Why run Windows software on Linux?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Why run Windows software on Linux?

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote: LinVst is up to version 2.41 at the moment and has a few Bitwig fixes in the latest release. I should keep a changelog and will be from now on. A lot of the LinVst changes over the last year were to support Waves in a solid sort of way and submitting corresponding changes to the Wine code to support Kontakt and Waves Central.
Are you part of the linvst development ? Just asking. It's such a corner stone for musical production that it would be nice to know that there's a direct contact here.

Cheers.
Yes I am.
Established Member

Post by 1234 »

Hi,

I've got the Linux, as well as the Windows version via wine of GR FloorBoard installed.

Code: Select all

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ ls -hAl /usr/local/bin/gr-55_floorboard*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  46 Apr 30  2018 /usr/local/bin/gr-55_floorboard -> /opt/gr-55_floorboard/packager/GR-55FloorBoard
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 114 May  4  2018 /usr/local/bin/gr-55_floorboard_wine
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/gr-55_floorboard_wine
#!/bin/dash
wine '/home/rocketmouse/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/GR-55FloorBoard/GR-55FloorBoard.exe' &
exit
The Linux version is that buggy, that it is rendered useless, while the Windows version installed to wine works without any issues at all.

This post isn't an April Fools' joke. Just saying, since I hope another post to the forum, an April Fools' joke, will pass moderation.

Regards,
Ralf
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I've got the Linux 64 bit version of this, and it works. Your paths look odd. On my system floorboard is an executable in the GR-55 folder -- it's not in /opt or /usr/local/bin.

I've got this working on KX, AV 32 bit and Arch. The 32 bit version was the most difficult to get working as it needed libraries, like libjasper. It didn't work on a standard Ubuntu, so it seems to prefer it if JACK is running.
Established Member

Post by 1234 »

There's nothing odd with the path. I tested the pre-build Linux binary and I compiled it myself. One issues with the Linux version is, that on my Arch Linux install only a bulk dump of 25 or less patches works. A bulk dump of more patches doesn't. The other issue is, that it could crash while editing a sound. Using the Windows version it's possible to dump all patches at once and it never crashes.