Filtering USB devices to WINE

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

martibs
Established Member

Filtering USB devices to WINE

Post by martibs »

I have request which is a bit odd. I would like to "hide" one paricular of my USB connected devices from WINE, so that WINE doesn't see it. Why do I want to do this?

I have two Eventide effect pedals, the H9 and the Timefactor, which can be controlled via USB-MIDI, using a Windows application called "H9 Control". The app can be launched and used to control the H9 pedal stably via WINE. Actually, it is only the H9 pedal that I want to use with this app, as the other pedal has a lot of physical encoders, so the control app is not really needed for that pedal. I still want the Timefactor to be connected via USB-MIDI, though, so that I can send MIDI clock and keep it in sync.

And that is when the problem begins: when both pedals are connected to the computer via USB, the app crashes on launch. It only works as long as the H9 is the only pedal connected.
So I wonder, in order to remedy this, is it possible to block/hide a single device from being broadcasted to WINE?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Filtering USB devices to WINE

Post by glowrak guy »

The latest wine-staging 7.7 is quite different from various V6.x releases.
You might install it in some live dvd/usb session, to see if it helps.

Can you set up the H9 before inserting the Timefactor?

Experiment with the pedals plugged in only after the system is booted, one, then both.

Experiment with each one of the pedals plugged in only after the app is running.

Experiment with splitting/dividing usb ports, pedals both in a usb 2, both in usb 3,
one in each, same if a usb 1 port is there.

Have a powered usb hub you can use/borrow?

Can you test on a windows machine? Does eventide forum/manuals mention any oddities?

Do you have the lsusb command installed? It's output at various moments might offer clues.
Cheers
martibs
Established Member

Re: Filtering USB devices to WINE

Post by martibs »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Actually, updating from Wine 6 to version 7.8 staging solved the issue! Thanks Wine developers.