[SOLVED!] Trouble with Best Service/Magix Engine library (Era II Medieval Legends)

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Death
Established Member

[SOLVED!] Trouble with Best Service/Magix Engine library (Era II Medieval Legends)

Post by Death »

I've managed to get the Best Service/Magix 'Engine' plugin installed and working. I then directed it to my 'Era II Medieval Legends' library, saved preferences and restarted the plugin as instructed. But when I go to load an instrument, it complains about not being able to find Wave files in an image file (See image).
Engine.jpg
Engine.jpg (235.72 KiB) Viewed 10150 times
I notice there are '.ytif' and '.ytil' files in the libraries' directory which seem to be a proprietary Magix format. The '.ytil' files are really small so I don't think they contain any Wave files. However, the '.ytif' files are mostly around 1GB each so that must be where these files hide.

Does anyone know how I might solve this issue? I'm hoping someone here has experience with Best Service products. I'd love to get this working :wink:

Update: This software now works with Microsoft .NET 4.8 (dotnet48) installed. The above issue is simply due to the product not being registered. Once dotnet is installed the license manager will open and then after registering, it will work. However, I've only been able to get it to work in a 32 bit prefix so far due to issues installing dotnet in a 64 bit prefix. I'm working on that part so I will post any solutions if I find them!

Also, for anyone having trouble installing dotnet48, try running winetricks via 'winetricks --force' which will force the install incase it doesn't work normally. If you're using a Lutris prefix like me, you can use the prefix's 'Open bash terminal' option and then run that command to open winetricks in force mode. Lastly, if during the dotnet install it complains that the process will hang until some other processes are closed, try closing 'wineserver' in your system monitor/task manager to allow the install to continue.

As I said, I'll post another update if I can get it all working in a 64 bit prefix. If anyone else can figure this part out then please post!

Thanks to everyone that's helped figure this out :D

Update 2: Ok. I managed to get dotnet40 installed into a fresh 64 bit test prefix via the 'winetricks --force' method. I've tried some other dotnet versions but they don't seem to install properly. I'm still experimenting from here but I did manage to launch the plugin and get the license manager to open in the test prefix with dotnet40 so I assume it'll probably register and work properly also.
Last edited by Death on Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Death
Established Member

Re: Trouble with Best Service/Magix Engine library (Era II Medieval Legends)

Post by Death »

I thought I'd bump this as it's been a while. I still can't get this thing working :(
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Did you press the "Auto-Find" Button? This looks like it is made for this kind of problem.
The problem is that this is windows software, and your payment should cover commercial support.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Haha.. yes I pressed that button.

I am aware it's Windows software and that I'm trying to use it on Linux. And for this reason they will not offer me support. They told me a while back that they were working on a Linux version of Engine so I was holding out for that. But I just checked with them for updates and it looks like they've abandoned the idea.
gerardlouw

Post by gerardlouw »

For the next person who finds this on Google...

The "File Not Found" dialog is a red herring. That's just what you see when you haven't activated a product yet.

I noticed the following error message in the console whenever I tried to load an instrument:

Code: Select all

0168:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed
So I tried installing Mono first into my Wine prefix, but that didn't work. Then I tried .NET Framework 4.8 instead.

Success!

The same "File Not Found" dialog still pops up, but immediately afterwards it opens E-License Manager. I'm able to activate my products, and upon reloading Engine, I'm able to load (and play) the instruments.

I'll take a look at creating a Lutris launcher for this, to make it a bit more reproducible.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

gerardlouw wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:13 pm For the next person who finds this on Google...

The "File Not Found" dialog is a red herring. That's just what you see when you haven't activated a product yet.

I noticed the following error message in the console whenever I tried to load an instrument:

Code: Select all

0168:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed
So I tried installing Mono first into my Wine prefix, but that didn't work. Then I tried .NET Framework 4.8 instead.

Success!

The same "File Not Found" dialog still pops up, but immediately afterwards it opens E-License Manager. I'm able to activate my products, and upon reloading Engine, I'm able to load (and play) the instruments.

I'll take a look at creating a Lutris launcher for this, to make it a bit more reproducible.
Oh god... I've been waiting so long to use this plugin!

Could you run me through the steps to do it? I've got an FL Studio prefix in Lutris. I got winetricks open to install .NET 4.8 and it kept complaining about it not working in a 64 bit prefix. Then it was saying the process would just hang while some other processes were running but I wasn't sure exactly what I needed to terminate. I also have no idea how to install Mono in the prefix.

Thanks so much for figuring this out and posting here! I can't wait to finally use the damned thing :D
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Can anyone help me get Mono and .NET Framework 4.8 installed into my Lutris prefix?

I'm guessing @gerardlouw won't reply anytime soon as it looks like they just made an account to post that message.

I've been waiting years to use this plugin and I'm so close now!

Cheers.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Death wrote: I've been waiting years to use this plugin and I'm so close now!
I'm not sure anyone is going to take the time to help you after you told them you're close to death.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:46 pm I'm not sure anyone is going to take the time to help you after you told them you're close to death.
Surely that's a good reason to help me :wink:
Smaasten
Established Member

Post by Smaasten »

Im still waiting to get this solved, or how-to-do it 😅
Please, if anyone can guide me/us, please do so.
Ubuntu studio 21.10
Latest wine stagging
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

I've got mono installed on my system but the plugin doesn't work. I've tried installing dotnet4.8 into the prefix with winetricks but it says "mono doesn't appear to be installed". I think maybe that's preventing dotnet from installing but I'm not sure. It does also say "dotnet40 does not yet fully work or install on wine. Caveat emptor" and then at the end it will say "Running [path to lutris wine runner] winserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=[path to my FL Studio prefix] terminate".

