Help MusE - the identity thread

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

oscillator
Established Member

Help MusE - the identity thread

Post by oscillator »

A continuation of the discussion about what MusE (and is not), leading to a revamp of the outreach material like maybe name, logo, the site etc.

Tagline idea: "The complete and free audio studio for GNU/Linux"

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

oldcastle
Established Member

Re: Help MusE - the identity thread

Post by oldcastle »

Cool!

About the tagline, I think we can drop the "GNU". I know where you're coming from, but I don't think it is necessary. Plus, see how the commercial DAWs market it. Reaper, Bitwig, Waveform and even Ardour just use Linux. If we want to attract musicians from Windows and Mac, I think we should keep it as simple as possible.

@oscillator shall we start with the new name ideas? Or do you have something else in the agenda? If not, we could let this thread run for new name ideas for a while, then select the top 3 names and present them to the main developers that will make the final decision. What do you think?
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

oldcastle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:04 am About the tagline, I think we can drop the "GNU". I know where you're coming from, but I don't think it is necessary. Plus, see how the commercial DAWs market it. Reaper, Bitwig, Waveform and even Ardour just use Linux. If we want to attract musicians from Windows and Mac, I think we should keep it as simple as possible.
:D
oldcastle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:04 am @oscillator shall we start with the new name ideas? Or do you have something else in the agenda? If not, we could let this thread run for new name ideas for a while, then select the top 3 names and present them to the main developers that will make the final decision. What do you think?
That sounds like an excellent idea and way to go forward! I like that we have a momentum and we should keep that up! :)

A general comment to all the discussions we are having right now: I see myself "just" as a MusE user. I have made music for a long time with computers, originally starting out with the VIC20 and programming sounds using assembly! :) Then I moved on to the original Mac, onwards to Windows and Cubase, then Reason. For mostly ideological reasons I started my Linux music journey about 3 years ago. I tried out the DAWs, ended up with QTractor and MusE as solutions, but MusE fitted my previous workflow better (being more Cubase-like I guess). I have contributed with some Python scripts ("Speed double/half" and "Humanize") and a tutorial. But I see myself as a user/musician. I want to give more back. In these discussions I try to work as a facilitator, but I have no agenda in any way, other than try to help build some kind of platform where people like you and me can help and contribute. I am very happy that we don't seem to be alone in this! :)

andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

Wait a minute, are you talking about total re-branding including MusE name?
Sorry if I distracted you with such a nonsense.
oldcastle
Established Member

Post by oldcastle »

oscillator wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:29 am That sounds like an excellent idea and way to go forward! I like that we have a momentum and we should keep that up! :)

A general comment to all the discussions we are having right now: I see myself "just" as a MusE user. I have made music for a long time with computers, originally starting out with the VIC20 and programming sounds using assembly! :) Then I moved on to the original Mac, onwards to Windows and Cubase, then Reason. For mostly ideological reasons I started my Linux music journey about 3 years ago. I tried out the DAWs, ended up with QTractor and MusE as solutions, but MusE fitted my previous workflow better (being more Cubase-like I guess). I have contributed with some Python scripts ("Speed double/half" and "Humanize") and a tutorial. But I see myself as a user/musician. I want to give more back. In these discussions I try to work as a facilitator, but I have no agenda in any way, other than try to help build some kind of platform where people like you and me can help and contribute. I am very happy that we don't seem to be alone in this! :)
Woww.. I felt old by starting my journey using MS-DOS...but assembly!!! That's nice :lol: I remember trying to learn it when I was a teen. :D
oldcastle
Established Member

Post by oldcastle »

andropogon wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:38 am Wait a minute, are you talking about total re-branding including MusE name?
Yes! This issue https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/1042 explain about it.
andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

oldcastle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:44 am Yes! This issue https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/1042 explain about it.
Pity. MusE and it’s Harp are pretty nice brands as for me. And with that issues we can reach the name like GNU Audio Manipulation Program :?.

