How to play midi over USB?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

mr_happy
Established Member

How to play midi over USB?

Post by mr_happy »

I have a KeyStep connected to PC via USB and a Volca FM connected to the KeyStep via midi cable.

Is it possible to compose a track in MusE's pianoroll and send it to the Volca via the KeyStep? If so, how do I set up the tracks in MusE, I can't figure it out?

TIA
spamatica
Established Member

Re: How to play midi over USB?

Post by spamatica »

Hi, sorry I dropped the ball on your related question in the outer forum.
mr_happy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:21 pm I have a KeyStep connected to PC via USB and a Volca FM connected to the KeyStep via midi cable.

Is it possible to compose a track in MusE's pianoroll and send it to the Volca via the KeyStep? If so, how do I set up the tracks in MusE, I can't figure it out?

TIA
The keystep has no internal synth, right, so you can't really check if the midi reaches it, or maybe you could change some CC parameter that will show up? Or does it have any midi indicator?

In any case I found this chapter in the Keystep manual "8.10.2.3. MIDI Thru"
So if you haven't set this up, this is likely the problem. As the midi should be routed through the keystep

In MusE make sure you have the keystep midi device set as output device on your midi-track (I saw you had a keystep midi device in your other question) and add some notes to the pianoroll for testing.
MusE DAW
mr_happy
Established Member

Post by mr_happy »

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, that section of the manual concerns their software which doesn't run natively on Linux. I've asked Arturia if there's any way to set 'midi thru' from the keyboard itself... fingers crossed.
mr_happy
Established Member

Post by mr_happy »

I've had a reply from Arturia tech support as follows:

Unfortunately there isn't a way on the unit itself , you need to use the MIDI Control Center.
I will pass your suggestion as a Feature Request so they implement this option on a future Firmware Update.

I don't fancy using a VM or Wine to run their software so I'll have to find another way to achieve the same effect - I suppose using Dexed soft synth with patches mirrored on the Volca is the easiest way.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I hate that more and more hardware synths have extra features that can only be accessed using proprietary software running on Win/MacOS.

Maybe you can ask them if there is a SysEx that can activate the function?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

mr_happy
Established Member

Post by mr_happy »

oscillator wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:22 pm I hate that more and more hardware synths have extra features that can only be accessed using proprietary software running on Win/MacOS.

Maybe you can ask them if there is a SysEx that can activate the function?
Yes, kind of negates the whole point of physical hardware.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Yeah, that is a shame.

Another solution is if you get a usb-to-midi adapter. Then you can connect both synths to MusE through different devices.
For instance this one:
https://www.esi-audio.com/products/midimate/

...On a completely different note, I really struggled to find a good link that did not go to amazon.
I absolutely refuse to participate in the normalisation of amazon as the worlds default store front.
MusE DAW
mr_happy
Established Member

Post by mr_happy »

Thanks for the suggestion. Might be better if I look to get a combined USB/Midi audio interface though - already starting to get too many cables and boxes for my liking! :)