Notation Transpose + shortcuts

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

mickeyb
Established Member

Notation Transpose + shortcuts

Post by mickeyb »

Hi all,

I really need a DAW that does good audio, midi and scoring. I have just downloaded and built Muse and it looks like it ticks nearly every single box I need, but a few questions remain.

1) For sax, I would like to enter notes via keyboard (all good) but have the notation in the correct key - how can I do this please? If I transpose, then the notes sound wrong. Is there a bit I am missing? If not, can I create another track, say track 2, which is a copy of track 1 (and auto updates etc) but is transposed? Concert pitch I think is the correct term....

2) I use lots of different instruments, such as Surge etc. Is there a shortcut that opens the Native UI? Cannot find one....

3) Finally - can I make the UI generally bigger. I played with font and icon size, but the left hand mini-strip in particular I find hard to see - it is just a bit too small - when I get used to it it will be great at this size - but for learning - blow me its small.

Many thanks,

Mike
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Notation Transpose + shortcuts

Post by spamatica »

Hi Mike, thanks for the flowers,
mickeyb wrote:Hi all,

I really need a DAW that does good audio, midi and scoring. I have just downloaded and built Muse and it looks like it ticks nearly every single box I need, but a few questions remain.

1) For sax, I would like to enter notes via keyboard (all good) but have the notation in the correct key - how can I do this please? If I transpose, then the notes sound wrong. Is there a bit I am missing? If not, can I create another track, say track 2, which is a copy of track 1 (and auto updates etc) but is transposed? Concert pitch I think is the correct term....
Are you talking about the score editor or the pianoroll? I'm not very big on score myself, I believe the support we have is rather basic... could possibly be improved but we'd probably need to understand more what is missing.

If it's infact the pianoroll I think I need more info too :)
2) I use lots of different instruments, such as Surge etc. Is there a shortcut that opens the Native UI? Cannot find one....
Actually I think there isn't but that should be rather quick to fix. Do us a favour and add a ticket on github then I can fix it myself when I got time.
3) Finally - can I make the UI generally bigger. I played with font and icon size, but the left hand mini-strip in particular I find hard to see - it is just a bit too small - when I get used to it it will be great at this size - but for learning - blow me its small.
Aha, hidpi screen I suppose? Will have to see if there's anything more that can be done.
MusE DAW
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Not sure about score editor transposing and how we could do it there.
But for the piano graphic in the Pianoroll, we have had requests to be able to shift the note names.
In other words, all the note names C4 etc etc. would shift.

What I had in mind there, at least as a quick fix, is that luckily there is a small empty unused space
just above the piano graphic. We could put a drop-down box or spin box that adjusts and shifts the 'base' note.

Again, the score editor would be a different story I think, not sure how we can handle that one.
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

1. The score editor is quite rudimentary and has no support for dynamic transposing. I suppose that's what you mean: You want to enter the notes in the natural tuning of the instrument (e.g. sax, trumpet, clarinet in B, French horn in F etc.) but the playback of course has to be in C (concert pitch). I guess this function could be implemented, but you should first check if the score editor really meets your needs in all other respects (don't expect anything advanced like MuseScore or Rosegarden here). If yes, then please file a ticket on our github issues page for that too.

3. There should be no issues with HiDPI any more. Please describe the problem in more detail and add a screenshot if possible.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

About the 'left-hand mini strip' and strips in general:
Please try adjusting 'Font 1' size in the Appearance dialog.
That one adjusts the strip fonts. Great care was taken to ensure the strips scale properly when the font is adjusted.
Also, 'Font 6' adjusts the size of the track name label at the top of the strip.
Font 1 and 6 should do everything you want here.
Here is a snapshot of 'Font 1' default font size 7 vs. 12:
mixer strip font size demo 1.jpg
mixer strip font size demo 1.jpg (42.52 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

About transposing:
Could this be the solution you're looking for?
It transposes all notes being delivered to the device.
Your notes and notation can be in one key while the transpose control transposes the actual output to another key:
midi transpose 2.png
midi transpose 2.png (38.46 KiB) Viewed 935 times
mickeyb
Established Member

Post by mickeyb »

Many thanks to all who posted above.

Firstly, the font alterations worked perfectly - so many many thanks.

Secondly, will attempt to raise a ticket for the Native UI feature, but getting used to it already.

The transpose part I will try tonight when back home. Provided I can play a C on the midi keyboard, sound C on the virtual instrument and replay C on the virtual during playback AND then show the transposed NOTE in the notation score then that should do it!!!

Will try later and report back. I have a feeling it MAY work, depending on what it records...

(Bit of background if you are bored. I write tiny tunes, about 2 mins long which are typically pad or piano with bass/strings - and my wife plays the sax on top of this. I write the sax part typically, but when I print it for her to follow all hell breaks loose. This is just for fun, so don't want a huge workflow to follow to get perfect printouts, but the key and transposition is important)

Again thanks to all.

Mike