How can I download/set up different instruments?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Re: How can I download/set up different instruments?

Post by TheDiamondLego »

For the ones that are open source I could try compiling them myself if they don't have pre compiled things for Linux arm 32 bit
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

I managed to get the calf studio gear installed and I'm playing around with it, thanks for helping me learn how to do this guys! This opens up a lot more that I can do!
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Hehe, arm in German means poor.
If your poor OS doesn't provide Yoshimi and/or ZynAddSubFx perhaps you should switch to another OS.
Personally I never would try to use an arm based OS to make music.

To me it's just a "armes Betriebssystem". :? :lol:
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@TAERSH well in this case, Arm (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture) is the type of processor that is in the raspberry pi, and at the moment I don't really have a choice in what I can use so it will have to do
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Yes, I know what the arm processor is.
That's why I never would use any OS based on arm.

I even don't understand why anyone would try to make music with a raspberry pi computer. There's so much possibilities of operating systems, plugins, sequencers and synthesizers etc.pp. to make music using GNU/Linux, one will immediately reach the end of use by its limitation.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

The new Apple M1 processor is ARM-based. ARM is not what restricts RPi, it just has a low power chip. Not saying an RPi would be my choice for music production but I know some people use them for live performance etc.
M1 will be in new Macs and iPads so I'm sure they will be used for music production. Some performance benchmark tests have shown it to convincingly outscore x86 processors even with emulated applications. Native applications are slowly being released.
This doesn't mean I'm buying a Mac any time soon though. My current computer is 5 years old and I expect several more years from it yet.
More on Apple M1 - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/Apple ... ng-We-Know
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@TAERSH right now the raspberry pi is my only option, to be honest i would rather have a windows compatible computer, but as I already said the raspberry pi is my only option right now. Also im not just using the rpi for making music, I do other things on it as well
Last edited by TheDiamondLego on Tue May 18, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

@TheDiamondLego don't let anything discourage you. You can certainly make music on a raspberry pi - it has more than 100x the processing power and memory of the computers that some of us used for making music in the 90s.

Of course you will have constraints compared to other modern machines, but don't let that stop you. Creativity is born of constraints. I would love to hear what music you can make with your setup.
TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@Michael Willis yea, don't worry, im not being discouraged from using it, I was just letting @TAERSH know what my situation is right now. At my skill level right now (which is nothing at all) I can only do simple things anyways, there is no way that I would be able to do a bg complicated thing, plus all im wanting to use it for is making music for my games, and with the games I'm making right now it wouldn't fit very well to have a big complicated soundtrack. I'll probly make some tunes just messing around and learning muse but for the most part im just going to be using it to make the music for the games I develope. If I dk make something just messing around and learning(and not specifically for a game) I might post it here so others (like you) can see it :)
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

I'm not trying to discourage you!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

TAERSH wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:04 pm I'm not trying to discourage you!
Sorry, maybe I used the wrong words. I think that we can all agree that the ARM processor in a Raspberry Pi will not have the same capability as an i7 or Ryzen, so @TheDiamondLego won't be able to use all of the same plugins and features that are often discussed on this forum. Still, I think that a Raspberry Pi could be used for some kind of minimalist music creation setup, and I'm interested to know how it goes.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

There was another user @hippie403 here recently, using MusE on a Raspberry PI, maybe they have some pointers on where to get synths? And if there are any showstoppers?

Another very useful synth is the fluidsynth already bundled with MusE. Like sfizz it is a sample player but it plays an older type of instruments called soundfonts (files with extension .sf2). They exist in abundance on the internet.
I think I may have touched on fluidsynth in an older video, in any case I will upload a new video later tonight that, among other things, show how to use fluidsynth.
MusE DAW
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

@TheDiamondLego: You can get ARM-binaries at kx.studio (https://kx.studio/Repositories:Plugins). These are 64 bit, I think you mentioned you were running 32 bit Raspbian? Can you reinstall the 64 bit version of Raspbian?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

TheDiamondLego
Established Member

Post by TheDiamondLego »

@oscillator I think the 64 bit raspbian is currently in development, so I would ather just stick with the stable 32 bit version even if that means I can't do as much as I would like

@TAERSH I know, I'm not saying that you were trying to discourage me, I completely understand what you were saying, the rpi4 is not a the best computer, especially for something like this. The rli4 has actually exceeded my expectations though, it is actually pretty decent for making 2d games using godot.

@spamatica maby ill check that out, as I said before I'm a complete nood with stuff like this so I'm just now learning how all this works

@Michael Willis yea, agreed, all I really want is a minimalist setup, as I said before I'm not even anywhere near the skill level that I would be using most of these fancy features
hippie403
Established Member

Post by hippie403 »

yoshimi and zynaddsubfx are both available on 32 bit Raspberry Pi OS in the standard repository.
Don't really recommend as they are a bit CPU heavy.