Using QmidiCtl with MusE

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Largos
Established Member

Using QmidiCtl with MusE

Post by Largos »

I managed to link up QmidiCtl on a phone with MusE, it was a bit confusing because in the midi sync menu there are check box buttons that look exactly the same as signal indicators, the column names are two letters and it only made sense when I hovered a column and released there was a check box to "Accept MMC Input"

I managed to get it to play and stop with QmidiCtl but none of the other buttons do anything, MusE is receiving the input though. Is there anything else I can do to get it to accept the commands properly? The most important one is to be able to set the record button.
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Using QmidiCtl with MusE

Post by spamatica »

Ah, that is interesting, I did not know that qmidictl sent MMC.

Yes, the dialog is somewhat... complicated, but gets the job done once the tooltips are understood.

I was recently made aware of a ticket we have for this exact issue, so this seems to be a limitation of MusE at the moment. Having an easily available MMC sender might help in fixing this though so thanks for that.

For the moment you could try setting up qmidictl to send Note On for these parameters and enable Midi->Remote Control in MusE, which allows MusE to translate specific Note Ons as transport commands.
MusE DAW
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Thanks, I couldn't get it to work with the Note on but I used the "CC on" column to the right in the Remote Control menu and that works to turn on the record (it doesn't toggle it off when pressed again).
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Likely the issue with Note On was that the notes were not from the same octave?
Tried here and got it to work anyway.

And more importantly, I just committed support for more MMC commands, including REC, REW and FWD.
Also, I added support for toggling the REC state for the MIDI Remote Control.

Here is the original issue for MMC
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/652
MusE DAW
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

Largos wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:32 pm [...] it was a bit confusing because in the midi sync menu there are check box buttons that look exactly the same as signal indicators, the column names are two letters and it only made sense when I hovered a column and released there was a check box to "Accept MMC Input"
I fixed up the dialog a little. The columns now have a more speaking header texts, and proper checkboxes are used where appropriate.