Where can I find detailed documentation for wave editor?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Plug&Play
Established Member

Where can I find detailed documentation for wave editor?

Post by Plug&Play »

I am having difficulty with the track editing tools. I am a newb to using arranger, and have found the tutorial videos, and looked in the manual, but have not found information for the wave editor.

My project is to import a wave file that a friend recorded, use the editor to determine and set the BPM (done), align the audio with bar lines (done). FYI: His timing when recording was quite good, and I am willing to nudge the midi track a bit as needed, it will be sufficient for a concept recording.

There are three things that I have not been able to figure out:
  • create space for 2 bar lead in
  • move the waveform to align with bar lines
  • mix down to a stereo wave file - have not tried yet
I have not been able to learn these tasks:
  • basic wave editing: aligning to bar lines, adding silence at start and end
  • how to use (or understand) the range, stretch and sample rate icons in the editor
  • I have trouble selecting and deleting sections - del, ctl-x ctl-k ? Usually the entire waveform gets deleted, other times it doesn't appear to work unless I select it again [*] is it possible to change the Jack sample rate in Muse? Yesterday I thought I saw an option.
  • Also, Yesterday I stopped jack, changed the rate to 48000, restarted Jack and when I imported an audio file recorded at 48000 it did it without converting. Today it wants to convert it.
I would be grateful for pointers to documents or videos - I am not finding this in the Documentation list https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... umentation

Edit 4:09 PDT OK! most or many of my problems were that I didn't understand the selection tools. I still would like to learn more, but I know how to deselect all.

Rob

Music Music Music !
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Where can I find detailed documentation for wave editor?

Post by spamatica »

Hello again,

Some more attempts at answering your questions.
Also, you nudged me towards making videos again so here's a brand new one about the wave editor and the features I talked about in the other thread :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7FDOyQdG9A
Now with webcam! :-o
Plug&Play wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 pm There are three things that I have not been able to figure out:
  • create space for 2 bar lead in
  • move the waveform to align with bar lines
  • mix down to a stereo wave file - have not tried yet
To add space in the Arranger there are basically three options.
1. Select all parts (Ctrl+A) and move them with the mouse. A bit error prone and can work badly if there are parts that do not start on the snap value as they will be quantized to the snap value. If snap is set to Off during this it will work better but often you WANT to utilize snap when moving parts around.
2. Functions->Structure>Global Insert can be used to insert space whereever. The left and right (blue) markers are used to select where the insert will happen and how much space to insert.
3. Ctrl+Shift+O: insert one measure where the play pointer is

Moving wave forms to align to the midi track.
We talked about the Wave editor and that it makes it possible to make so called destructive changes to audio. This can of course be used to align individual bits to bar lines but can be tedious for bigger changes, and the destructive bit means that it may be impossible to undo these changes in later sessions. It does happen that I do this but generally I prefer using the Arranger.

In the Arranger you can align tracks by zooming in, cutting out the audio Part at a good place where you see a timing difference, set Snap to Off and nudge the cut out Part until it better corresponds to the correct timing.
There are many things that affect how this is approached and it might be my next take at a video as it sometimes is hard to get good results without artifacts.

And thirdly, mixdown. There is a menu alternative Audio->Bounce to File which will record everything that goes to the first Output track to a wave file, this is what you want to use. The blue markers are used to select the start and stop point of the mixdown.
Plug&Play wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 pm
I have not been able to learn these tasks:
  • basic wave editing: aligning to bar lines, adding silence at start and end
  • how to use (or understand) the range, stretch and sample rate icons in the editor
  • I have trouble selecting and deleting sections - del, ctl-x ctl-k ? Usually the entire waveform gets deleted, other times it doesn't appear to work unless I select it again
    [
    *] is it possible to change the Jack sample rate in Muse? Yesterday I thought I saw an option.
  • Also, Yesterday I stopped jack, changed the rate to 48000, restarted Jack and when I imported an audio file recorded at 48000 it did it without converting. Today it wants to convert it.
more, but I know how to deselect all.
For anyone else reading this, I think the red ones are answered in the reply in another thread and also in the video.

Regarding changing samplerate. This can usually not be done during a session but requires a restart. I'm not sure jack supports changing sample rate during a session, we do not support it in MusE anyway.
Regarding changing sample rate of imported files. Could be you stumbled on a bug, I've had the feeling sometimes that it didn't change samplerate exactly as I wanted, but it could be I just got turned around too. I try to stick to one sample rate.
MusE DAW