Linvst: hanging processes

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Linvst: hanging processes

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

jonetsu wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:I compiled LinVST from source and I didn't download the VST2 dev files from Steinberg. LinVST's readme also says that you don't have to do that.
From the linvst online documentation:

"Remove -DVESTIGE from the makefiles to use the VST2 SDK (by default the VST2 SDK is not required). If using the VST2 SDK then the plugininterfaces folder contained within the VST2_SDK folder, needs to be placed in the LinVst files folder. https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html"

It's saying that is not required but then immediately mentions using it. I've chosen the latter, a sentence away. Maybe ubuntuuser can tell what is the difference in building it with or without the SDK. As far as I'm concerned if it's not needed then the description stops at the first sentence.
I don't know either. What I do know is that the VST2.4 SDK is not available anymore. The site that everybody refers to for siad SDK, i.e. Steinbergs website, only has the SDK for VST3, which is quite different from 2.4. But, like you said, Ubuntuuser (who is the dev of LinVST?) can provide us w/ the definitive answer. For example: I tried to compile Abique from source. That one has sort of the same procedure for building from source as LinVST, be it that Abique cannot be built without a VST SDK. However, Abique won't compile w/ the VST3 SDK. To me it seemed logical to assume LinVST cannot use the VST3 SDK either since the readme mentions VST2.4.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I've used and use linvst successfully in several linux setups for years,
debian, rpm, slackware, never compiled it (or any other linux gizmo) Too busy recording,
editing, practicing, and fishing. The dev keeps a binary handy for knuckledraggers like me.
Thankyou to the man for that! It's great software.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:I compiled LinVST from source and I didn't download the VST2 dev files from Steinberg. LinVST's readme also says that you don't have to do that.
From the linvst online documentation:

"Remove -DVESTIGE from the makefiles to use the VST2 SDK (by default the VST2 SDK is not required). If using the VST2 SDK then the plugininterfaces folder contained within the VST2_SDK folder, needs to be placed in the LinVst files folder. https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html"

It's saying that is not required but then immediately mentions using it. I've chosen the latter, a sentence away. Maybe ubuntuuser can tell what is the difference in building it with or without the SDK. As far as I'm concerned if it's not needed then the description stops at the first sentence.
It's because of Steinberg pulling the plug on VST2 late last year, so I use vestige and there is no real difference between the VST2 sdk and vestige as far as LinVst is concerned.

I'm also changing some of the LinVst exit code and that might help with Bitwig.

I also can't get Bitwig 2.5 to connect with Alsa or Jack for some reason, 2.4.3 was ok.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

glowrak guy wrote:I've used and use linvst successfully in several linux setups for years,
debian, rpm, slackware, never compiled it (or any other linux gizmo) Too busy recording,
editing, practicing, and fishing. The dev keeps a binary handy for knuckledraggers like me.
Thankyou to the man for that! It's great software.
Rock on :D
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

ubuntuuser wrote:It's because of Steinberg pulling the plug on VST2 late last year, so I use vestige and there is no real difference between the VST2 sdk and vestige as far as LinVst is concerned.

I also can't get Bitwig 2.5 to connect with Alsa or Jack for some reason, 2.4.3 was ok.
Thank you for clearing that up. Are you aware that LnVST has an issue with Qtractor? The knobs of virtual Windows 32 bit VST synths turn around like crazy and buttons go on and off 100 times a second. Luckily however, 64 bit ones are okay (see this post).Thank you for developing LinVST. :)
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote:It's because of Steinberg pulling the plug on VST2 late last year, so I use vestige and there is no real difference between the VST2 sdk and vestige as far as LinVst is concerned.

Thank you for clearing that up. Are you aware that LnVST has an issue with Qtractor? The knobs of virtual Windows 32 bit VST synths turn around like crazy and buttons go on and off 100 times a second. Luckily however, 64 bit ones are okay (see this post).Thank you for developing LinVST. :)
Thanks.

Well, things like that are probably due to Wine and it's 32 bit libraries.

LinVst is basically the same for 64 bit and 32 bits but the system/wine libraries are not.

Strange quirky things can happen and I think 32 bit vst's are probably going to be more problematic then 64 bit vst's on 64 bit systems.
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

btw Bitwig might have trouble closing if there were any vst scan timeouts involving LinVst, at least on my system and 2.4.3 (I can't get 2.5 to connect with any audio at all).
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

ubuntuuser wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Thanks.

LinVst is basically the same for 64 bit and 32 bits but the system/wine libraries are not.

Strange quirky things can happen and I think 32 bit vst's are probably going to be more problematic then 64 bit vst's on 64 bit systems.
But in other DAW's on my system 32 bit Windows VST's and LinVST work just fine. And they make use of the same wine installation of course... I don't know if the issue lies in Qtractor or in LinVST though, but DSSI and Carla do not have said issue in Qtractor w/ 32 bit VST.
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

ubuntuuser wrote:btw Bitwig might have trouble closing if there were any vst scan timeouts involving LinVst, at least on my system and 2.4.3 (I can't get 2.5 to connect with any audio at all).
same here, zombies linvst processes at closing.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ubuntuuser wrote:I also can't get Bitwig 2.5 to connect with Alsa or Jack for some reason, 2.4.3 was ok.
Am I glad to not have renewed the yearly upgrade plan this time around (first time).

