Wine Staging 6.3 bug affecting Wine vst bridges

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: Wine Staging 6.3 bug affecting Wine vst bridges

Post by robbert-vdh »

tavasti wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:29 pm There seems to be 6.7 available, anybody tested it yet?
Wine (Staging)) has finally fixed all of the application launching issues, but it does still suffer from that issue where applications don't get terminated properly. With yabridge 3.1.0 and up that shouldn't be an issue though. One other potentially breaking change (that didn't really get documented) with Wine 6.7 is that the internal version Wine reports (which is different from the version you can select in winecfg) now always reports as Windows 10, as opposed to Windows 7 like it always used to do. That breaks the Spitfire plugins (LABS/BBCSOD), and maybe more things. So I'd still recommend pinning Wine Staging 6.4 for the time being since that version doesn't have any weird issues.
a.d.
Established Member

Post by a.d. »

@robbert-vdh I've been a happy user of yabridge to run EZD2. Thanks for yabridge and documenting issues on Github. Otherwise I wouldn't have known if I was having a Wine, EZD2, yabridge, Reaper, or some other issue.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

@robbert-vdh you have best knowledge on the planet: is wine-stable yet viable alternative for wine-staging?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

tavasti wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:32 am @robbert-vdh you have best knowledge on the planet: is wine-stable yet viable alternative for wine-staging?
If you're on Debian/Ubuntu then I guess you could install winehq-stable, but I'd just go with Wine Staging 6.4 instead. That should have better overall compatibility (and in some specific cases also better performance).