfully, I noticed that subsequent Ubuntus used other directories for wineasio. That only happened for a couple installs, as I switched from Ubuntustudio to AVLinux, which had wine and wineasio already installed and ready.

Back in the day, I wrote myself a tutorial on how to copy wineasio to the correct directory. Obviously I've lost it since. But that's where the registration problem lies, I'm certain of it. I'll try to track it down for this Ubuntustudio 20 install, and get back to you. Never even heard of LinVST.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

jonetsu wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:49 pm I still wonder what this wine asio is all about.
I really really think you're trolling, but not in a maliscious way, :wink: so I'll byte :wink:

In essence there are only two reasons to want wineasio:

1. The windows version of Reaper will occasionally be needed to host
some plugin, that currently won't scan/run in the linux version of Reaper.
And the windows Reaper uses wineasio*. The other windows audio tools often work,
but are latency toads...

2. A few desirable windows daws will work in wine, and need wineasio.
As will some excellent standalone windows executable softwares.

Recognizing that you are an entrenched and successful linux Bitwig user,
the point I think you want to make, is that linvst-wrapped plugins in linux daws
don't need wineasio, so why bother with it? A valid point for most linux musicians,
but not for all.

The first wineasio in Suse linux Jacklab, Redhat CCRMA, and soon after in Ubuntu Studio,
was a gamechanger, and when it became apparent that Reaper with wineasio would run the
majority of non-dongled windows plugins, the gloves came off, and bareknuckle
linux daw competition was born, and is still raging in it's own version of the octagon 8)
Bitwig, Mixbus, Reaper, Qtractor, Carla, Radium, Renoise, Tracktion, Waveform, LMMS,

:shock: https://www.slant.co/topics/6067/~daws-for-linux :shock:

and others all vying for several hundred cash-paying linux musician$, and hopefully
many more are on the way.

I love that linux Bitwig, Reaper and Mixbus can use linvst wrapped plugins,
hosting some the worlds great softwares. My biggest concern is that the
intrepid wine team will have difficulty keeping up with the trend towards
ever-more invasive and stringent 'product manager software. As it is,
Izotope, Propellorheads, Korg, AIR, and many others still fail to register their products
in 99.9% of cases, even though the same computer was used to buy and install the products :roll:
Fortunately, plenty of companies reg systems will work in wine or native linux,
and plenty of great free software has been released and upgraded throughout 2020.

*I suspect Reaper is the only daw where both a linux and windows version are useful
in the same partition, and can even run concurrently, should the need arise.
It would be pointless and futile to attempt running windows Bitwig or Mixbus in wine,
such daws come with huge win-centric codebases fraught with troubles for wine.
Windows Reaper installer is still around 12 meg, and runs fine for most basic
musical applications.

Happy New Year, everybody, and don't let that record button cool down :D
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

HGM wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:29 pm Back in the day, I wrote myself a tutorial on how to copy wineasio to the correct directory. Obviously I've lost it since. But that's where the registration problem lies, I'm certain of it. I'll try to track it down for this Ubuntustudio 20 install, and get back to you. Never even heard of LinVST.
There are likely bios options to curb the runaway cpu usage, but take notes and photos
after reading about potential causes, before tampering, and if trouble arises,
rely on your notes to restore settings, rather than pressing some 'bios default settings'
option. It's doubtful the computer even shipped with defaults in place.

You can't mix wine-staging with a distro-maintained wine. Removing an installed wine
will take out lots of dependencies and things you likely rely on, but those will need to be
reinstalled later, before or after installing wine-staging.

You can copy or link the wineasio.dll or wineasio.so as needed. As wine-staging installs to /opt
...and distros/dependencies may expect /usr/lib/wine instead, you can create that path,
install a wineasio.deb ...find where it's installed, and link or copy the file(s) over to where
the distros think they should be. And run the commands:

wine64 regsvr32 wineasio.dll

wine regsvr32 wineasio.dll

Success or failure will be confirmed.

If you need to run current windows commecial software, you'll need recent wine-staging
in most cases. If using windows freeware, or older software, or products with
basic serial-number registration, the distro wine, often V4.x is still quite good.
falkTX is maintaining both wineasio and jackd, so teamwork is sort of by default :wink:
(I realize you probably know this stuff, but new users are pretty common, so I mention
basics pretty often)
Cheers
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:50 am
jonetsu wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:49 pm I still wonder what this wine asio is all about.
I really really think you're trolling, but not in a maliscious way, :wink: so I'll byte :wink:
I have no idea what wine asio was about. I know nothing of Windows and never had to do anything with asio to run the $3000 of Windows plugins I got.

So thanks for the details.