how to render stems in MusE?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

funkmuscle
Established Member

how to render stems in MusE?

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey, I've recorded my midi drums from drumgizmo into individual tracks in MusE and now I want each stem exported so I can add to song in Mixbus.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: how to render stems in MusE?

Post by Tim E. Real »

Not sure what you mean by stem.
Each drum note type? (Bass, snare etc.)

Check our midi import/export dialog in Settings.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Tim E. Real wrote:Not sure what you mean by stem.
Each drum note type? (Bass, snare etc.)

Check our midi import/export dialog in Settings.
Hi Tim
Stems are the individual audio tracks in the session. Many DAWs now have the ability to export them separately in one go so a session can be imported into another DAW.

It has become quite a standard DAW agnostic way of passing a session around and especially for sending it to a mixing engineer.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

What common format or guidelines are used? MusicXML or something else?
I'm guessing there must be some kind of list file pointing to all the audio tracks used?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Tim E. Real wrote:What common format or guidelines are used? MusicXML or something else?
I'm guessing there must be some kind of list file pointing to all the audio tracks used?
I most DAWS, you have a 'render' or 'export' option of each track so like EnglishGuy said, you can send to a mixing engineer or like in my case, to mix the individual tracks in MixBus or Ardour, etc.
So what I've done was to create a drum midi using drumgizmo in MusE. Then I recorded each instrument of the kit to it's own track. Now I need to export each track individually so I can import each to their own track in MixBus.
If you look at Ardour under ' File>Export, you'll see the option for Stems. You'd choose that then the channel tab, you choose the tracks you want to export individually and you'd select them. You now will end up with an exported wav file for each track in the export folder. From there you can import into another DAW.
So in other words, can I export individual wav tracks as I can midi tracks in MusE?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Okay I think I have solved this issue. In the muse folder where all the .med files are saved it also automatically renders or export all the wave files. I found that out by right clicking on one of the wav files I recorded and went to wav info and there it told me what folder I can actually find every individual track so it looks like Muse does it automatically. That's actually amazing because it saves time.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

OK I'll have to look into this.
There must be some kind of file describing what is to be imported?

There's a couple of things in MusE:
You can clean out any unused wave files in File -> Find unused waves.
That should make navigating all the stored files easier.

FYI The wave files created and used by MusE are floating point.
They weren't really anticipated to be used externally, per se, although that shouldn't be a problem.
Instead, one typically uses the 'bounce' feature of MusE to mix down to a more standard 16-bit integer wave file.
But that's for the whole project not individual tracks. :(

Our brain-dead Clip List Editor has been dormant for years. It does nothing ATM but show useless wave file references.
I have a branch where the Clip List finally gets a big boost with actual useful clip editing and movement and so on.
Maybe I can add a feature that allows exporting individual tracks.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Yes I just figured out that it's only floating points. It's actually more work because now I have to line things up. Yes it looks like we really need a way to export wav files the same way you can export the midi .
Even as I have every instrument on its own track I tried sinking Muse with Ardour and recording each track individually but when I try to solo an instrument it seemed to link itself to another one so I for instance if I wanted to do the snare drum and I chose to solo that in the mixer it also solos the kick drum. No matter what part of the drum kit I tried to solo it was so low that and the kick drum with it so even trying to do it the way by sinking both software together it's not allowing me. It looks like the only way to accomplish this is to be able to export each track individually.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Tim E. Real wrote:OK I'll have to look into this.
You can do this in Ardour if you want to see it in action.