[ANN] yabridge 3.3.1

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

robbert-vdh
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.2.0, with greatly reduced VST2 bridging overhead and a lot of fixes

Post by robbert-vdh »

Haha yeah that's very true. Having the bits in place to make plugin bridging work out of the box seems much more important than actually having some plugins preinstalled. And if you ask ten mixing engineers what the best compressor plugin is, you'll get ten different answers. :D
GMaq
Established Member

Re: [ANN] yabridge 3.2.0, with greatly reduced VST2 bridging overhead and a lot of fixes

Post by GMaq »

I think I will put this on my todo list for the next actual full version (probably after bullseye is released), thanks for your answers and insights..
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

GMaq wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 pmI really should get out of the Plugin business completely... have Wine-Staging there... have the bridging there and let the User place their own plugins in their home folder and just let your stuff work like it defaults.. Sometimes we start things to make it easier and down the road it becomes a pretzel..
I like this idea. As you know I have great respect for you and AVL, but the sheer overwhelming number of preinstalled plugins was one of the reasons I decided to roll my own distro with a subset including only the ones I use (although DE was the main reason). On the flipside, if it weren't for AVL I wouldn't have had a showcase to decide which ones I liked. What you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts. :lol: Maybe a standard base version and a showcase version similar to current would fit both use cases?
Sorry, a bit OT for this thread.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sunrat wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pm
GMaq wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 pmI really should get out of the Plugin business completely... have Wine-Staging there... have the bridging there and let the User place their own plugins in their home folder and just let your stuff work like it defaults.. Sometimes we start things to make it easier and down the road it becomes a pretzel..
I like this idea. As you know I have great respect for you and AVL, but the sheer overwhelming number of preinstalled plugins was one of the reasons I decided to roll my own distro with a subset including only the ones I use (although DE was the main reason). On the flipside, if it weren't for AVL I wouldn't have had a showcase to decide which ones I liked. What you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts. :lol: Maybe a standard base version and a showcase version similar to current would fit both use cases?
Sorry, a bit OT for this thread.
What is really ironic is I personally use Ardour and about 12 Plugins (half are u-he and old linuxDSP or the new ACM).. I very rarely use WIndows VSTs anymore and I also annoy myself with the lists and lists and lists of Plugins... :lol:

I can't really change everything mid-stream but my girlfriend and I are doing Keto right now, maybe it's time to put AVL-MXE on Keto too!

Anyway... apologies to robbert-vdh... we now return our scheduled programming to the actual topic of this thread!
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.3.0, gotta go fast edition

Post by robbert-vdh »

This is the gotta go fast edition. Yabridge's priorities have always been user experience, compatibility, and then performance. In that order. Now that the first two are in a decent place, it was time to take a closer look at improving performance. This new update considerably reduces the overhead of bridging Windows VST2 and VST3 plugins with yabridge. More importantly, all of these optimizations should make this overhead much more stable and reliable, meaning that you will be less likely to run into xruns. In addition, this update also fixes a few important edge cases issues. Most notably, it is now possible to use ujam and LoopCloud plugins through a new yabridge.toml option, and crashes can no longer leave JACK and Ardour in unusable states.

A full changelog with an exhaustive list of changes, improvements and fixes can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.3.0
Last edited by robbert-vdh on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

[ANN] yabridge 3.3.1

Post by robbert-vdh »

This is just a small bugfix release. The most important fixes in this release are for compatibility issues with Shattered Glass Audio plugins, as well as mouse clicks being offset vertically for VST2 plugins in Tracktion Waveform.

A full list of changes and fixes can be found here:

https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... /tag/3.3.1