Major rewrite of plugin and cache system, needs testing

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Major rewrite of plugin and cache system, needs testing

Post by Tim E. Real »

Greetings! As we inch towards a final release, some issues popped up with our plugin and cache system.
See git issue 763.
If you were experiencing slow cache recreations every time MusE was started, due to duplicate LV2 plugin names, this likely will fix that.
This required a substantial rewrite.
If y'all can give it whirl and let me know if any trouble with plugins and cache system that'd be great. Thanks.

Here are the heavy details from ChangeLog:
Read it carefully. Like-named LV2 plugins are allowed now :)

Code: Select all

- Fix issue 763: Plugin cache recreated on each startup.
      When there was more than one LV2 plugin with the same name (but different uri)
       such as deteriorate.lv2/downsampler* and avw.lv2/downsampler*, the cache was
       recreated every time, and only ONE of the plugins was allowed, the other ignored.
      This MAJOR REWRITE of our cache and plugin system fixes that AND allows both
       plugins, as long as the uris are different (this is allowed in LV2).
      For example, both deteriorate.lv2/downsampler* and avw.lv2/downsampler* are now shown.
      The LV2 cache file has been ELIMINATED. It was useless, not necessary, caused problems.
      To distinguish between like-named plugins, several places where plugin names are shown
       now also show the uri either as a tooltip, or appended to the name, or replacing the
       library string, such as plugin dialog, synth menu, synth config, strip labels, tracklist...
      In addition, there was a problem with dssi-vst which caused cache recreation every time,
       since the dssi-vst library installs itself in BOTH the ldaspa and dssi folders. This has
       been fixed. The ladspa cache file now contains additional ladspa and dssi dssi-vst entries.
      TODO: There is a remaining problem: A shell plugin that reports no plugins may still
       trigger cache recreation every time because there is no entry in the cache file. Such as
       dssi-vst not finding any plugins. To fix this, the cache files must change from a 'flat'
       listing to one ALWAYS listing the shell plugins - and the plugins they contain (if any).
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Major rewrite of plugin and cache system, needs testing

Post by funkmuscle »

I will test after I'm finished the drums on a new project just in case things go south on me.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Compiled latest, and everything seems to work! Nice!

I get a warning that I am opening an old version song file now (3.2 when current is 3.3). What new features are supported?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

oscillator wrote:Compiled latest, and everything seems to work! Nice!

I get a warning that I am opening an old version song file now (3.2 when current is 3.3). What new features are supported?
Exactly the same thing and everything is great at my end. Thanks for the great work guys!
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Sometimes it is necessary to bump up the song file version when things change.
In this case it was only some track list header info that changed, so it should be relatively benign.

The important thing is that the plugin cache should cause a slow update just once,
then after that starting up MusE should be normal fast speed - until you change / install / delete a plugin,
then the cache will re-scan again, once.
If the cache is causing a slow re-scanning every time MusE is started, that ain't right.
Let me know about if that happens. Thanks.