Muse editor blank

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

funkmuscle
Established Member

Muse editor blank

Post by funkmuscle »

hey guys, the latest git pull seem to have issues with the editor.
I have no template and no notes yet you can hear the drums I was editing.
no notes.png
no notes.png (79.3 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
as you can see in the arranger, I have notes or I should say midi events
MusE.png
MusE.png (201.58 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Muse editor blank

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hi. Strange. Can you post or send me that *.med file?
I will investigate immediately.

Also, what Qt version do you have, and what OS?

And, was this a pre-existing song that was opened (how old is it?) or a new, fresh song?

Thanks.
Tim.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Tim E. Real wrote:Hi. Strange. Can you post or send me that *.med file?
I will investigate immediately.

Also, what Qt version do you have, and what OS?

And, was this a pre-existing song that was opened (how old is it?) or a new, fresh song?

Thanks.
Tim.
this was a new .med as my friend sent me the drums recorded with a Roland V-Drums kit. They captured the midi events.
the funny thing is that if I add the midi events track, I can see in editor. Save and close then reopen and the editor shows as the pic above.

I just opened it up again and the my editing track is blank, added the original track and I can edit it.. Save and close then reopen and both tracks are blank.
Qt-5.12.2 on Arch
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

OK Just a shot in the dark but can you try first backing up your 'MusE.cfg' and 'MusE-qt.conf' files in the ~./config folder
and then delete them? If nothing changes upon MusE startup you may restore the originals again and we'll go from there.

That's quite worrying. Not sure what the heck would cause that. Doesn't sound good...
In the ChangeLog, maybe my major graphics changes of 21.01.2019 ? Or maybe the 'stop heartbeat timer' of 24.01.2019
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Tim E. Real wrote:OK Just a shot in the dark but can you try first backing up your 'MusE.cfg' and 'MusE-qt.conf' files in the ~./config folder
and then delete them? If nothing changes upon MusE startup you may restore the originals again and we'll go from there.

That's quite worrying. Not sure what the heck would cause that. Doesn't sound good...
In the ChangeLog, maybe my major graphics changes of 21.01.2019 ? Or maybe the 'stop heartbeat timer' of 24.01.2019
nope, didn't work
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Observation:
The picture shows that apparently one drum note is selected, otherwise the Length, Pitch, Velo on Velo off, etc would be grayed out.
And likely one and only one drum note selected because otherwise the little icon to the left of the 'Start' label would be a
green + red icon meaning relative adjustment which is the default icon when more than one drum note is selected.

So... If one drum note is apparently selected, then why is that 'Len' box value zero? And why is the velocity-on just '1'?
[Edit:] Eh, sorry I believe those are just the defaults BEFORE the Editor canvas is created - which lends serious credence to
to the second theory below - that it's failing to create or update because it SHOULD be grayed out, you've not selected anything.

Either you have imported a midi file that does not have any note-offs (plausible since it's a drum track) and MusE is not handling it correctly
or there are note-offs but zero length, or something else is going on like serious freezing or failure to create or update the Editor Canvas component.
The latter is plausible since there are apparently no Drum List entries on the left - BUT - that might be caused by something else...

Can you do me a wee test favour?

In the Arranger, right-click on the Drum Track's name column and select 'Load track's drum list'.
In the resulting file dialog click the 'Global' button, and load any built-in drum map like say sc-88-pc1.map
See anything in the Editor Drum List panel now?

Also please can you do another Editor screenshot but zoom out a bit so I can see the whole window?
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

this was a new .med as my friend sent me the drums recorded with a Roland V-Drums kit. They captured the midi events.
the funny thing is that if I add the midi events track, I can see in editor. Save and close then reopen and the editor shows as the pic above.
I just opened it up again and the my editing track is blank, added the original track and I can edit it.. Save and close then reopen and both tracks are blank.
I've tried to recreate here but can't.
There might be clues in the original midi file and/or the saved *.med file.
If possible please post or send them.
Thanks.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hold the presses! I've reproduced it.

