how to bounce midi to audio?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

garvalf
Established Member

how to bounce midi to audio?

Post by garvalf »

hello,

there is an option in audio menu "bounce to track". If I select a midi track and an audio track and apply this option, Muse only records other wave files into the target tracker, but not the midi.

What can I do?
oscillator
Established Member

Re: how to bounce midi to audio?

Post by oscillator »

I regularly use Bounce to file, it records everything going OUT of MusE, including softsynths controlled by midi.

Does this work on your system?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

To fill in some more details, as the menu suggests, this option is for audio so if you want a midi track to be affected it is the resulting audio from the midi that will be bounced, e.g. the output from a soft synth.
If you are using external midi devices (external software or actual external hardware) you need to route their output into MusE before you can bounce.

If you have gotten past this, then it is as oscillator described; Bouce to track or file will record what goes to the main output from MusE. So if you want to bounce just a specific track, you should click solo on this track so it is the only thing making sound. If you want, you can solo several tracks if there are more than one track you want to end up in the bounce.
MusE DAW
garvalf
Established Member

Post by garvalf »

it's working fine, thank you. I've redirected a soft drumsynth into an audio track.

My mistake was I was hearing some drums, and I supposed it was some sort of built-in drum coming from Muse, but it was just from the master keyboard I was using, I forgot to mute it! When I've bounced i couldn't hear the drums!
dailybug2
Established Member

Post by dailybug2 »

I tried to bounce a soft synth to a track and this does not work! Only wave tracks can be bounced to a wave track. To "bounce" a part of a synth track to a wave track, you have to
- create the wave track
- set its audio input to the synth's output
- put track in record mode
- playback the desired section (punch-in punch-out)
That's inconvenient, but at least it is possible and the result is perfect and includes the effects.
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

dailybug2 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:12 pm I tried to bounce a soft synth to a track and this does not work! Only wave tracks can be bounced to a wave track. To "bounce" a part of a synth track to a wave track, you have to
- create the wave track
- set its audio input to the synth's output
- put track in record mode
- playback the desired section (punch-in punch-out)
That's inconvenient, but at least it is possible and the result is perfect and includes the effects.
Hmmm, that's wierd. Tried it now and it works here. Tested both an LV2 and a VST synth to be sure.
MusE DAW
dailybug2
Established Member

Post by dailybug2 »

Thanx for the info, once again I did something wrong. Muted MIDI track perhaps? This would be too stupid. Wasn't there the message "must select at least one wave track"?
I will try again.
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */
dailybug2
Established Member

Post by dailybug2 »

Yes, it works fine - I'm the bug :roll:
Sorry for the noise.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

No worries :) Talking about things are the best way to resolve how it works (not the least since documentation is somewhat lacking, though getting better!). And bouncing specifically involves several steps so it's not exactly straightforward.

I have been wanting to work on a 'freeze' feature where there is more or less one click to do the same, and without requiring additional tracks. We'll see...
MusE DAW