[UPDATED]MusE sees Midi keyboard input notes, no record

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Amyl
Established Member

[UPDATED]MusE sees Midi keyboard input notes, no record

Post by Amyl »

Hi,
I have an Ubuntu LTE20.04 / MusE 3.02 (and 4) setup with a digital piano (Roland A90EX) and an ESI M4U midi interface.
To make all clear, regular and punch-in recording works fine, only pianoroll (step) record does not work.
Midi Playback is fine too, but when step recording in pianoroll mode, keyboard notes are not recorded.
However, the input monitor shows activity (*) and when activating step record, the pointer moves fwd with each played note (**).
(*) the VU meter on the left of the pianoroll window
(**) the connector and "S" switch is activated
I checked:
  • track monitor and record switches are active
  • Midi settings show status OK for the relevant I/O, green dots
  • Midi kbd is sending notes on ch3, Midi I/P channel setting to 'all' or ch3 does not make any difference
  • Event filter is inactive, when I activate note-on events, the cursor does not move anymore when step recording.
    activating the note-on filter, cursor does not move (proving note-ons are recognized)
My conclusion is that my Midi setup is OK, but some (hidden) setting in MusE is preventing notes coming in.

Any ideas where to look for the solution?
regards,
Andre
Attachments
step record
step record
Screenshot_2022-04-07_11-15-02.png (85.07 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
MusE MIDI configuration
MusE MIDI configuration
Screenshot_2022-04-07_10-53-20.png (73.55 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
MusE (3 & 4) running on Ubuntu Studio LTE20.04, DELL XT2
ESI M4U, Roland A90EX Masterkeyboard, Bk-7m arranger, Yamaha Tyros2
spamatica
Established Member

Re: [UPDATED]MusE sees Midi keyboard input notes, no record

Post by spamatica »

Hey Andre,

Thanks for giving a lot of information.

Still I'm unclear on the bottom image, it show a number of notes added in the pianoroll, were you expecting something else?

I'm not at my rig but I quickly setup a test with vkeybd (virtual midi keyboard) and MusE and when I had selected both Step record and Midi input, notes are added on the Pianoroll as in your screenshot.

I'm testing on the current master version (which shortly will become 4.1) and I recall there was some fix with step recording and chords, so maybe you are affected by that bug. In that case, maybe you can test with the Master appimage?
MusE DAW
Amyl
Established Member

Post by Amyl »

Hi Spamatica,

I found this 'bug' in V3.02, then tried the 4.0 appimage, finally build and installed 4.0 where it behaved similar.
Thanks for the 4.1 hint. I'll look forward to that.

Of course, as step record did not work, the notes visible on the pianoroll view were drawn with the pencil.
I must say, experience with fiddling around, when playing a lot of notes in step record mode (V4), once and a while a note does show up.
Using the vkeyb, step record is fine, all notes appear in the pianoroll when tapping the vkeyb.
It seems really a problem using the Midi hardware (ALSA) input.
BTW, I tried a similar setup with another computer, same problem persists.

regards,
Andre
spamatica wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:03 am Hey Andre,

Thanks for giving a lot of information.

Still I'm unclear on the bottom image, it show a number of notes added in the pianoroll, were you expecting something else?

I'm not at my rig but I quickly setup a test with vkeybd (virtual midi keyboard) and MusE and when I had selected both Step record and Midi input, notes are added on the Pianoroll as in your screenshot.

I'm testing on the current master version (which shortly will become 4.1) and I recall there was some fix with step recording and chords, so maybe you are affected by that bug. In that case, maybe you can test with the Master appimage?
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Amyl wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:18 pm
Using the vkeyb, step record is fine, all notes appear in the pianoroll when tapping the vkeyb.
It seems really a problem using the Midi hardware (ALSA) input.
Interesting, can you try with the latest master appimage? It contains the fix I mentioned.
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... tag/latest
MusE DAW
Amyl
Established Member

Post by Amyl »

Hi,

OK, I tried: not solved but there is a difference:
In Pianoroll, step record active:
  • in V4, notes do not appear but the cursor moves fwd with every keyb note-on.
  • in latest appimage, notes do not appear but the cursor moves fwd (=quantize value) with every keyb note-on AND with every note-off.
    hence, no notes recorded, only the cursor advances when pressing a key and by releasing that key
  • forgot to mention: notes come in when tapping the pianoroll keyboard at the left
regards,
Andre

[/quote]
Interesting, can you try with the latest master appimage? It contains the fix I mentioned.
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... tag/latest
[/quote]
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

If you enable midi input via the button (yellow arrow), notes will get step-recorded (doubly even). The midi input setting in the mixer strip (red arrow) has no effect (on the recording). I have no idea why.

(using appimage with latest master)
Attachments
midi-in.png
midi-in.png (35.19 KiB) Viewed 997 times