Hang in there will try to investigate...
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Aha ! I knew it!
After I looked in my saved *.med file, while I waited for a fresh pull of master to build so I could prove,
I reasoned away that this section of *.med file might be the cause and if not certainly needs attention:

Code: Select all

<drum_ordering>
Can you guess why?
Duplicate, blank track names in the song cause that section to screw up and the canvas never is created !
(Notice that each of that drum_ordering entry RELIES on a unique track name, unlike the rest of MusE.)
The new drums and drum ordering were added by Florian.

Possible workarounds for now:
1) After importing your midi tracks, manually rename your tracks ! You will be prompted to choose unique names, fixing the problem.
Sucks, yeah.
2) Remove that section from your *.med file. The file will load. Meh, but then when you save it again the same thing will happen.

Coincidence, I was studying the drum_ordering section just a few days ago, and vowed once and for all to try and optimize it.
That section is huge! (Also the 200 midi ports sections - that's my fault.)

Possible fix: It seems obvious to me, and why didn't I see this until now.
Each drum_ordering entry has a 'track' (name) tying it to a track!
Thus, each of those drum_ordering entries can be moved right into the track xml entries, found elsewhere, above.
Thus, each track xml entry can then STILL retain its uniqueness even without a unique identifying number or string of any kind
and still be self-contained (as it always has been in MusE), AND have duplicate blank track names.

However, with that fix out of the way, I would still recommend that some day tracks should get a unique identifier number,
for cases just like this. (Heck, we gave them to Parts and Events, and some other things.)
It's very important also because if track properties and names were to be displayed in a standard list box for example,
we MUST have something uniquely identifying them to tie each list box entry to them.

Note that importing midi files into MusE is the ONLY case where duplicate track names are allowed. Often they are blank.
This is to preserve the original structure as much as possible (WYSIWYG).

Ye wouldn't want us to auto-name 'em, would ye?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

ok so I've loaded the .med and of course the editor is blank.
I named the tracks but the editor is still blank.
loaded the track's drum list and that worked.

Will that be necessary from here on in?
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Until it is fixed, yes, I suppose.
I'll try to fix it today.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Tim E. Real wrote:Until it is fixed, yes, I suppose.
I'll try to fix it today.
perfect.. thanks again
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Oh yeah Tim, I forgot to mention that also deleting a track freezes MusE and then it crashes.. This happened before the latest git upgrade.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hm, I've not noticed anything with deletion.
It would depend on what track and how complex the song is, what the track is driving (synth etc.),
whether there are any plugins in the track and so on.

Bear with me for the import fix.
I discovered that besides the 'drum_ordering' sections wanting to use the track names,
we also have the 'route' sections wanting to use the track names.
Bug: If you import midi tracks with duplicate (blank) track names, and then try to assign an input source route to them
with the routing buttons or the router, the saved song file ignores them!
Luckily nobody's ever complained so far because usually nobody wants to record on top of an imported track
and therefore they would not normally assign a midi input source to the track.

So I think I have a simple solution.
It won't require much and I won't even have to give tracks a unique identifier number like I thought.
I'll simply replace the track names in those song file sections with the track index - that is the index of
the tracks as they appear in the song file. Tracks have no 'index' value or unique id of any kind
but rather their order in the song file is the 'index'. So I've examined all the code and I see
that my fix should work. Will try today...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Tim E. Real wrote:Hm, I've not noticed anything with deletion.
It would depend on what track and how complex the song is, what the track is driving (synth etc.),
whether there are any plugins in the track and so on.

Bear with me for the import fix.
I discovered that besides the 'drum_ordering' sections wanting to use the track names,
we also have the 'route' sections wanting to use the track names.
Bug: If you import midi tracks with duplicate (blank) track names, and then try to assign an input source route to them
with the routing buttons or the router, the saved song file ignores them!
Luckily nobody's ever complained so far because usually nobody wants to record on top of an imported track
and therefore they would not normally assign a midi input source to the track.

So I think I have a simple solution.
It won't require much and I won't even have to give tracks a unique identifier number like I thought.
I'll simply replace the track names in those song file sections with the track index - that is the index of
the tracks as they appear in the song file. Tracks have no 'index' value or unique id of any kind
but rather their order in the song file is the 'index'. So I've examined all the code and I see
that my fix should work. Will try today...
awesome about the fix.
the synth on the track I tried deleting is DrumGizmo