Although it's very strange that Bitwig would ship with a defective Linux audio interface.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thank you for clearing that up. Are you aware that LnVST has an issue with Qtractor? The knobs of virtual Windows 32 bit VST synths turn around like crazy and buttons go on and off 100 times a second. Luckily however, 64 bit ones are okay (see this post).Thank you for developing LinVST. :)
Thanks.

But in other DAW's on my system 32 bit Windows VST's and LinVST work just fine. And they make use of the same wine installation of course... I don't know if the issue lies in Qtractor or in LinVST though, but DSSI and Carla do not have said issue in Qtractor w/ 32 bit VST.
It could be a Qtractor/LinVst thing, I'll try some of the vst's you mention.

btw thw no-pie option is so that it displays an icon (and some systems seem to need it), it can be removed.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Mk2 wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote:btw Bitwig might have trouble closing if there were any vst scan timeouts involving LinVst, at least on my system and 2.4.3 (I can't get 2.5 to connect with any audio at all).
same here, zombies linvst processes at closing.
The exit is done for speed because scanning a lot of vst's might take longer.

I can do a different exit that should eliminate zombies but it takes longer for vst scans.

I did add some code that seems to get rid of zombies without adding too much scan time but that apparently doesn't seem to work on all systems but it works on Debian based systems.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

I can only get zombies if Bitwig crashes or won't shut down.

The first output was due to me having a Waves wrapped plugin which Bitwig can't handle and it caused a scan timeout and stopped Bitwig from closing so I did a ctrl-c to exit Bitwig and this left a LinVst zombie because Bitwig couldn't send a close message to LinVst because of Bitwig crashing/not closing.

The second output is when everything is ok with LinVst wrapped plugins that Bitwig can handle (Bitwig can send a close message to LinVst) and I don't get any zombies.

I also don't get any zombies with other DAW's ie Reaper/Tracktion/Ardour.

So I think Bitwig must be crashing on exit and this causes zombies to stick around.

Why Bitwig would be crashing I don't know, could be Wine related or some other thing.

I don't get any Bitwig crashes unless it's something like trying to use the Waves plugins or some other plugin that might cause a scan time out.

Anyway I have given the LinVst exit code a makeover and so maybe try that.

-----------

java.io.EOFException
at com.bitwig.ramona.serial.QdQ.wOw(SourceFile:263)
at com.bitwig.ramona.serial.QdQ.izw(SourceFile:413)
at bqr.kL(SourceFile:885)
at bqr.ytz(SourceFile:707)
at bqr.ytz(SourceFile:688)
at com.bitwig.ramona.protocol.rM.ytz(SourceFile:88)
at brn.jPq(SourceFile:387)
at bro.run(SourceFile:278)

osxuser@mx:~/Desktop/reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER
$ ps aux | grep vst
osxuser 9401 0.8 0.0 0 0 pts/0 Zl 18:22 0:01 [lin-vst-server.] <defunct>
osxuser 9784 0.0 0.0 48060 976 pts/0 S+ 18:25 0:00 grep vst
$ ps auxwww | grep 'Z'
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
osxuser 9401 0.8 0.0 0 0 pts/0 Zl 18:22 0:01 [lin-vst-server.] <defunct>
osxuser 9786 0.0 0.0 48060 960 pts/0 S+ 18:25 0:00 grep Z

------------

java.io.EOFException

$ ps auxwww | grep 'Z'
USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
osxuser 4688 0.0 0.0 48060 1000 pts/1 S+ 18:33 0:00 grep Z
$ ps aux | grep vst
osxuser 4690 0.0 0.0 48060 976 pts/1 S+ 18:33 0:00 grep vst

-------------
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

ubuntuuser wrote:It could be a Qtractor/LinVst thing, I'll try some of the vst's you mention.

btw thw no-pie option is so that it displays an icon (and some systems seem to need it), it can be removed.
Thank you for that little tip! I removed the "-no-pie" option in the makefile and it did compile. I followed the instructions in the readme for LinVST* and copied & renamed the linvst.so as well as the linvst*.so files so that I have a set of 3 files w/ the extension my_favourite_vst.dll, my_favourite_vst.so and my_favourite_vst*.so. Now said VST didn't show up at all in Qtractor. I then deleted the *.so file and it did show up again.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

On Xubuntu 18.04, closing Bitwig 2.4.3 with project whose audio is active (and uses linvst) will crash jackd.

Code: Select all

[2019-03-12 10:10:21 notifications info] Saving document jam422: 
[2019-03-12 10:10:25 ramona-server error] Connection broken with client:
	java.io.EOFException

JackFreewheelDriver::ProcessSync: SuspendRefNum error
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphSync: ProcessWriteSlaves error, engine may now behave abnormally!!
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphSync: SuspendRefNum error, engine may now behave abnormally!!
JackFreewheelDriver::ProcessSync: SuspendRefNum error
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphSync: ProcessWriteSlaves error, engine may now behave abnormally!!

And on and on until jackd is restarted
The project is made of:

25 linvst instances
6 native Linux plugins
8 audio tracks