New MusE logo

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Basslint
Established Member

Re: New MusE logo

Post by Basslint »

I would avoid the top and bottom bars because they are used by the band Muse and nobody likes lawsuits :lol:

I like the color and I feel the "drum diamonds" could be used to decorate the logo in some way.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Get rid of the staff lines, it makes it harder to read. Get rid of the editors, keep it simple. If I can tell what it is as a tiny favicon then you're on the right track.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

d.healey wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am Get rid of the staff lines, it makes it harder to read. Get rid of the editors, keep it simple. If I can tell what it is as a tiny favicon then you're on the right track.
I like that way of thinking. I have been posting a lot of suggestions. The one I like the most is this one:
muse_logo_fav.png
muse_logo_fav.png (33.6 KiB) Viewed 2219 times
Simple, strong profile color (needn't be this color), bold, flat (that's good!), and it gives a slight hommage to the harp. At the same time it is recognizable (that's what we look at in menus and on the desktop, right).

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Basslint wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:02 am I would avoid the top and bottom bars because they are used by the band Muse and nobody likes lawsuits :lol:
:D

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

oscillator wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:43 am
d.healey wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 am Get rid of the staff lines, it makes it harder to read. Get rid of the editors, keep it simple. If I can tell what it is as a tiny favicon then you're on the right track.
I like that way of thinking. I have been posting a lot of suggestions. The one I like the most is this one:

muse_logo_fav.png

Simple, strong profile color (needn't be this color), bold, flat (that's good!), and it gives a slight hommage to the harp. At the same time it is recognizable (that's what we look at in menus and on the desktop, right).
But then, the capital E goes missing and I think it's distinctive enough to be kept :?

Now that I think about it, the 3 legs of the M could be the black keys of a piano key. That would require a white background, though.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I was in a band that had some graphic design work done and there was a difference between the logotype and the logo (or logomark). If we take Nike -- the swoosh is the logo and the combination of the word 'Nike' and the swoosh is the logotype.

In this scenario we've got ideas for the logotype. For a desktop icon a logo -- just an image -- is an idea. I usually recognise icons by their colour at first. Could be an idea to stay with gold.

Also using capital 'M' and 'E' is established and is recognisable even in plain text.

Just some ideas :)
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

merlyn wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:15 am I was in a band that had some graphic design work done and there was a difference between the logotype and the logo (or logomark). If we take Nike -- the swoosh is the logo and the combination of the word 'Nike' and the swoosh is the logotype.
You are absolutely correct in this (that is how we distinguish them in Sweden too).

I think this will be my final suggestion. I tried to incorporate much of what has been discussed, while still keeping what I would like to see.

Thanks, everyone!

PS And the tag line is just a place-holder. DS
muse_logo6_final.png
muse_logo6_final.png (31.59 KiB) Viewed 2207 times

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

oscillator wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:50 pm
merlyn wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:15 am I was in a band that had some graphic design work done and there was a difference between the logotype and the logo (or logomark). If we take Nike -- the swoosh is the logo and the combination of the word 'Nike' and the swoosh is the logotype.
You are absolutely correct in this (that is how we distinguish them in Sweden too).

I think this will be my final suggestion. I tried to incorporate much of what has been discussed, while still keeping what I would like to see.

Thanks, everyone!

PS And the tag line is just a place-holder. DS

muse_logo6_final.png
I prefer the previous version, it's easier to read and would work well even as a silhouette.
David Healey
ancares
Established Member

Post by ancares »

Hi all! I'm new to the forum. A few days ago I read about MusE in the comments of one of the Unfa videos, and decided to give it a try. I think it's a cool software with a great approach to modern music production.

At the moment, my contributions to free software projects have been basically in the field of translation into Galician and Spanish. But since I have worked for years as a designer and illustrator in various companies, I thought that perhaps I could contribute in this section to update the image of MusE. Therefore, this weekend I thought that I could give the logo a twist, as the beginning of a new aesthetic approach.

I don't know why, I didn't do a previous research to see if there were people already working on this issue and it wasn't until I finished the job that I came across this thread. The truth is that I am quite surprised that two designers have agreed on the same idea with so few days of each other, so I decided to register in the forum to comment on my proposal here. Either way, it's just a sketch and needs polishing in a number of ways, but I'd love to hear your thoughts...

I think that, although in the same direction, my approach is different from that of my fellow designer. I chose to focus on the icon and kept for the logo a simple font choice, looking at other related software (I took Ardor, LMMS and Zrythm as references, but also Ableton, ProTools, Cubase or Reaper, and different DAWs online).

My intention was to take the spirit of the current icon, with the lyre as a representation of the Greek muses, but giving it a more abstract and minimalist look. The idea was to create a modern, simple and lightweight badge, comparable to other popular current DAWs.

At the same time, I wanted the logo to be able to constitute a stylistic reference, a vocabulary, for a hypothetical adaptation of the general visual section (Splash screen, interface, etc.) following the same principles of simplicity, lightness and modernity.

I don't want to go into explaining it in much detail (I'm not going to talk about proportions, etc.) because these things either work at a glance or they don't work. But as curiosities I will tell you about the logo:

-The form, although abstract, invokes the lyre as a symbol of the muses. Positioning it on a corner seeks that feeling of 'ethereal' or unstable balance with which we identify 'inspiration'.

-At the same time this shape represents a letter m (it can also be seen as an E tilted to the left, although not so clearly).

-On the other hand, the use of parallel lines is intended to invoke, in addition to the lyre strings, graphic elements present in all DAWs, such as automation tracks and channels or levels and equalizers. At the same time, the way in which the contour falls is reminiscent of the type of curves that we usually find in automations, filters (in this case a low pass), etc. (I can see also a keyboard or even a grand piano seen from above)

Regarding the colors and fonts, the large version is the one that I would personally choose, but I add some variations to compare. Some version uses the yellow in reference to the gold of the previous logo, the serif typeface gives it a more elegant style, etc ...
I consider the 3-color version more original and interesting, and it is also aimed at establishing a color code that could be extended to other elements of the graphical interface, for example to differentiate between different types of track, etc.

I hope you like it, it's just something I did and wanted to share with you. It also served me as an excuse to register in this forum, of which I hope to continue being an active part. Greetings to all!

PS: Excuse my English as I am not a native speaker.
g1837.png
g1837.png (137.14 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I @ancares and welcome! I personally think the logo is great and recognizable; the only thing you could do is to spell MUSE as MusE, because in this case the capital M and E are already a distinctive mark of sort.

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

ancares wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:10 pmI hope you like it, it's just something I did and wanted to share with you.
Very nice, very modern. Good job.
ancares
Established Member

Post by ancares »

Thank you both for your kind words! I'm glad you liked it!
Basslint wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:16 am the only thing you could do is to spell MUSE as MusE, because in this case the capital M and E are already a distinctive mark of sort.
I appreciate your comment. I think I could improve a little the font work in general, so I'll consider that. Thanks!
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Basslint wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:16 am because in this case the capital M and E are already a distinctive mark of sort.
Yeah but it's ugly and makes it harder to read. Make it all one case unless there is some practical reason that you want to emphasise the word "ME" and make the word "us" less important.
David Healey
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Keep in mind the name stands for "Music Editor". Hence the capital M and E.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Tim E. Real wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:16 pm Keep in mind the name stands for "Music Editor". Hence the capital M and E.
This isn't mentioned on the homepage or the wiki, I don't think any new users will know this, they will just see a logo with uppercase letters at each end.
David Healey