@oscillator, your path to MusE is very similar to mine! I started creating music on ZX Spectrum in early 90s. There was such a program called WHAM! And I made Terminator 2 intro in it.
Then I came through Fruity Loops and Cubase and finally settled on Cakewalk Pro Audio, which evolved into Sonar over time. It is still the most convenient for me.
I met the MusE somewhere in the early 10s “for mostly ideological reasons”, as you aptly pointed out. But I began to fully work with it after version 2.1 when convenient support for virtual synths appeared.
Interesting that you find it’s workflow more Cubase-like cause I feel the same about Cakewalk (frankly, I would really like the MusE to become a full-fledged replacement for Cakewalk for me which is now impossible for reasons not only related to the MusE). Perhaps this just emphasizes the distinctiveness and convenience of the MusE.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

oldcastle wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:43 am Woww.. I felt old by starting my journey using MS-DOS...but assembly!!! That's nice :lol: I remember trying to learn it when I was a teen. :D
Off topic: I am constantly looking for a way to return to those moments when you at 4am in the night wrapped the shit together and it just worked. Cramming the last bytes into the cassette deck buffer.

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

andropogon wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:43 pm Pity. MusE and it’s Harp are pretty nice brands as for me. And with that issues we can reach the name like GNU Audio Manipulation Program :?.
GAMP? :) I like it! :D
andropogon wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:43 pm @oscillator, your path to MusE is very similar to mine! I started creating music on ZX Spectrum in early 90s. There was such a program called WHAM! And I made Terminator 2 intro in it.
Then I came through Fruity Loops and Cubase and finally settled on Cakewalk Pro Audio, which evolved into Sonar over time. It is still the most convenient for me.
I met the MusE somewhere in the early 10s “for mostly ideological reasons”, as you aptly pointed out. But I began to fully work with it after version 2.1 when convenient support for virtual synths appeared.
Interesting that you find it’s workflow more Cubase-like cause I feel the same about Cakewalk (frankly, I would really like the MusE to become a full-fledged replacement for Cakewalk for me which is now impossible for reasons not only related to the MusE). Perhaps this just emphasizes the distinctiveness and convenience of the MusE.
:) I think a lot of people in the LM community share a similar journey. Still, we all have a kind of momentum, may it be ideological, solidarity, creative overflow or whatever, that makes us end up here! :) I do like to read about other people's journey, thanks for sharing!

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

So, the harp is something we want to keep.

What can we make out of it?

andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

Perhaps we need to bring the visual component of the harp together with the name of the program. Something like HarP :D
If wish, we can come up with some kind of another ridiculous transcript - like Harmony Program or Human Audio Recording & Playback :shock:.

Or make it aMused as suggested by one github's thread member.

Or as part of the brainstorming: LAMP - Linux (Libre?) Audio Manipulation Program. With changing the picture to some kind of Lamp AMPlifier. :mrgreen:
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

I'd suggest to use a name that isn't an initialism or acronym - especially not one that copies GIMP, let's try to be original. There is already another program called LAMPP.

I also wouldn't base the name on a logo I'd base the logo on a name. Find a name, then find a logo to go with it.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
oldcastle
Established Member

Post by oldcastle »

Here we go :D

A reminder to all of us. This is the place to brainstorm, so no feeling hurts if people don't like yours name suggestion :wink:

At this stage, I'm just throwing ideas. No real meaning behind the names.

Screenshot_20220331_182726.png
Screenshot_20220331_182726.png (16.89 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
Screenshot_20220331_181546.png
Screenshot_20220331_181546.png (9.25 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
earphonic.png
earphonic.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

@d.healey, your arguments are clear and can be fair, but personally I wouldn't want to completely change the name and logo and UI. Then it will already be a completely new program, as if it crosses out many years of development.
As for the LAMP & GAMP it was more of a joke.That has its share of jokes. Just part of a brainstorm, "just throwing ideas" as noted the respected @oldcastle.
It so happened that in Linux strange acronyms are accepted as program names. So it may not be a matter of originality, but of tradition.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I want to keep the "muse". (But all your suggestions are looking and sounding very nice, @oldcastle! Like, all of them! :) We have to make those programs! :) )

So, what I am thinking of is more like (brainstorming)

FreeMuse

LibreMuse

OpenMuse

AudioMuse

SoundMuse

Museic

MuseDAW

MyMuse

LinMuse

Some prefix (or suffix) that keeps Muse.

/Staffan