Muse 4.0 build missing LV2 support

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

GMaq
Established Member

Muse 4.0 build missing LV2 support

Post by GMaq »

Hi Musos!

Wow, great work on 4.0, what an evolution!

I've built it here with your included compiler script on AVL-MXE (based on Debian Buster). Compilation completes successfully and I haven't noticed any obvious warning (but they flash by pretty quickly). My build doesn't seem to have LV2 support although I have 'lv2-dev' and 'liblilv-dev' installed. I can give it another go but thought I'd mention/ask here first.. am I missing a different LV2 development package?
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Muse 4.0 build missing LV2 support

Post by spamatica »

GMaq wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:43 pm Hi Musos!

Wow, great work on 4.0, what an evolution!

I've built it here with your included compiler script on AVL-MXE (based on Debian Buster). Compilation completes successfully and I haven't noticed any obvious warning (but they flash by pretty quickly). My build doesn't seem to have LV2 support although I have 'lv2-dev' and 'liblilv-dev' installed. I can give it another go but thought I'd mention/ask here first.. am I missing a different LV2 development package?
Hey there!

The packages for Debian are listed in the src/README under building. I'm thinking liblo or liblrdf from looking at it, but I forget exactly which libraries are involved with LV2. A missing package is probably it though.
MusE DAW
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,
liblo and lrdf are usually LADSPA dependencies and my builds have VST and LADSPA support.

Just tried the Appimage which is probably a better fit for kicking tires and LV2 is working there.. I'll look over my dependencies again later and see if I can get an LV2-enabled local build..
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

You might need one more development library: libsord
In our README it says:

Code: Select all

lilv >= 0.22.0 (development files)
        sord >= 0.14.0 (development files)
          http://drobilla.net/software

lv2 >= 1.12.0 (development files)
          http://lv2plug.in
Should be enough to allow it to compile.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi, thanks for the reply..

I do have all of those libs installed:

$ apt-cache show libsord-dev
Package: libsord-dev
Source: sord (0.16.0~dfsg0-1)
Version: 0.16.0~dfsg0-1+b1
Unfortunately the build still will not proceed with LV2 support, is it a version problem? It appears I have a newer version than you spec..

The initial configuration part of the compile blips by very fast so it's hard to get more info as to what is missing.

It would be helpful if anyone else using Debian could comment if they are seeing the same thing or not.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

GMaq wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:20 am It would be helpful if anyone else using Debian could comment if they are seeing the same thing or not.
I wrote the updated list of dependencies in the README (https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... src/README) after compiling Muse 3.x on a fresh Debian Buster install:

sudo apt-get install\
         libsndfile1-dev\
         libsamplerate0-dev\
         libjack-jackd2-dev\
         ladspa-sdk\
         qt5-default\
         qttools5-dev\
         qttools5-dev-tools\
         liblo-dev\
         dssi-dev\
         lv2-dev\
         libsamplerate0-dev\
         libsndfile1-dev\
         libfluidsynth-dev\
         libgtkmm-2.4-dev\
         librtaudio-dev\
         libqt5svg5-dev\
         libinstpatch-dev\
         liblilv-dev\
         liblrdf0-dev\
         librubberband-dev\
         python3-dev\
         python3-pyqt5
Have you installed them all? Muse 4 does offer LV2 support on my Buster machine.

If is still doesn't work, can you do another compilation and disable "Scroll on output" (or what it is called in your terminal) and look at what kind of support the process tells you you have got?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I did some more digging with the GUI frontend for CMake which gave me more readable config info

For Debian anyway you're missing libsratom-dev, without it LV2 support will not be built even if the other LV2 dev libs are present, and additionally if you want LV2 with GTK2 UI support then libgtkmm-2.4-dev should also be added.
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

libsratom-dev should be installed as a dependency of liblilv-dev. But I can add it to the list explicitly, it should do no harm.
libgtkmm-2.4-dev is already there, if I am not mistaken.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

kybos wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:39 pm libsratom-dev should be installed as a dependency of liblilv-dev. But I can add it to the list explicitly, it should do no harm.
libgtkmm-2.4-dev is already there, if I am not mistaken.
Thanks!

And yes, I had missed libgtkmm on first glance of the list, I'm not sure why lilv didn't pull in sratom in my case, probably because I had most things previously installed but it was the key to getting it all to compile.. Excellent work you guys, looking forward to taking a closer look when time allows. The new theming and dark colors scheme have made a tremendous visual difference!