tempo ramping and releave vs git master

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

finotti
Established Member

tempo ramping and releave vs git master

Post by finotti »

I was wondering if Muse has tempo ramping, like Ardour. (I could not find it in 3.0pre2.)

Is that even a MIDI standard? My plan was to sequence in Muse and then record and mix in Ardour, so, if there is tempo ramping, it would need it to be compatible.

Also, I was going to compile 3.0.2 today, but I use Debian Sid, which is in the middle of a QT transition... Anyway, would you recommend installing the release version or the git version. (I was hoping there would be a KXStudio package, but it's taking too long. I've compiled 3.0pre2, so hopefully it will go smoothly.)
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: tempo ramping and releave vs git master

Post by Tim E. Real »

finotti wrote:I was wondering if Muse has tempo ramping, like Ardour. (I could not find it in 3.0pre2.)

Is that even a MIDI standard? My plan was to sequence in Muse and then record and mix in Ardour, so, if there is tempo ramping, it would need it to be compatible.
I know of no specific tempo ramping feature in standard midi, the tempo value simply changes over time in a midi file or a midi stream with clock.
In MusE there's a tempo ramp drawing feature. From the Arranger menu, Edit > Mastertrack > Graphic, click the 'draw' tool (right of the eraser),
and then draw a ramp on the canvas.
It might be hard to see any 'lassoo' lines as you are drawing, I can't, I think we have a wee problem with pen width.

OK so that takes care of ramping in MusE. But to sync with Ardour is a tricky question.
Short answer is currently the most likely to work would be midi sync using midi 'clock' .
Pick a choice regarding direction: MusE is the master of Ardour or Ardour is the master of MusE.
Set up each app to send (the master) or receive (the slave) midi sync. Each app has a dialog where you can do that.
See our Midi Sync dialog.

One problem is that each app has its own time line and tempo map.
There is currently no way for MusE's time line to show the same thing as Ardour's.
There is a proposal (mine, old) to have Jack share a tempo map between apps.
There is some un-activated code in MusE, mine, old, work in progress type stuff, which lets MusE's Bar Beat and Tick
be controlled by Jack Transport's BBT. It doesn't solve the tempo map problem.
But beyond that I'm afraid it's likely only syncing with midi clock that would work.
I studied a solution, and several years ago someone actually submitted a patch but it got lost in the shuffle.
The solution was to have MusE 'record' the tempos into its tempo map which Ardour emits as it plays.
Actually now that I think of it, yes, MusE does allow you to record incoming external midi clock tempos into its tempo map !
I added that a couple of years ago during an external sync overhaul.
Ask if you need help, see the Midi Sync dialog.
Caveat: I have not tried tempo syncing MusE with Ardour recently, and have never tried recording the tempos from Ardour
or other apps, but I know it (mostly) works well with external midi devices, so do try.
finotti
Established Member

Re: tempo ramping and releave vs git master

Post by finotti »

Thanks, Tim, for the very helpful response! I will give it a try! In the worst case scenario will sequence without ramping in MuSE and then add it after I import the MIDI in Ardour.

(Now I just need to be able to run MuSE... See: viewtopic.php?p=92028#p92028 I will try a new install from Git master.)