Help MusE - the identity thread

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

oscillator
Established Member

Re: Help MusE - the identity thread

Post by oscillator »

Lots of opinions, all of them valid, in my view at least.

I would like to hear from @spamatica and @Tim E. Real at this point.

And, my five cents. If I were the boss...........

Keep "Muse", drop the capital "E", add a tag line and promote the name + the tag line at every opportunity. Drop the harp. Just go for the name and the tagline. Just add one thing. A color that keeps appearing all the time. In the program, the logo, the site etc. Orange, or "brandgul" as it was once called in Sweden before we (too) were americanized! :)

So. "Muse - the free music workstation for Linux" and the color.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

oldcastle
Established Member

Post by oldcastle »

Largos wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:22 pm If you're trying to distance yourself from muse group, what is the point of keeping muse in the title? Might as well keep as it is.
This is a valid point. Probably the main thing to discuss here now. Should we distance ourselves from muse group?
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

oldcastle wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:39 am
Largos wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:22 pm If you're trying to distance yourself from muse group, what is the point of keeping muse in the title? Might as well keep as it is.
This is a valid point. Probably the main thing to discuss here now. Should we distance ourselves from muse group?
I don't know, and I am not that sure that I have an opinion that is very strong, at all.

I will try to get @spamatica and @Tim E. Real to join us! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

oscillator wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 pm So, the harp is something we want to keep.

What can we make out of it?

What about Lybre? It's a pun on "lyre" and "libre" with the r in a different color, and maybe shaped as a lyre.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Basslint wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:15 am
oscillator wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 pm So, the harp is something we want to keep.

What can we make out of it?

What about Lybre? It's a pun on "lyre" and "libre" with the r in a different color, and maybe shaped as a lyre.
Here is a (programmer's :lol:) sample of what I mean:

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

Not my taste but fun! And stylish as for programmer :D Keep it up!
Sorry if I distracted you with such a nonsense.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

andropogon wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:50 am Not my taste but fun! And stylish as for programmer :D Keep it up!
Thanks, that's just the concept :wink: If someone with better art skills can make it into a beautiful logo, that'd be better. I personally really like this name because it is meaningful, short, simple (it's just changing an "i" to a "y" in a very popular word in our community) and unique (I could not find any musical program with that name). Maybe a "c" could be added at the end (lybrec, rec as in "recording" and maybe the "c" could be turned to a Lyre instead of the "r"!) to make it even more distinctive and indexable by search engines (since there are organization called lybre and also "lybre software" gets corrected by Google).

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Basslint wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:56 am
andropogon wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:50 am Not my taste but fun! And stylish as for programmer :D Keep it up!
Thanks, that's just the concept :wink: If someone with better art skills can make it into a beautiful logo, that'd be better. I personally really like this name because it is meaningful, short, simple (it's just changing an "i" to a "y" in a very popular word in our community) and unique (I could not find any musical program with that name). Maybe a "c" could be added at the end (lybrec, rec as in "recording" and maybe the "c" could be turned to a Lyre instead of the "r"!) to make it even more distinctive and indexable by search engines (since there are organization called lybre and also "lybre software" gets corrected by Google).
Here is a sample of what I mean:

oldcastle
Established Member

Post by oldcastle »

oscillator wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:25 pm I don't know, and I am not that sure that I have an opinion that is very strong, at all.

I will try to get @spamatica and @Tim E. Real to join us! :)
Yeah..it's vital here to know what @spamatica and @Tim E. Real think about all this.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hey guys!

I do not have too much to add at the moment (and not a lot of time).

As I noted before, I'm not against rebranding and I think we have walked through several of the technical issues, like possibly changing the name of the repository (as I understood github has built in support for this kind of thing).

The big issue then is to find a name and design that enough people can get behind. And as someone noted, if we are going to keep using MusE as part of the name we might as well keep the original name MusE, with 20+ years of history.

I am slow to absorb these kinds of changes myself so I won't promote any specific ones, yet. They still feel too weird to me :D
MusE DAW
nosleepjusthuh
Established Member

Post by nosleepjusthuh »

Hi guys, maybe a bit odd for a first post but I read this thread and had a little think.
I'm not much of a graphics artist, but I was wondering what could be distinct and related to a DAW.

cellarDAW came to mind, a play on the Tolkien response to "what are the most beautiful words" or some such.
Also seemed relevant as it's sort of a musing thought with an interesting answer.
cellarDAW.png
cellarDAW.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
cellarDAW2.png
cellarDAW2.png (13.52 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
Keep up the good work on MusE btw, I just started tinkering with it and it's more stable than I expected it to be!
Last edited by nosleepjusthuh on Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Today I came across this post in the news

https://museapp.com/memos/2022-05-dive- ... -muse-2.0/

Apparently, there is a Mac app called Muse. I don't know how popular it is though, and I suspect it was created after MusE.

andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

Basslint wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:18 am and I suspect it was created after MusE.
Definitely. "We spun out as a commercial entity (Muse Software, Inc) in 2019" is written on their "about us" section.
Sorry if I distracted you with such a nonsense.
garlic128
Established Member

Post by garlic128 »

Hi,
I'm a new user of MusE and so far I've been very happy with it. Congratulations on creating such as fun and great application.
My only regret is not using it sooner. I'm surprised that it's not more popular. I started using it because my previous Linux DAW doesn't easily support Sidechaining (which is important for trance music), so I started searching around and I discovered MusE. Sidechaining works beautifully in MusE.

I have three questions and one suggestion.

Questions:
1) How do you pronounce MusE? Does it rhyme with the word, 'News', or does it rhyme with the word 'Shoes'?
2) Why is the E capitalized?
3) What does MusE mean?

Suggestion:
I've reading that there's been talk about possibly changing the name but wanting to keep 'MusE' in the title. This may not be a bad idea.
Searching the internet for 'MusE' brings up various different results. My suggestion is: perhaps adding a word such as 'Groove' or 'Beat'.
For example, MusE-beat or MusE-groove. Although that may make it sound like it's more geared towards electronic/trance music. I'm just
throwing ideas out to hopefully help. There are obviously more music-related words that can be added to the current title to make it stand-out more.

Thank you MusE team!
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Hello,

I'm not sure how popular and well-known MusE Sequencer is, and how much that has to do with the brandname 'muse' being overused, but at least when someone now googles Muse the band, Muse the creative agency, Muse the London theatre, or Muse the medical users software exchange, there is a nonzero chance that a link to Muse Sequencer comes up somewhere on page 999, the googler accidentally hits that page, and just happens to be on the lookout for a midi sequencer for Linux too :)

That aside, I like MusE Sequencer as is.
If only someone took down that abomination of a website muse-sequencer.org. How dare they!