Automation and zoom level of audio tracks

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

theGreatWhiteShark
Established Member

Automation and zoom level of audio tracks

Post by theGreatWhiteShark »

Hey,

Since Non-Timeline seems to be officially dead and the latest commits of its author rendered it too unstable to be used in a productive environment, I just switched to Muse and I like it a lot. Great work. However, there are some rough edges that make it hard to use in my specific use case.

1. It would be great to be able to zoom into audio tracks a lot more in order to correct phase mismatches or cut at zero crossings
2. The automation tracks are quite cumbersome to use. I did open an issue for this in here https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/1024 but would add another feature. Using the volume automation there could be fade-ins and -outs and in particular cross-fades using a shortcut.

I know this is a lot and I definitely don't want to ask you to implement it for me. However, at least the second one I did plan to implement in Hydrogen at some point anyway and since you are GPL2+ and we are GPL2+ (as well as C++ & Qt5) maybe I could kill two birds with one stone. Would you consent with that having those feature would be desirable for Muse or is it already feature creep or points into a direction you don't want your application to develop into? If you agree, I would start with making a proposal of the UX I envision for the automation track. Once it's stable and polished enough to fit into Muse I would do piecewise PRs to implement it step by step over the course of maybe half a year (I'm not having that much free time at hand). The zoom thingy in point 1. is probably done way faster.

Cheers,
Phil
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Automation and zoom level of audio tracks

Post by spamatica »

Hi Phil,
theGreatWhiteShark wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:27 pm 1. It would be great to be able to zoom into audio tracks a lot more in order to correct phase mismatches or cut at zero crossings
2. The automation tracks are quite cumbersome to use. I did open an issue for this in here https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/1024 but would add another feature. Using the volume automation there could be fade-ins and -outs and in particular cross-fades using a shortcut.
I agree on both of these and most of what is in the ticket. I will add some comments on the ticket also. I have been meaning for a long time to look at fade in/out myself but other priorities come in the way...
If you are interested in taking a closer look at automation I do not think we would mind.
MusE DAW
theGreatWhiteShark
Established Member

Post by theGreatWhiteShark »

Hey spamatica,

> If you are interested in taking a closer look at automation I do not think we would mind.

Nice. Is there a preferred way you want to handle these technical discussions, like this forum, Github issues/PR drafts or a mailing list?
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

During technical discussions the existing ticket maybe?
And then a PR when it comes to implementation I think.
MusE DAW