KPP TubeAmp LV2 not in plugin list

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Basslint
Established Member

KPP TubeAmp LV2 not in plugin list

Post by Basslint »

Hello,

here on openSUSE both I and another user cannot see kpp_tubeAmp in the plugin list. The plugin regularly shows up in Ardour and Carla. The console log says nothing interesting. How come?

I am using MusE 4.0.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: KPP TubeAmp LV2 not in plugin list

Post by Tim E. Real »

The plugin requires the host to support 'loadDefaultState', which MusE does not.
I will attempt to start adding it right now. Been a while, could be tough... Wish me luck.

Apologies for the lack of terminal info. It messed me up too, chasing the cause.
I will try to print some info when a plugin cannot be loaded or supported.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

In Git master now:

- LV2: Support loadDefaultState feature. Tested OK with Exampler plugin for example.
- LV2: Add initial support for requestValue feature. Unfinished - handled but ignored.
(Stops crash with Exampler plugin 'request' button.)

The good news: The kpp tube plugin loads now.

The bad news: I tested the pre-built plugin. It does not seem to be behaving well.
The plugin seems to be refusing to process its audio inputs.
It only produces squeals of feedback or pinned meters for brief bursts.
I stepped through our code and everything seems OK with regard to the proper
feeding of audio input into the plugin.
In addition, operating the plugin's UI controls often causes either an immediate crash or a crash
later when operating anything in MusE.
You might not be able to use the plugin. Try compiling it from git source. Let me know if any success.

Given that all of the other plugins in the suite work fine, I'm going to have to point the finger
at this particular plugin for now.

If anyone knows of similar problems with other plugins, let me know.

Also, I tried the plugin in QTractor and it seems to behave better than MusE - actually producing sound!
But... the plugin did tend to crash QTractor as well. Can't say for sure who's at fault though.

I sincerely hope it's not MusE's fault here. These plugins look nice.
I will follow through with anything that needs to be done on MusE's side to make these problems go away.

Tim.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 pm Also, I tried the plugin in QTractor and it seems to behave better than MusE - actually producing sound!
But... the plugin did tend to crash QTractor as well. Can't say for sure who's at fault though.

I sincerely hope it's not MusE's fault here. These plugins look nice.
I will follow through with anything that needs to be done on MusE's side to make these problems go away.

Tim.
I hope @olegkapitonov reads this and shed some light on it.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I tried the latest MusE from git with the version of kpp_tubeamp.lv2 from the GeekosDAW repo (so, not the official build).

It works (I loaded the American Clean profile) but there is harsh noise whenever a knob is turned. No crashes on my machine.

Edit: I do not experience the same issue on Qtractor, so it must be on MusE's side.