automatc midi-device-connection MusE 3.1/4.0

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Riesenzwerg
Established Member

automatc midi-device-connection MusE 3.1/4.0

Post by Riesenzwerg »

Hello,
it's since MusE 3.1. All MIDI-Devices (Softsynths, Interfaces) are automatically conected to automatically crated MusE-ports (jack-midi-0 - n) each time I start it. How can I stop this?
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: automatc midi-device-connection MusE 3.1/4.0

Post by Tim E. Real »

There is a command-line option:

-F
Do not auto-populate midi ports with midi devices found, at startup

We auto-connect so that users can just start working right away
with all available ports.
But I know sometimes this auto-connect feature can be undesirable.

Hope that helps.
Tim.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Apart from Tims suggestion, there are some settings in the Midi Ports dialog that I think might help you (unless I misunderstand the question).

When you add a Midi Track, MusE will try to auto connect it to the "best" midi device. In the default case it will connect to the first device in the list of midi devices. If softsynths are added during the process, the behaviour will however change and the last created synth will be the preferred device. If you are using softsynths I personally think this is quite logical behaviour.

There is however a way to set the preferred device, if, for instance, you work with external equipment it is likely you want a specific midi device always and it would make sense to setup this. See the Device assignment table in the Midi Ports dialog, there is a column Def Out Ch which allows you to set which device and port should be used for auto connection, simply select the device you want and select a midi channel for that port. Only one can be selected. If all are cleared it will return to the default behaviour.

Auto connect can also be set up to a specific soft synth in the same way, but you also need to save your session containing the softsynth as a template and load that from the template list, or configure it to be loaded as the startup template.
MusE DAW
Riesenzwerg
Established Member

Post by Riesenzwerg »

From where should MusE know, what is the "best" midi-device for my current song?

I create a track for one instrument of my 10 softsynth, giving me a special sound for exactly this track. And next time it connects this track to somewhere, giving an no-one-knows-what-a-sound? Bullshit. This is like Beethoven gives the score for the Flute to the Chello or randomly to anyone other, the timpani perhaps. wtf.

Me, the composer, decide, what's the best sound or synth for my music, not the program. I decide if for the song it is better to hear a Yamaha-Piano or a Bechstein bright, if it should be a solina-string-emulation or from FluidSynth-R3.sf2.
Last edited by Riesenzwerg on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Riesenzwerg
Established Member

Post by Riesenzwerg »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:50 pm We auto-connect so that users can just start working right away
with all available ports.
Maybe. But wich device with wich sound on wich port, at last to wich track? If you have 1 device it will be ok. But what if you have 10?
- zynadd
- phasEX
- SetBFree
- synthv

By the way: -F do not help and to ports assigned devices will not be saved.

In 3.0 the setup is saved into the file. Next call the setup is the same. All voices are right. now in the next call the voices are connected to jack-midi-device number x connected with anything. and my defined and named ports are pushed to bottom and not connected. sorry, for me it's a great mistake. I have more than 40 song-ideas written in MusE. In future it will be no choice, no tool for me anymore.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Are you saying you create a song, then save it, then re-open it
and the song is not exactly as you left it?
Then that would be a bug, not a design flaw.
If MusE Midi Ports are not appearing as you left them in the song,
that would be a bug.

After several dozen attempts to recreate the problem, I saw no
problems with reloading a song containing soft synths,
and jack midi devices which I had re-named.

Perhaps you are saying that each time MusE starts you would like
a blank song - but the exact same jack midi ports and soft synth devices
to always appear, every time?
That can be done with Templates, and MusE can be started each time
with any template.

So I tested saving the song as a template dozens of times.
From all those tests, one time something fishy happened upon
saving the template, a soft synth device was moved from Port # 1
to the end of the Port list and instead my re-named Jack Midi device
took its place at Port #1.
I cannot seem to recreate this now. Maybe it was my fault.

So there may indeed be a save bug lurking in there. Or not.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

FWIW i think the current MusE behavior right now is excellent. I usually create a soft synth, a midi track that automatically connects to the synth, repeat...

I have never experienced any problems with saved files either, they all appear the way i saved them. Often using about 10 soft synths and 5-6 audio tracks.

(Problems, for me, have appeared within the soft synths themselves.)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik