ILOK, eLicenser & Waves plugins....

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

kytdkut

Re: ILOK, eLicenser & Waves plugins....

Post by kytdkut »

thermionix wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:41 pm I'm attempting to try some VST plugins which require iLok on my Arch machine
and the installer always hangs at 'Starting Services'
Screenshot at 2020-05-08 07-36-25.png

wine-5.7-1
LicenseSupportInstallerWin64_v5.2.1_ece9b9c290

Have attempted overrides, seems to hang at the same point regardless
winetricks msxml3 crypt32

Have attempted the legacy version from the iLok site
LicenseSupportInstallerWin64_v2.4.8_r37293
Which installs but won't run post install

Any advice?
iLok Manager broke with 5.7 but works again with 5.8 on a clean prefix, at least with staging
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

I’ve got Waves plugins working using an old (pre-PowerShell) version of Waves Central.

I attempted to get Ilok plugins working today. Ilok manager installed successfully, along with Bonjour. The manager starts up and runs, but complains that the server is unavailable. I started up Ilok manager on my Mac and confirmed that the Ilok server is not suffering an outage, so there’s clearly some kind of disconnect going on in Wine. I’m guessing it’s Bonjor-related, but I’m having a hard time figuring that out.

I also have an iLok USB stick, but that isn’t recognized, and I didn’t really expect it to be.
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

I can confirm that the issue is that iLok License Manager app can't seem to see an internet connection at all. It's flashing error messages to that effect. I've got it set up on the same Wine prefix as Waves Central, which can connect to Waves' server. The License manager app installs and runs without issue. I'm using the latest wine-staging on Ubuntu studio 20.04.

I have installed all the following overrides:
mfc140
gdiplus
msxml3
d3d9
d3d10
d3d11

Plus the overrides I needed for Waves Central:
d3dx11_42
d3dx11_43
gdiplus
mfc42
vcrun2005
vcrun2008
vcrun2010
vcrun2012
vcrun2013
vcrun2015
webio
wininet

P.S.: Yes, I now know it's not good practice to use the same wine prefix for different purposes like this. Although I've been using Linux on and off for years, I'm actually kind of a newbie when it comes to Wine.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

I tried the iLok (software) out with the WaveArts Masterverb vst3 and LinVst3.

No overrides or anything else installed, just basic Wine Staging 5.13.

MX Linux, Wine Staging 5.13.

I installed the iLok License Manager (using Wine) and then opened up an account.

I then installed the WaveArts Masterb vst3 with iLok support (using Wine) and set it up using LinVst3.

First Reaper scan needed me to login to my iLok account for the WaveArts MasterVerb trial license and after that WaveArts MasterVerb ended up running ok.

The WaveArts MasterReverb license shows up in the iLok Licence Manager.

I don't know if it matters, but I had the iLok License Manager running and was logged into it while the WaveArts MasterVerb vst3 was being scanned.
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Set up a new Wine prefix, using wine-5.13 staging on Ubuntu Studio 20.04, no overrides or any special configuration. iLok license manager now starts up, recognizes my licenses, and even seems to be detecting the USB stick. More testing is required. I'm going to see if I can get PhoenixVerb working in Reaper on Linux!
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Okay, the plot thickens. I thought for a moment that iLok license manager was recognizing my iLok USB stick. Apparently, after I logged into my account, it recognized that I own an iLok USB dongle, but it doesn't actually see it. I was able to install Phoenixverb and used Linvst to convert it, but I can't actually use it because the license is on my dongle and I don't have a way to transfer it to the computer. I suspect that iLok cloud would work, but this particular plugin doesn't support iLok cloud.

On the whole, though, I'm pretty encouraged by all this. I never thought anything iLok would work on Linux at all!
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Update: I was able to transfer the license from my USB dongle to the cloud using my Mac, and then from the cloud to the Linux machine using License manager. Reaper found the plugin when scanning, but it doesn't show up in my list of available plugins when trying to add it to a track.
matyas
Established Member

Post by matyas »

Update number 2: I noticed that if I scan the plugins in Reaper, PhoenixVerb.so is located, but iLok License Manager then throws an error that the license server is unavailable. That's the same error that I was getting before I tried installing the License Manager in its own prefix. I should note that I installed PhoenixVerb itself in my original prefix, the same one I used for my Waves plugins, because the installer failed in a stock staging prefix (the one I used for the license manager) and I figured that some of the overrides I needed for the Waves plugins might be relevant. And sure enough, using those overrides, I was able to install PhoenixVerb, but I suspect there's some kind of a network conflict.