I've tried closing any exe files I see open but it still doesn't seem to work. I know I have some weird issue with FL Studio where it will hang on loading up until I exit Lutris, then it will finish loading and I can use it.

I can't quite figure out what's going on or what I need to do. I would like to start buy getting mono working in the prefix and then getting dotnet installed.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
orocroon
Established Member

Post by orocroon »

Hi, I just registered to reply that, thanks to all the post above, I got this working by creating a new 32bit Wineprefix (via Winetricks), then force installing dotnet 4.8 on this Wineprefix by launching winetricks by running Winetricks --force. I did not have to install mono.

I then started Wine Uninstaller within Winetricks for the new Wineprefix and installed Engine 2 by choosing the .exe file from there. I then started Engine 2 from the desktop shortcut and added the libraries I have (Dark ERA, Ancient ERA Persia and ERA II Medieval Legends) under the preferences -> add library area in Engine 2. When I then open an instrument, I do get the normal "locate file" prompt, but also a working license registration prompt. After registrations is successful, Abort the "locate file" prompt and try and load the instrument again.

I then added the new VST installation directory to Yabridge and I have not run into any issues with these libraries in Reaper (in the very short amount of time I have tested), except for a Yabridge-32-bit crash, but I guess that is the price we pay :)

I am running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon.
Latest Yabrdige and Wine-staging (7.17).
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

orocroon wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:33 pm Hi, I just registered to reply that, thanks to all the post above, I got this working by creating a new 32bit Wineprefix (via Winetricks), then force installing dotnet 4.8 on this Wineprefix by launching winetricks by running Winetricks --force. I did not have to install mono.

I then started Wine Uninstaller within Winetricks for the new Wineprefix and installed Engine 2 by choosing the .exe file from there. I then started Engine 2 from the desktop shortcut and added the libraries I have (Dark ERA, Ancient ERA Persia and ERA II Medieval Legends) under the preferences -> add library area in Engine 2. When I then open an instrument, I do get the normal "locate file" prompt, but also a working license registration prompt. After registrations is successful, Abort the "locate file" prompt and try and load the instrument again.

I then added the new VST installation directory to Yabridge and I have not run into any issues with these libraries in Reaper (in the very short amount of time I have tested), except for a Yabridge-32-bit crash, but I guess that is the price we pay :)

I am running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon.
Latest Yabrdige and Wine-staging (7.17).
Thanks for replying.

So did you have to use a 32 bit prefix to get the dotnet install to work or did you just not try with a 64 bit prefix? what was the full winetricks command to install dotnet, BTW? I've only used winetricks via the gui so I'm not familiar with these commands.

I made a 32 bit prefix and tried to install dotnet via the winetricks gui but it was the same outcome as before so I guess it must need that force method.

Cheers!
orocroon
Established Member

Post by orocroon »

Death wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:39 pm Thanks for replying.

So did you have to use a 32 bit prefix to get the dotnet install to work or did you not try with a 64 bit prefix? what was the full winetricks command to install dotnet, BTW? I've only used winetricks via the gui so I'm not familiar with these commands.

Cheers!
Hi, I did not try it with the 64bit prefix, as I believe dotnet 4.8 is 32bit specific, not sure if that makes any difference tho, it could work fine with 64bit. I have it working now so I don't dare to touch it XD

I did use the Winetricks GUI for everything.

Step-by-step as detailed as I can remember:
1: run "Wintetricks --force" from the terminal
2: choose Create new wineprefix
3: choose 32bit architecture and enter a name
4: after installation, choose the new wineprefix, if it's not already chosen
5: choose Install a Windows DLL or component
6: choose dotnet 4.8, when it tries to install, it says it can't, but by continuing it will force it to install because of --force
7: after dotnet 4.8 finished installing, choose the new wineprefix if not already chosen and choose Run uninstaller
8: click the install button, located the Engine 2.8.0.58 WIN Installer.exe file and install.
end of Winetricks GUI stuffs

After the installation, it added a Engine 2 desktop icon, which I clicked on and everything worked as one would expect. After registering everything and tested that it all worked, I added the location of the VST for Engine 2 from the new wineprefix folder to Yabridge via the terminal.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

After a lot of messing around for hours and cutting a long story short, I got dotnet48 installed in my 64 bit prefix. I had to download it from Microsoft rather than via Winetricks though. The Winetricks version wouldn't show up as an installed program in a 64 bit prefix.

Anyway, I've tried running ENGINE but I just can't get the license manager to show up so I'm still getting the same error with finding the files like in my original post. I've tried uninstalling ENGINE and deleting any leftover files I can find then reinstalling it but it's the same. I've tried running the license manager exe but it just asks to uninstall itself when I do so.

Did the license manager just open on its own for you after adding a library and then trying to load a patch or did you need to do something else to trigger it?

I'm so close to getting this all working now after all this time... :wink:

Cheers.