wishlist - MusE-Sequencer

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Riesenzwerg
Established Member

wishlist - MusE-Sequencer

Post by Riesenzwerg »

Hello,
@admin: sry, I hope it's the right place. I found no other. Otherwise move it. thank you. I promise, I write very seldom.

first:
I'm not an native english-speaker. So it is possible you find some strange diction. I hope you understand anyhow. If you like to answer me (no need) in english, it's hard to understand, but I try anyhow.

next:
I am a user. And before I bannend M$ from my computer to install a more progressive OS called linux, I worked with a program called "Digital Orchestrator Pro" (win98) and "Cubasis" (trial-version for a time). On Linux I've looked for some similar for my kind of work and found MusE. I prefer to write my songs by mouse and keyboard, less by MIDI-keyboard. For me it's more exactly.

The MusE-Sequencer is a very good program, but still there are some particular things I miss.

The Arranger-Window:
- Ardour has the possibility to let appear some different rulers for tempi-change and other things. For midi-workers I think it would be helpful, if there could be a ruler for chords. Currently I do something similar with an Track and name parts. But this does not appear in the piano-roll-editor. Markers do, but you can not create different markers (different marker-colors go realized in MusE4.0; for the loop-marker you can use different linies).
- If you insert bars, it eats the direct right-sided marker.
- a possibility to insert multiple bars would be nice (maybe like in musescore)
- still I've found no function to delete bars.

The Arranger-Window - Track-Info-panel:
- There you can configure the controllers 7, 10, 0, program-select, 91, 93, 94. But if you like to take it over, you have to open the list-editor. It would be nice to have a "make-it-real" or "takeover"-button for the single or all controllers you can configure comfortable in the panel.
- a composition should have a even number of bars. If you use the first bar to initialize the devices, you get an odd number. Could there be an hidden (optional visible to edit) bar 0 for the first initializing? (or count bars starting optional with 0 and bar 0 could be hidden)

The Arranger-Window - list-editor:
If you have opened more than one list-editor-windows, you can not see, which list-window belongs to which part. In the pianorollup-editor you got a good solution in windowtitle. There you see which piano-rollup-window belongs to which part.

The Arranger-Window - parts:
- It would be helpful, if you could rename multiple parts (all selectet).
- Kdenlive has a nice funktion to group clips (parts). So you can arrange parts as a block.
- It would be nice to see controllers better in the parts. Mabe in a separate areas along one part. So the part-area ist shared in a controller-rail and in a midi-note-rail along the part. OR there can be flags inside the part as particular part-markers. But if you have a row of volume-controllers for a crescendo, you got a forest of flags.
- the backgroud could be used for additional song-structuring by creating colored and labled areas oder grouped blocks (see above) can be labled and have different background(colors).

The Pianorollup-Editor - Controller area.
- the line-function is one reason, because I use MusE. A cream topping would be, if the line could be optional changed to a beziercurve.
- for a more precie work it would be nice to have a grid behind the controllerlevels. To observe the value in the icon-bar during move the pressed mouse is a litle bit complicated. But it trains the coordination.

The IDFs:
+ (only to know) idfs are a great thing to give instrument-list a new order. In the Polyphone-Soundfont-Editor is a function to extract the patch-names in a text-file.
- if you let the instrumet-editor order the patch- or controller-name at last, it looks more organized
ex: yours:

Code: Select all

<Patch name="Bright Piano" prog="1" />
            <Patch name="E.Grand" prog="2" />
            <Patch name="Honky-tonk" prog="3" />
            <Patch name="E.Piano" prog="4" />

ex: mine:

Code: Select all

<Patch hbank="0" lbank="0" prog="0" name="Clavinova Grand" />	
            <Patch hbank="1" lbank="0" prog="0" name="Grand Piano 2" />
            <Patch hbank="0" lbank="0" prog="1" name="Seinway" />	
            <Patch hbank="1" lbank="0" prog="1" name="Sustained Grand" />

maybe some things are already done. I work with version 3.0.2 on Kubuntu 20.04.1 Maybe there are some new Ideas for you. thank you for reading.

greets from austria/europa.
kybos
Established Member

Re: wishlist - MusE-Sequencer

Post by kybos »

Thanks for your feedback, there are certainly some interesting ideas.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi Riesenzwerg,
Riesenzwerg wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:27 am The Arranger-Window:
- If you insert bars, it eats the direct right-sided marker.
- a possibility to insert multiple bars would be nice (maybe like in musescore)
- still I've found no function to delete bars.
I agree with kybos, an extensive list and some good ideas, thanks!

Regarding the bar functions above. The first one is not working right, it destroys markers and automation too I think. Will see if I can get it working for.

But there are alternatives, check the Functions->Structure menu for insert/cut and split functions. Insert and cut work on the start and end markers.
You may need 3.1 for them to handle markers and automation correctly (it was an oversight that Insert bar did not get the same fix)

MusE 3.0 is pretty old, you are of course welcome to try the new 4.0 prerelease, (or the current master) it should be quite stable already.
MusE DAW
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

spamatica wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:46 pm Regarding the bar functions above. The first one is not working right, it destroys markers and automation too I think. Will see if I can get it working for.

But there are alternatives, check the Functions->Structure menu for insert/cut and split functions. Insert and cut work on the start and end markers.
You may need 3.1 for them to handle markers and automation correctly (it was an oversight that Insert bar did not get the same fix)
I have to correct myself, either I misremember or someone else fixed it.
It works for all the functions now with one snag, UNDO must be pressed twice before everything is rolled back.
MusE DAW
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

spamatica wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:46 pm But there are alternatives, check the Functions->Structure menu for insert/cut and split functions. Insert and cut work on the start and end markers.
I was always wondering why this Structure submenu was hidden in the Functions menu (which contains mostly event processing), I guess nobody will look for it there. I for my part would expect it under Edit->Global, or something like that.
I know the Edit menu is quite crowded already, but then we could create some more submenus there (e.g. "Paste special" for all the paste variants).
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

kybos wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:00 am
spamatica wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:46 pm But there are alternatives, check the Functions->Structure menu for insert/cut and split functions. Insert and cut work on the start and end markers.
I was always wondering why this Structure submenu was hidden in the Functions menu (which contains mostly event processing), I guess nobody will look for it there. I for my part would expect it under Edit->Global, or something like that.
I know the Edit menu is quite crowded already, but then we could create some more submenus there (e.g. "Paste special" for all the paste variants).
True, I don't remember if we put it there consciously at some point or if it's always been there.
I agree it's more of an Edit thing.
MusE DAW
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

Riesenzwerg wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:27 am The Pianorollup-Editor - Controller area.
- for a more precie work it would be nice to have a grid behind the controllerlevels. To observe the value in the icon-bar during move the pressed mouse is a litle bit complicated. But it trains the coordination.
I added a dynamic tooltip to the control canvas that shows the exact value as the mouse is moving. I think this is even more exact than a horizontal grid.