Why the notation editor is so important

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA, spamatica

Basslint
Established Member

Why the notation editor is so important

Post by Basslint »

MusE's notation editor is IMHO the feature which sets it apart from other DAWs and sequencers.

No other FLOSS program with music notation support in my experience has audio capabilities as advanced as MusE's.

While other DAWs offer excellent audio (Ardour) and MIDI sequencing (LMMS, Qtractor, Zrythm), MusE is the only one which also offers a notation editor.

These are only my thoughts, of course, which I just wanted to share :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Re: Why the notation editor is so important

Post by oscillator »

I have never used it, but if it works, I am sure that I will.

I recently (for the first time in my life) scored some music for flute and clarinet, and I did that by hand, even though the music partly was already recorded in MusE. Maybe MusE can already do this? I have to check it out!

Thanks for reminding me, @Basslint!
MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Stable/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

oscillator wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:25 am I have never used it, but if it works, I am sure that I will.

I recently (for the first time in my life) scored some music for flute and clarinet, and I did that by hand, even though the music partly was already recorded in MusE. Maybe MusE can already do this? I have to check it out!

Thanks for reminding me, @Basslint!
I have to thank you because before our collaboration I did not really take MusE into consideration - as a guitar player, Ardour felt simply too comfortable! Then I thought, MusE 4 recently came out, why I don't give it a try? And went on their issue tracker to find a very pleasant and welcoming environment! So much that I'm already trying to contribute to MusE.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Basslint wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:24 am I have to thank you because before our collaboration I did not really take MusE into consideration - as a guitar player, Ardour felt simply too comfortable! Then I thought, MusE 4 recently came out, why I don't give it a try? And went on their issue tracker to find a very pleasant and welcoming environment! So much that I'm already trying to contribute to MusE.
That is great in so many ways! :)

Welcome @Basslint! We are happy to have you here! :)
MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Stable/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik
garvalf
Established Member

Post by garvalf »

Basslint wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:03 am MusE is the only one which also offers a notation editor.
and what about Rosegarden? It has all those features as well I suppose? (But I feel more confortable with MusE!)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

garvalf wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 pm and what about Rosegarden? It has all those features as well I suppose? (But I feel more confortable with MusE!)
Rosegarden does not try to be a DAW, sadly. If they did, they would implement LV2 at the very least. :?

tezzerii

Post by tezzerii »

It's important to me because I have often had sheet music to play on midi.
I can read music, but not fluently, I don't sight read - so being able to copy onto a music stave is so useful.
Ok, I could do it in Musescore and import it, but I don't have to !
Also, I love that you can drag the note length on the stave - I've not seen that feature in any other app with a stave editor.
MusE has become my go-to sequencer because it does everything I need. I like LMMS because it's simple, just works without any complicated setup, and has lots of built-in stuff. Also like the beat-bassline editor - but there are limitations I don't have with MusE. Eg no drum editor, no stave input.