Has anyone tried the hardware iLok USB device with linux?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Has anyone tried the hardware iLok USB device with linux?

Post by glowrak guy »

I tried insinstalling the Neutron 3 'mothership' demo, which installed OK,
but loading it or any of the many supporting plugins instantly crashes Reaper
in wine-staging 5.10. Ubuntu Studio 19.10
Mothership down...

but the future is out there...

I buy the Izotope plugins from PluginBoutique when on sale at no-brainer prices,
but my old win7 setup suddenly decided to become lvm_2, so needs a trip to the repair shop :wink:
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Last time I spoke to iZotope, they actually tried to help me get my plugins running on Linux. They weren't that committed to helping of course, seeing as they don't officially support Linux. But I didn't get the impression they were intentionally borking their products on Linux. But yeh, I imagine that 'modified' versions of their plugins might be the way around this. Though it's not something I've tried or would condone, of course.

I'm having the same sort of troubles getting 'ENGINE' from Best Service/Magix to work so that I can use Era II Medieval Legends. Plugins that use simple methods like a serial key or registry file usually activate fine, but the ones that use more complicated online methods cause trouble.

There's just no good Linux replacements for some of these plugins. And in my case, there's no DAW that compares to FL Studio so I have to run all Windows plugins anyway. My long term plan is to as much as possible, try and only buy plugins that have native Linux support so that one day I can use the Linux versions when I finally have a Linux native DAW. This will make the transition a lot smoother on that day.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

There is a linux daw that has a menu option, 'Save live output to disk',
and there are quality options to choose from in the config panel.
And you can sum all your linux app audio-outs via jackd, and record
them with Timemachine, for FLS or other apps to use,

And you can get lucky sometimes when recording outside the plan...but
one must admit when the luck runs out, and switch from recording to editing
Cheers