Jack Problem

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Jack Problem

Post by TheDiamondLego »

For some reason JACK just stopped working on my rpi4, it was working just fine but now it isnt and im getting this error
119195779-0635f100-ba3a-11eb-8d28-b142c0320297.png
119195779-0635f100-ba3a-11eb-8d28-b142c0320297.png (180.59 KiB) Viewed 7990 times
MusE work just fine if i run "muse -t" to use just the PulseAudio
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Jack Problem

Post by Basslint »

Does it work if you start it manually (e.g. via qjackctl)?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@Basslint I tried and it says it cannot connect to JACK server as client
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Is there some jackd process hanging, or does this problem remain also after reboot?

At least I have every know and then situation where some jack client program dies, and jack goes to state where it passes audio for existing clients, but any changes in connections is not possible. See 'ps ax | grep jack', for me process that needs kill -9 is jackdbus

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@tavasti The problem has persisted even after multiple times of turning off my computer(unplugging it and everything) and I don't see and jakc process when looking in the task manager
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TheDiamondLego wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:24 pm @tavasti The problem has persisted even after multiple times of turning off my computer(unplugging it and everything) and I don't see and jakc process when looking in the task manager
1) make sure there is no any jack processes running. Don't know about task manager, take terminal and run:

Code: Select all

tavasti@hermo:~$ ps ax | grep jack
 3696 pts/2    SLl   17:27 qjackctl
 3708 ?        SLsl 108:32 /usr/bin/jackdbus auto
 4003 pts/26   S+     0:00 grep --color=auto jack
14093 pts/3    SLl    0:02 jackpatch
2) if there is some jackd / jackdbus process, kill it. Pick the number in front of it

kill -9 3708
3) try to start jack with qjackctl. There is button 'messages', press it and you get window showing what is happening.

TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@tavasti all I see when I run "ps ax | grep jack" is the line that has the number 4003 in your example above and that number changes each time i run "ps ax | grep jack"
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

TheDiamondLego wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 pm @tavasti all I see when I run "ps ax | grep jack" is the line that has the number 4003 in your example above and that number changes each time i run "ps ax | grep jack"
That number is the process ID (PID) which is dynamically allocated each time you start a process/application. It will usually be different each time.
Did you ever have JACK working on this system? You have a Raspberry Pi iirc. If Muse works fine with PulseAudio, is there a reason you want to use JACK?
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

sunrat wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:26 pm
TheDiamondLego wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:18 pm @tavasti all I see when I run "ps ax | grep jack" is the line that has the number 4003 in your example above and that number changes each time i run "ps ax | grep jack"
That number is the process ID (PID) which is dynamically allocated each time you start a process/application. It will usually be different each time.
Did you ever have JACK working on this system? You have a Raspberry Pi iirc. If Muse works fine with PulseAudio, is there a reason you want to use JACK?
I believe that JACK was working fine before, I didn't need to run muse with pulseaudio only before. I don't absolutely need JACK since pulseaudio does work, I just heard that JACK is better, and I'm kinda curious why it just suddenly stopped working
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Sure, that grep PID changes everytime, but point is that jackdbus / other jackd process.

ForrestH
Established Member

Post by ForrestH »

Use killall and avoid looking up PIDs:
killall -9 jackd
killall -9 jackdbus
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@tavasti @ForrestH I don't have those processes, all I have showing up this this: "5181 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto jack"
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

TheDiamondLego wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:55 pm @tavasti @ForrestH I don't have those processes, all I have showing up this this: "5181 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto jack"
JACK is not running then. That only shows the grep command you are running.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

TheDiamondLego wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:55 pm @tavasti @ForrestH I don't have those processes, all I have showing up this this: "5181 pts/0 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto jack"
If this is the output from the ps command it means that currently there is no jackd process running.

It seems that previously jack was auto started when MusE started, but for some reason this is no longer working.

As I don't really like to rely on automagical behaviour myself I would suggest that you try starting jack manually in a terminal (or using qjackctl)
A standard command line for starting jackd is:

$ jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -p 512 -r 48000
shortest possible is:

jackd -d alsa
After starting jack start MusE and it should not complain.

If the above does the trick it is quite certain the autostart is the issue.

On an Ubuntu based system there are (at least) two mechanisms for autostarting jack, likely raspberryos is similar.
1. jackdbus, which is controlled by dbus, a system service. How this works I actually do not know and I try to avoid it.
2. MusE will try to launch jack on startup, (unless the -J parameter is added)

And the latter actually confuses me a bit. We lack a few parameters to make a proper setup of jack, so this will probably be wrong most of the time.
Hmm, trying it now, it did not use the settings from the dialog, I do recognize the parameters though, probably jack has stored the last used settings or something... so I guess it's not so bad, but still it seems convoluted and unobvious.
MusE DAW
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@spamatica neither command is working, the last 2 lines in the output is "DRIVER NT: could not run driver cycle jack main caught signal 12"