[SOLVED] Automation

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

kybos
Established Member

Re: Automation

Post by kybos »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:19 pm For the other editors, I think it would be unwise to make them single instance.
The ability to view the same part in different places at one time is valuable, the cut/copy/paste facility being one reason.
Yes, no question that this possibility has added value and should be kept.
On the other side, how often is it really exploited in practice? 1% of the editing time? Less? Perhaps never for many users?
So most of the time it's probably rather an annoying usability issue, as one mostly ends with many duplicated open windows without a real need for them, which makes the workspace crowded and unclean.

I envisage something like that:
When opening a part (or a set of parts) for editing, jump to existing opened window with the same parts if there is one already. This should be the default.
If you really want to open a duplicate window explicitly, just hold Shift while double-clicking a part, or Shift-click the corresponding editor menu entry, or use a dedicated shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+E instead of the usual Ctrl+E for Pianoroll).
A slightly less elegant solution could be to simply switch the old/new behaviour globally by means of a user setting.
I have already implemented most of that in a branch, in fact. I was just not sure if I should go for the user setting option or the other one.
oscillator
Established Member

Re: Automation

Post by oscillator »

kybos wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:35 pm I envisage something like that:
When opening a part (or a set of parts) for editing, jump to existing opened window with the same parts if there is one already. This should be the default.
If you really want to open a duplicate window explicitly, just hold Shift while double-clicking a part, or Shift-click the corresponding editor menu entry, or use a dedicated shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+E instead of the usual Ctrl+E for Pianoroll).
FWIW, this beahiour is what I would like.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Automation

Post by Tim E. Real »

So IIUC, when double clicking an Arranger part that is already open in a tab,
it will normally simply jump to the double-clicked position in the open tab, unless shift or some other mechanism is held?

No real objections from me. As long as we make it as clear as possible to the user that yes, another tab can be opened if desired.

Question: How would multiple parts be handled? It is possible to select multiple Arranger parts and open them all in one editor.
If a tab is already open with multiple parts, what would happen if they now double-click on just one of those Arranger parts?
Hopefully you can a) force the given part to be the current one in the tab (should be possible) and b) go to that double-clicked place.

Also, what happens if part(s) is open in a tab, then user double-clicks on a different Arranger part?
Will it normally always open in a new tab? I would think that would be the best thing to do.
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

Tim E. Real wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 pm So IIUC, when double clicking an Arranger part that is already open in a tab,
it will normally simply jump to the double-clicked position in the open tab, unless shift or some other mechanism is held?
Exactly.
Not only for the tabbed mode, it will work the same even if the windows are floating. It has to be consistent, as you can combine/switch tabbed and floating windows very easily. It will be similar for the Event list dock as well.
Tim E. Real wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 pm No real objections from me. As long as we make it as clear as possible to the user that yes, another tab can be opened if desired.
Yes, good ideas are welcome how to make it clear.
(This is nicely solved in Inkscape for example - you can always see in the status bar which actions you can take on the object under mouse cursor, and with which modifiers.)
Tim E. Real wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 pm Question: How would multiple parts be handled? It is possible to select multiple Arranger parts and open them all in one editor.
If a tab is already open with multiple parts, what would happen if they now double-click on just one of those Arranger parts?
Hopefully you can a) force the given part to be the current one in the tab (should be possible) and b) go to that double-clicked place.
I want to keep it simple and clear: A new window is opened for each new combination of parts, i.e. one part can be still opened in several windows.
It's not really possible to ensure that one part is opened in only one window at a time (e.g. the following situation: You open parts A and B in separate windows, then select both and open them - you see?).
Tim E. Real wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:59 pm Also, what happens if part(s) is open in a tab, then user double-clicks on a different Arranger part?
Will it normally always open in a new tab? I would think that would be the best thing to do.
Yes, of course.

BTW: The number of opened parts per editor will now be displayed in the tab/window title if > 1. I missed this hint a lot.
I also fixed some issues - it was possible to open parts in the wrong editors in some situations.
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

Guess what, I've just discovered this old ticket:
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/130
It's requesting precisely the same thing I'm just trying to implement, what a coincidence... :o
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

It's now all in master, you can test if you like.

More details in changelog:

https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... /ChangeLog
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Thanks for all this heavy lifting you've been doing.
You're taking over that ChangeLog :)
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

kybos wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:26 pm It's now all in master, you can test if you like.

More details in changelog:

https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... /ChangeLog
Fantastic! I will try it out later today!

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Tested (briefly)! Works beautifully!

Great stuff happning with the interface -- I like it very much! Many thanks to @kybos!
muse_if.png
muse_if.png (82.96 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Cool.
Early tests show very nice improvements!
MusE DAW