assigning midi tracks to specific channels

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

forrestc

assigning midi tracks to specific channels

Post by forrestc »

I'm using one instance of Zynaddsubfx, with different 'parts' enabled & set to different 'instruments'. MusE seems to recognize/send-to only part 1. It doesn't let me put in multiple port assignments to zyn with the extra channels needed for different parts.

I am not using MusE to generate audio, just sending midi to zyn.

This works beautifully for the one MusE part in my first midi track. When I add new parts in new tracks and try to play them to various alsa virtual-midi ports (also connected to zyn via aconnectgui ), nothing happens. Zyn is able to make notes on that part, but MusE isn't sending the channel 2 midi notes.

Help?!

Forrest Curo
San Diego, US
spamatica
Established Member

Re: assigning midi tracks to specific channels

Post by spamatica »

Hi Forrest,

I struggled a bit with Zynaddsubfx, having used it too little and with the new UI I was totally lost : P
But in the end I think I got what you request working, getting Zyn to play multiple instruments.

First of all, try to make all configuration from inside MusE. It probably does work doing it with tools outside, but MusE has all the options internally, and it should be easier to explain and contain that way. Which, on tangent, is mostly why I do advocate running synths as plugins. Then MusE can save all configuration in the song file and there should be fewer things that can go wrong.

But anyway, for running it externally, with midi routed through Alsa, these steps should help:
- start both muse and zyn
- open the MusE Settings->Midi ports dialog and verify that there is a Zynaddsubfx ALSA device in the Usable devices list. And if it is not already assigned, add it to an empty device line in the Device port assignments list.

Now create a couple of midi tracks in the arranger and, if necessary, set their Port to be the Zynaddsubfx device. Now all these midi tracks will send their output to Zyn, but since the midi channel is still 1, all of them will send to the first 'part' - as they seem to call it in Zyn.
To send to other parts, simply change the Ch (midi output channel) column for each track so it corresponds to the correct 'part'.

That should do it, if not, just let us know where it goes wrong!
MusE DAW