[ANN] yabridge 5.1.0, a long-awaited maintenance release

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Robin Cherry
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.7.0

Post by Robin Cherry »

Just curious if you know what's up with the AUR releases of Yabridge for manjaro? I was using the seperate yabridge and yabridgectl versions for the last year with good results. The other day there was a release of 3.7.0.4 that wouldn't compile but now both seem to no longer exist at all in the aur only the bin version which is still at 3.7.0.3.

If switch over to the bin version when it's updated will I need to start my configuration from scratch? I've got a pretty big list of directories to scan and some custom configurations.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Yabridge has moved from the AUR to the Arch repos since about a week or so. There was a post about this in the #announcements channel on the Discord. You'll need to wait for Manjaro's repos to catch or use yabridge-bin if you currently don't have yabridge installed.
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Post by Robin Cherry »

That sounds like good news. Really appreciate your work. Thanks!
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.8.0

Post by robbert-vdh »

Yet Another mostly incremental release just in time for the quarterly release pact. There are mostly a couple of minor changes and fixes to improve the interactions with specific plugins, as well as a number of small improvements to yabridgectl. One other thing worth mentioning is that yabridge and yabridgectl are now packaged in Arch's official repositories btw. So if you're on Arch or Manjaro and you were using one of the AUR packages before, then you may want to switch to these new packages instead.

The full changelog with all fixes and improvements can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.8.0
Robin Cherry
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.8.0

Post by Robin Cherry »

I forgot to follow up on my earlier post. My octopi package manager automatically found my aur version in manjaro and updated it to the new version from the official repositories when it was released. Super. Thanks as always.
muzikermammoth
Established Member

Post by muzikermammoth »

If i were to install the 64 bit plugins together with the 32 bit plugins into a 32 bit wineprefix, does this mean yabridge can detect and use these 64bit plugins?
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

muzikermammoth wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:00 pm If i were to install the 64 bit plugins together with the 32 bit plugins into a 32 bit wineprefix, does this mean yabridge can detect and use these 64bit plugins?
32-bit Wine prefixes simulate a 32-bit WIndows environment, and 32-bit Windows (just like 32-bit Linux) cannot run 64-bit applications. Nowadays there's zero reason to use a 32-bit Wine prefix though, that's mostly an artifact of the time when Wine's WoW64 implementation (which lets 32-bit Windows applications run on 64-bit Wine/Windows) either did not exist yet or was a bit spotty.
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

I use Medlaproduction plugins with yabridge. And it looks like the CPU load is slowly taking over almost 100%. When I restart the session (Mixbus 32C) It calms down. It feels like something stays on and eats up processor power. AvLinux MXE latest version in use. Curious thing
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

sjzstudio wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:57 pm I use Medlaproduction plugins with yabridge. And it looks like the CPU load is slowly taking over almost 100%. When I restart the session (Mixbus 32C) It calms down. It feels like something stays on and eats up processor power. AvLinux MXE latest version in use. Curious thing
Any more specifics? Which versions of which plugins are you using, with which version of Wine? Are you sure it's those Melda plugins and not something else?
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Melda 15.02 Turbo reverb, Turbo comp and drumreplacer. Wine is what Comes with latest avlinix mxe.

It could be something else of course, but how i cam trouble shoot this?
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Somehow this is related to the plugin GUI. When I open and close Melda plugins, the CPU loads remain high. Even if I close them, I will reach 100% after a while. Restarting the session will return the situation to normal until the same starts if I open the Melda plugin GUIs.

Attachments
Kuvakaappaus_2022-03-01_20-34-09.jpg
Kuvakaappaus_2022-03-01_20-34-09.jpg (216.52 KiB) Viewed 10858 times
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

sjzstudio wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:41 pm Somehow this is related to the plugin GUI. When I open and close Melda plugins, the CPU loads remain high. Even if I close them, I will reach 100% after a while. Restarting the session will return the situation to normal until the same starts if I open the Melda plugin GUIs.

<snip>
That's an Ardour/Mixbus 'feature'. They don't ever close plugin GUIs, they just hide them. Idea being that closing and reopening them would be slightly slower than simply hiding and showing them again. They don't have a way to disable this behavior, so the only solution would be to reload your project.
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Ok. Good to know. And Melda plugins seems to be hungry for GUI power.

Edit: Posted this to Mixbus forum (Linux) also. Hope they do something to fix it.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

@sjzstudio What video card and driver do you use? There are a couple of tweaks for Nvidia that help with OpenGL rendering for plugins. In Mixbus I get GUI freeze without the tweaks if I open more than 2 plugins.
- Disable "Sync to VBlank"
- Set Image Settings to "High Performance" or "Perfomance"
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

This machine has an Intel integrated graphics card.