New MusE logo

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

oscillator
Established Member

Re: New MusE logo

Post by oscillator »

folderol wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:30 pm The image I have (and have had since about 2007) is a gold 3d lyre, but at that time I copied it to a very small icon to use with Rox filer and after all this time I don't have the original any more.

Traditionally the three muses are associated with music, food and spirituality, so that's the association the lyre invokes in my mind. The lyre in your examples is so stylized it's only recognised retrospectively.
So maybe that is the important part to keep, a 3d lyre (I would call it a harp). What do you other people think?

I know people use MusE for making such different kinds of music, and that is good, and I think that maybe my suggestions are a bit electronic. Well, anyway, it was fun to do the sketches.

Thank you for all the comments!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Not that I think MusE needs a new logo, but I feel like a variation of the original lyre integrated with the name might be a good start. The lyre could be detached for a desktop icon. I've attached a draft and some source files for remixing if anyone feels up to it (this isn't the kind of work I do without explicit direction from IP owners).

:wink: Have fun.
Attachments
muse-logo.png
muse-logo.png (25.52 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
muse-logo-draft-1.zip
(46.91 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

That works much better for me.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

But it is not a lyre right now, it is a harp.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

No, but it's close :lol:

Actually looking online there are an enormous variety of Lyres - and the same for harps. They somewhat cross over to - just to make it interesting :shock:
Attachments
muse.png
muse.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
AppInfo.xml
(141 Bytes) Downloaded 88 times
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi guys,

Personally I much appreciate the discussion and I agree that with the facelift work that kybos is doing, it would be cool with a new logo!
Another reason, as was mentioned, is that I believe the sources to the old logo are lost in time, both the font and the vector art...

I like the idea of using staffs and the harp but I have to agree they look busy, straining the eyes. Not being a graphics designer but I feel there is simply too much fine detail.

The staff have too thin lines and they should only be visible in the background, not through the letters.
What about 8 and 9 reducing the harp strings and staff lines to only three and make them a bit thicker?

What about piano keys? I mean in relation to electronic music.
MusE DAW
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Some more suggestion, both the redone "electronic", and some lighter fonts, with piano keys. Thicker lines, too.
muse_logo4.png
muse_logo4.png (182.01 KiB) Viewed 1948 times

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Again, is there not a way to turn the black piano keys into the horizontal lines of the E? :lol:

Edit: then the M or the U could become the lyre and the S could be part of a treble clef, some random ideas!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Basslint wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:22 pm Again, is there not a way to turn the black piano keys into the horizontal lines of the E? :lol:
Tried it, but it didn't work...
Basslint wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:22 pm Edit: then the M or the U could become the lyre and the S could be part of a treble clef, some random ideas!
:) That is for someone else to try! Thank you for all interesting suggestions!

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Basslint wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:22 pm Again, is there not a way to turn the black piano keys into the horizontal lines of the E? :lol: Edit: then the M or the U could become the lyre and the S could be part of a treble clef, some random ideas!
There are other Muse logos out there that use the treble clef. Also, there is a famous band named muse, so it's always best to steer clear of their logo.

Here is another variant:
Attachments
muse-logo-2.png
muse-logo-2.png (12.27 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

OK, now you have my attention :)

This one is obvious to conjure in one's mind from your suggestion, but seeing it looks interesting.

I stared at it several times and... hmm... mmph... you know... like... yeah... something about it says logical, straight-forward, even obvious.
I felt a strong feeling that... something... is... missing... Can't quite place it.
The missing vertical bar on the E? Ouch, I can see why that would not have worked.

I thought, how about an actual grand piano body extending from the left-most outline of the piano all the way to the left,
surrounding the letters M, u, s, thus the right edge of the piano body forms the missing 'vertical bar' for the E,
perhaps with the edge emphasized at the E.

But of course, MusE isn't really just about pianos, eh?

Maybe, perhaps certainly, some kind of styling/colouring/background or whatever works, can be applied.
Maybe just slightly too barren with this one :wink:
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Your other one above with the 'U' is also nice. Keeps the tradition.

Oscillator's 19b or 20 are also interesting but with those the 'E issue' occurred to me as well when I saw them.
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Tim E. Real wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:50 amMaybe just slightly too barren with this one :wink:
Agreed, and thanks for the feedback. I'm just making jazz out of Oscillator's designs and I'm putting hardly any thought or effort into it. This isn't something I would seriously work on without explicit direction from the MusE team. But I like contributing to the pool of ideas!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Tim E. Real wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:50 am But of course, MusE isn't really just about pianos, eh?
The piano could symbolize the piano roll and something from notation could symbolize the notation editor. Maybe something else (a couple of drumsticks?) could symbolize the percussion editor.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Here are some tries at getting the editors into the logo... I don't know. The font should change, but maybe the stuff that is happning to the right could be something to build upon.
muse_logo5.png
muse_logo5.png (149.8 KiB) Viewed 1911 times