issue and wishes

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

saturnin51
Established Member

issue and wishes

Post by saturnin51 »

Hello,

Issue: After loading a MIDI song, I want to delete the n first bars and copy the remaining at the bar 1: Crash and back to the desktop. If I delete the n bars and next move the remaining, crash also. So you can't modify the global structure of the song. I try by adding one audio track and I can move it by paste and copy or cut and paste.

Wishes: It would be nice to have the following functions in edition mode:
- Global cut: All parts between left and right locators are deleted but mute parts. The left locator becames also the right locator. The song is shortened.
- Global insert: At the position of the left locators, all the parts are moved from n bars to the right, n is bar number between left and right locators. But mute parts. The song is lenghtened.
- Global split: All parts between left and right locators are splited but mute parts.

In all case, the mastertrack is modified.

PS: Muse version 4 0Pre1

One more wish: In pianoroll mode, play the note by passing the pointer over without to have to click.
Last edited by saturnin51 on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spamatica
Established Member

Re: issue and whishes

Post by spamatica »

saturnin51 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:52 am Hello,

Issue: After loading a MIDI song, I want to delete the n first bars and copy the remaining at the bar 1: Crash and back to the desktop. If I delete the n bars and next move the remaining, crash also. So you can't modify the global structure of the song. I try by adding one audio track and I can move it by paste and copy or cut and paste.
Built 4.0pre1, installed and started it.
imported a midi file by dragging it to the arranger.
made a global cut from the beginning to bar 17
moved and/or copied all the parts around.. moves where I wanted it.

Could you describe this a bit more? I can't get anything bad to happen :/
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Built 4.0pre1, installed and started it.
made a global cut from the beginning to bar N.
Ctrl-A to select all the remaining tracks.
Ctrl-X and crash !
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

saturnin51 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:33 pm Built 4.0pre1, installed and started it.
made a global cut from the beginning to bar N.
Ctrl-A to select all the remaining tracks.
Ctrl-X and crash !
Very odd. Did another quick test and nothing bad happened now either. I'm bad at finding faults it seems :oops:
Maybe it is something in the midi file, does it crash with other midi files?
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Re: issue and wishes

Post by saturnin51 »

OK I understand this issue. If you make the modification with only MIDI tracks, no problem. In my case I have added OUT, INPUT, SImpledrums and Fluidsynth tracks and the result was crashes.

And what about wishes ?
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Another issues:

1- If you add new bars at the beginning of the track, or insert in the middle of the song, the master track is not modified accordingly.

2- When you edit a track, like the drum track, if you copy and paste a set of events, the song position must be placed manually at the paste position. I think It should be to go to the immediately following measure. Like copy/paste into the arrangement windows.

I renew my wishes about global cut and global insert in addition to Copy in range function.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi, sorry, busy with other things.
saturnin51 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:14 am Another issues:

1- If you add new bars at the beginning of the track, or insert in the middle of the song, the master track is not modified accordingly.

2- When you edit a track, like the drum track, if you copy and paste a set of events, the song position must be placed manually at the paste position. I think It should be to go to the immediately following measure. Like copy/paste into the arrangement windows.

I renew my wishes about global cut and global insert in addition to Copy in range function.
1. I tried adding a tempo change at bar 21 and pressed Ctrl+shift+O on bar 13. The tempo change is moved to 22 in the master track list, as expected.
Please give an example where it fails.

2. Good idea! I will see if it can be done.
saturnin51 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:09 am OK I understand this issue. If you make the modification with only MIDI tracks, no problem. In my case I have added OUT, INPUT, SImpledrums and Fluidsynth tracks and the result was crashes.
I still have trouble repeating this crash. I don't doubt it is there but if you have some more information that would be great. Will try more later.
saturnin51 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:52 am Wishes: It would be nice to have the following functions in edition mode:
- Global cut: All parts between left and right locators are deleted but mute parts. The left locator becames also the right locator. The song is shortened.
- Global insert: At the position of the left locators, all the parts are moved from n bars to the right, n is bar number between left and right locators. But mute parts. The song is lenghtened.
- Global split: All parts between left and right locators are splited but mute parts.

One more wish: In pianoroll mode, play the note by passing the pointer over without to have to click.
Can you describe the reason why muted parts would not be affected by structure operations? I don't really see the logic.

For global cut the right locator should indeed be moved to the left, I think I can fix that.

Playing notes with hover might be possible, I will check it out.
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Hello ,

1- Effectively you are right and me too ! If you move tracks with the mouse (after having cut the tracks at a given position), the master track is not modified accordingly.

2- If think that muting a track is equal to a selection. And you exclude the tracks selected from the global insert or global cut.

3- The crash: I cannot produce again this issue, so closed.