The prefix in which the plugins are installed does have wininet, winning, and libntlm0 installed as overrides - could that be causing a conflict?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Great that you're sharing your experiences! If anyone has some success, could you try
loading some Native Instruments plugins in the same project? My concern is Bonjour
interfearing with Native Access, and also Kontakt/Reaktor/Raum etc.

I have the AIR AIEP3 ilocked collection, and singles of AIR's Hybrid3, Xpand!2, Vacuum Pro, and Boom,
I'd love to get the singles going in linux!

It's wierd that big players like Korg, Propellorheads, Cakewalk By Bandlab, Izotope and others,
will let you buy and download their products in linux, then during registration,
claim the internet cannot be found :roll:

There must be two sets of programmers, that are not allowed to mingle at parties :wink:
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

matyas wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 pm Update number 2: I noticed that if I scan the plugins in Reaper, PhoenixVerb.so is located, but iLok License Manager then throws an error that the license server is unavailable. That's the same error that I was getting before I tried installing the License Manager in its own prefix. I should note that I installed PhoenixVerb itself in my original prefix, the same one I used for my Waves plugins, because the installer failed in a stock staging prefix (the one I used for the license manager) and I figured that some of the overrides I needed for the Waves plugins might be relevant. And sure enough, using those overrides, I was able to install PhoenixVerb, but I suspect there's some kind of a network conflict.

The prefix in which the plugins are installed does have wininet, winning, and libntlm0 installed as overrides - could that be causing a conflict?
Hard to say.

I have had that problem where I couldn't connect but I don't have it now.

The difference is (maybe) that I've got a totally new clean wineprefix with no overrides and that worked (in my post above), whereas I probably had some overrides when it didn't work but it was a fair while ago and I couldn't say for sure what I had in that wineprefix except that it wasn't a new clean wineprefix.

When it failed I might have been using Manjaro with a different computer whereas now I'm using MX Linux as a testing platform because it's Debian and seems to be pretty stable.

It might also be a net problem of some type.
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

I have a couple of things I was suckered into buying that would be nice to make some actual use of, but I'm worried that if it's this much trouble it'll get broken again pretty easily.
I'm going to need you to go ahead, and come in on Sunday, too.
Mr. Lumbergh
Established Member

Post by Mr. Lumbergh »

glowrak guy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:23 am Great that you're sharing your experiences! If anyone has some success, could you try
loading some Native Instruments plugins in the same project? My concern is Bonjour
interfearing with Native Access, and also Kontakt/Reaktor/Raum etc.

I have the AIR AIEP3 ilocked collection, and singles of AIR's Hybrid3, Xpand!2, Vacuum Pro, and Boom,
I'd love to get the singles going in linux!

It's wierd that big players like Korg, Propellorheads, Cakewalk By Bandlab, Izotope and others,
will let you buy and download their products in linux, then during registration,
claim the internet cannot be found :roll:

There must be two sets of programmers, that are not allowed to mingle at parties :wink:
That's the thing that really gets on my nerves. I have some Izotope stuff and AIR too that I've given up trying to get working, but the demo did just fine. If the demo works, it isn't right that the full version doesn't.
Then there's other stuff I have by Waldorf, KV331, and Soundspot that works beautifully on 'Nix. I reckon I'll just stick with those.
I'm going to need you to go ahead, and come in on Sunday, too.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Lots of possibilities. My next i-lock attempt, will be a fresh wine-staging 5.14,
and I will be logged in to my account when I install the i-lock manager.
'Will there be snacks?'
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A little progress, I was able to install the Izotope Software Portal,
and install/register one of their apps using the Portal gui, but it still wasn't good enough
for ilok manager, which still misses a QT .dll or two, and a kerberos braintrust.
This was using wine-staging 5.14 in Ubutu Studio 20.04.
I like 19.10 better for vst things...
SuperNovaa41

Post by SuperNovaa41 »

a
Last edited by SuperNovaa41 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.