How do I add MIDI control after record notes with MIDI external knob?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

digitsun
Established Member

How do I add MIDI control after record notes with MIDI external knob?

Post by digitsun »

Hello,

I recorded a midi notes with a virtual synth and I want add cutoff variations (cc 74) after record them. When playing the instrument with a usb midi controller all sounds good but I don't know how to record this new cutoff variations in the created notes.

Is possible write midi controls with a external midi controller after recorded midi notes? or Is it necessary to record everything again (midi notes + cc)? or Is the only way draw the control info with pencil (a tedious way because is more funny with knobs)?
oscillator
Established Member

Re: How do I add MIDI control after record notes with MIDI external knob?

Post by oscillator »

Hi!

You can create a new MIDI channel for the same instrument and record control changes on the new one.

I often have two MIDI channels connected to the same soft synth so I easily can try different variations (and add voices to some parts of a song).

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Regarding using an external knob.
Using another external knob than the actual parameter, that is. It can be done, but...

The Midi and Audio systems in MusE are sometimes not as perfectly aligned as one would want. For audio automation (parameters to plugins for instance) this would have been accomplished by right clicking on the wanted parameter and selecting Midi control : assign, to wire a midi controller to this particular parameter.

For midi -I just realized- it appears not to work that way, at least not yet. Possibly due to design conflicts, which midi goes where... I don't actually know.

I did however discover another way to achieve this using the Midi->Input Transform...
In the screenshot below I setup CC2 to control Panning CC10.
There is some discovery needed to be done to figure out what it all does, for instance the Modules block, I've got no idea what that does, it needed to be checked at least.
midi_input_transform.png
midi_input_transform.png (87.7 KiB) Viewed 5981 times
MusE DAW
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Yes I've done it. In my case the notes and the later controller were both from the same keyboard.
As oscillator says, you could simply create a new midi track on whatever port and channel
that your USB controller is on, even if it comes from the same device port and channel
that the notes came from, and then record you controller performance to that track.

In my case, since my controller and port were on the same device, I recorded my
controller performance to the same track that the notes were on.
Simply record-arm the track again and then record. The notes will playback while at the same time
your controller performance will be recorded to the track. (Just don't accidentally hit any notes
during your controller performance!)

The 'Midi Transformator' and the 'Midi Input Transformator' are fairly powerful tools.
Some folks use them, some never. I do try to fix their bugs and keep them working.
Even until somewhat recently, they still were kinda not working right. I hope they are now.
I added the Processing > Value2 > 'Toggle' option.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hm, actually if you would like your USB controller performance to be recorded
on the same track as the notes, which I understand are from a different device,
then the Midi Input Transformator may help:

The Midi Input Transformator can 'fool' your single midi track into thinking that
the notes and the controllers all came from the same device, port, and channel,
as if it was all in one device. That would allow you to use just one midi track for everything.
digitsun
Established Member

Post by digitsun »

Thanks for all folks. I applied the two methods: new track for same instrument (@oscillator
) and record midi controls over notes (@Tim E. Real). Very useful info from @spamatica too.